PDA

View Full Version : New car time... opinions.

ZS Phil
10-11-17, 09:46 AM
So, after 2 years of my TD being gradually restored in the garage, my race car being not exactly a daily (or road legal) and the 45 coming off the road for winter, I've found myself with loads of cars but non I actually want to use on a daily basis for fear of ruining them.
Our cars, as much as I love them, are getting long in the tooth and require almost continuous work to keep them tip top... which is fine for a toy/ weekend car but for hassle free commuting I'm at the stage where I need to start looking at other alternatives.
I've been in this position before and ended up with a dull as dish water BMW 330d. It was fast in a straight line but other than that it was just plain boring in just about every way so it went after just 18 months and I carried on with my MG Rovers. The lesson from that was being a sheep and going for the typical German rep mobile was the wrong move for me. So that rules out any boring stuff like that.
I think I want what would be an evolution of what the ZS was. Something relatively practical with reasonable pace and most importantly, a well sorted chassis. Essentially a more modern hot hatch. That said, I'm nearly 30 and don't want anything too loud and in your face like the new civic type r for example, as good as it looks I'd feel a bit of a tool being seen in one anywhere other than outside JD Sports or McDonald's.

I've come up with a bit of a short list, what are your opinions/ experiences of these? Any other suggestions?

1. Renaultsport Megane RS250/ 265. I'm going to look at a grey 250 cup (limited slip diff and stiffer springs/ roll bars than the sport model) tomorrow. Seems a bargain compared to the rest of the list...

2. Mk3 octavia VRS estate petrol. Looks ok I think, quite subtle. Gets great reviews but strikes me as a jack of all trades compromise sort of hot hatch (estate).

3. Leon cupra 280 hatch. Again great reviews and sounds like a wolf in sheep's clothing which I like. I'm just not sure if it looks a little too plain. (I don't want a golf r because it's a golf and everybody has one, also they are over priced in my opinion compared to the seat).

4. Focus ST mk3. Again probably in estate form as I think it looks better than the hatch. Just not sure the "fast ford", baseball cap on the wrong way image is for me. I can't afford an RS...

5. Audi, BMW, Merc, yawn, grey, bland, boring, travel lodge, polyester trousers, Bluetooth tusk, traffic jam, every man and his dog, just can't see me going down that route again.

What have I missed??

LukeZS96
10-11-17, 10:28 AM
Octavia VRS without a question or shadow of a doubt for me. They are practical, reliable, comfortable for cruising down the motorway but show it a back road and put the boot down it is a great drive. Pretty much on par with the ZS handling wise and has plenty of poke. I'm in the exact same position as you are. My ZS has 284k KMs on the clock and I want to keep it as a weekend toy and get something else as a daily beater. I just haven't got the money this side of christmas so it will be a new car in the new year for me aswell

jc600
10-11-17, 11:44 AM
For me either the Focus ST estate or MK3 Octavia VRS.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Dan1971
10-11-17, 02:39 PM
Budget? What sort of a daily drive have you got? Motorway, stop start etc? The Renault will be tough I reckon and although very highly rated, I reckon it's one for very keen drivers on A roads and the occassional track.

From the list I'd go Seat. The ST estate's a good car. I had one. Torque steer was awful, but then again I should've just calmedmyself and kept it really. I'd have another. ST3 has all the toys, but I'd get a 2 so long as it had the upgrade grey alloys and red calipers.

Test drove a DSG seat cupra before placing the order for my 335. Snarling performance. Quite brutal at times. Harsh ride though made me go for another BMW.

Have a look at a 135i ..... Practical 5 dr with manual or auto with RWD and sub 5.0 to 60.

(Even though I'm very much on of those polyester trouser wearing boring guys .... ;))

talkingcars
10-11-17, 05:32 PM
I expect to be in an Alfa next.

ZS
10-11-17, 07:27 PM
From that list the only car I would consider is the VRS... the rest just are not me and don't appeal :)

That being said, I am not you, infact only you are you ;) so only you can decide which is best for you. I don't like the modern BMWs (that being said, an M3 -E90- is starting the grow on me, but its hardly a modern BMW these days!) or any Renault, but thats my personal opinion, you might have other opinions.

Actually I would have difficulty choosing any modern car (within the last 5 - 7 year age bracket) that is decent price anyway (again definitions of decently priced may vary between people)

it's your car, test drive a few and make a decision on which you prefer :) - whichever way you go, good luck and post pictures to show us :pepsi:

Mark S
10-11-17, 07:32 PM
in your list the leon, personally is go alfa 1750tb tct guilietta

ZS Phil
10-11-17, 09:54 PM
Octavia VRS without a question or shadow of a doubt for me. They are practical, reliable, comfortable for cruising down the motorway but show it a back road and put the boot down it is a great drive. Pretty much on par with the ZS handling wise and has plenty of poke. I'm in the exact same position as you are. My ZS has 284k KMs on the clock and I want to keep it as a weekend toy and get something else as a daily beater. I just haven't got the money this side of christmas so it will be a new car in the new year for me aswell

After I'd written the post I went and looked at a vRS, a real high spec TDI with DSG estate. All the toys, larger sat nav system, auto park, heated screen, sub woofer in boot etc etc.
I actually liked it far more than I thought I would, not exactly what I'd call quick but plenty of torque and DSG is effortless.
The thing I liked most was how much of a quality product it felt. I couldn't really push it too much handling wise on a 5 mile test drive but for a road car I'm sure it will be adequate.
Very tempted but need to see this Renault first and ideally take a petrol VRS out (300bhp after a basic map is appealing)

For me either the Focus ST estate or MK3 Octavia VRS.

I'm leaning away from the focus I think but see my reply above for the vRS! Definitely a consideration.

Budget? What sort of a daily drive have you got? Motorway, stop start etc? The Renault will be tough I reckon and although very highly rated, I reckon it's one for very keen drivers on A roads and the occassional track.

From the list I'd go Seat. The ST estate's a good car. I had one. Torque steer was awful, but then again I should've just calmedmyself and kept it really. I'd have another. ST3 has all the toys, but I'd get a 2 so long as it had the upgrade grey alloys and red calipers.

Test drove a DSG seat cupra before placing the order for my 335. Snarling performance. Quite brutal at times. Harsh ride though made me go for another BMW.

Have a look at a 135i ..... Practical 5 dr with manual or auto with RWD and sub 5.0 to 60.

(Even though I'm very much on of those polyester trouser wearing boring guys .... ;))

When we move house in a few weeks my commute will be around 30-40 mins each way comprising mostly of nice flowing B roads with some some 50mph stop start A roads. Other than leisure, hardly any motorway work.
I remember you getting the ST3 and saying you loved it at first but I also remember you getting shut soon after and getting a fiesta 1.0. I guess I'd need to drive one but I think your experiences concur with most reviews (which are taken with a pinch of salt of course). I much prefer the facelift but thats push my budget somewhat, especially for an ST3. Good to hear some real world feedback though, so cheers for that.
Haha, my German car banter is all in jest! Truth be told, I've driven big diesel engined Audis and BMWs and they are well put together, comfortable and very effective mile munchers, I have to give them that. I've never driven a proper performance orientated one though, maybe I should? I guess its a double edged sword, the fact that they are so popular is probably not without good cause but for me its the popularity and "keeping up with the Joneses" aspect of them that puts me off. Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

I did briefly consider a 159 2.4 JTDM but they are getting on a bit now. The little Mito and Guilietta do nothing for me and the new saloon (whatever its called) is too new and expensive.

From that list the only car I would consider is the VRS... the rest just are not me and don't appeal :)

That being said, I am not you, infact only you are you ;) so only you can decide which is best for you. I don't like the modern BMWs (that being said, an M3 -E90- is starting the grow on me, but its hardly a modern BMW these days!) or any Renault, but thats my personal opinion, you might have other opinions.

Actually I would have difficulty choosing any modern car (within the last 5 - 7 year age bracket) that is decent price anyway (again definitions of decently priced may vary between people)

it's your car, test drive a few and make a decision on which you prefer :) - whichever way you go, good luck and post pictures to show us :pepsi:

This is the exact problem I've got, new(ish) cars just don't have the same appeal as stuff that's older. I think that's largely down to what you grew up with though. I'm hoping to be able to drag myself into the present without kicking and screaming too much along the way.
As above, I drove a MK3 vRS today, albeit an oil burner, but was pleasantly surprised.

in your list the leon, personally is go alfa 1750tb tct guilietta
Have you driven the Alfa Jason? Whats the chassis like? I cant see me going for one, I just cant get on with the looks. Why the tct over manual out of interest?

So, need to go and get this megane out of my system tomorrow and take it from there. Its the cheapest in the short list and potentially the sweetest chassis if the road tests are to be believed but we'll see!

jc600
10-11-17, 10:16 PM
I was looking for a more modern car to use for shows, weekends and family car now that the Freelander has no boot. And has become my work horse.

Looked at so many cars, most newer ones had such high mileage or were boring. I wasn't too bothered about power. But made sure I could remap them with good results.

I was close to buying a Octavia VRS, petrol 1.8T. Was nice to drive, comfortable etc but I just don't know if I like the look of them. It's that front grill!

So in the end, I ended up with another ZS lol.

Think the diesel VRS with DSG box would be the best option for you, by what you've said so far.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Mark S
11-11-17, 08:55 AM
looked at honda dc2? dc5? fd? fk?

if you want back to basics nasp, stop on a penny and amazing handling then have a drive in a dc2, personally i’d go abs model

ZS Phil
11-11-17, 09:28 AM
looked at honda dc2? dc5? fd? fk?

if you want back to basics nasp, stop on a penny and amazing handling then have a drive in a dc2, personally i’d go abs model

Trouble with those is they are all getting old- same sort of era as the ZS so no doubt keeping on top of rust and wear/ tear items is going to be not much different to my Rovers in the work that's needed to keep them good. That's what I'm trying to get away from hence looking at newer stuff.
Those RS megans always seem to go ok on track days and the press love them so I think Ill go and test drive the RS 250 today and make my own mind up about it. If I cant get on with it maybe try a Cupra 280 if I can find one I can afford within a million mile radius! Failing that, I did quite like the vRS, just felt plush although not very quick I must admit. Ample for a road car though.

Dan1971
11-11-17, 12:43 PM
Trouble with those is they are all getting old- same sort of era as the ZS so no doubt keeping on top of rust and wear/ tear items is going to be not much different to my Rovers in the work that's needed to keep them good. That's what I'm trying to get away from hence looking at newer stuff.
Those RS megans always seem to go ok on track days and the press love them so I think Ill go and test drive the RS 250 today and make my own mind up about it. If I cant get on with it maybe try a Cupra 280 if I can find one I can afford within a million mile radius! Failing that, I did quite like the vRS, just felt plush although not very quick I must admit. Ample for a road car though.

I think you're gonna go for the Renault if it's in decent condition. Still waiting for the budget?

ZS Phil
11-11-17, 04:10 PM
I think you're gonna go for the Renault if it's in decent condition. Still waiting for the budget?

You were right, just driven it home. Absolutely love it :D

talkingcars
11-11-17, 06:40 PM

I did briefly consider a 159 2.4 JTDM but they are getting on a bit now. The little Mito and Guilietta do nothing for me and the new saloon (whatever its called) is too new and expensive.

I am in the same positon with too many cars needing love and not enough time for them all.

We actually went over to a localish independent Alfa dealer this afternoon to sit in a couple of models. I was rather taken by the 159 and the Brera but I really want a 3.2, I don't want a 1.7 turbo or any sort of diesel and they are in rather sort supply.

Supercharged_Z
12-11-17, 06:23 AM
I currently have a track day supercharged clio

The respect for the Megane is a lot higher than I realised very sorted motors right out the box.

The vrs etc are ok but are hardly a big spec

Also if there anything like the clio there huge fun

Mark S
12-11-17, 10:22 AM
I am in the same positon with too many cars needing love and not enough time for them all.

We actually went over to a localish independent Alfa dealer this afternoon to sit in a couple of models. I was rather taken by the 159 and the Brera but I really want a 3.2, I don't want a 1.7 turbo or any sort of diesel and they are in rather sort supply.

just make sure its not fitted with the vauxhall m32 box, it will forever need rebuilds!

The Ti is the one to have in 159 format, but with big rims comes the need to polybush the front compliance bush else your front tyres will last 4k miles only.

The 2.4jtd is a bit heavy, the 1.9 is good with a remap, sluggish without but has that awful M32 box.

The 2.0jtdm came with (I think) the F40 box which is not a bad box, this is the diesel choice.

Never really had the petrols, the 2.2 never appealed and my only experience of the v6 was older gen, great sound, pulled well, revved well, but could drink the fuel.

A remapped diesel will be quick, and offer great economy.

Skillen
12-11-17, 12:48 PM
You were right, just driven it home. Absolutely love it :D

My brother had one of them, was a great drive, could really chuck it around and it flew when you put your foot down!
I’d have one.
He had a full spec cup. The recaros were great and somehow comfy I’m not sure the 19” wheels helped handling or accelerating but they looked great and it still slung itself around handily.

I want one now I’m remembering it 😂

p_b82
12-11-17, 04:50 PM
I would have looked at GT86's or mayb a couple of others for something a bit different but fun too and not hugely expensive....

But I'm sure that megane will be a blast!

If I had more space I'd be looking for another runabout type car - something smaller than the mustang, and less of a diva than the ZS!

Problem is - I work from home, I would struggle to find a good reason to run three cars! :D

Supercharged_Z
13-11-17, 03:54 AM
If you don’t need 4 seats a s2000 ticks the boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZS Phil
13-11-17, 07:40 AM

The 3.2 would be nice but very thirsty I bet. I love the front end on them, very unique. A 159 2.4 JTDM mapped would be my choice in that line up, sound quite fruity for a diesel.

I currently have a track day supercharged clio

The respect for the Megane is a lot higher than I realised very sorted motors right out the box.

The vrs etc are ok but are hardly a big spec

Also if there anything like the clio there huge fun

Good to hear :)
Which clio have you got?
I had a 172 a few years ago which was great fun.
The Megane is great for what I want, glad I bought it but probably not to everyone's taste. Im surprised by how grown up it can be yet throw it around a bit and it really comes into its own. Exactly what I wanted, something to munch up the commute but put a smile on my face on the B road section of it.

If you don’t need 4 seats a s2000 ticks the boxes

I agree but unfortunately not much room for 2 mountain bikes in the back so the Magane is about as small as I can get away with really as my other half has a Cooper S so needed something to put the shopping in!
I think I'll be happy with the RS as long as it behaves and stays reliable

My brother had one of them, was a great drive, could really chuck it around and it flew when you put your foot down!
I’d have one.
He had a full spec cup. The recaros were great and somehow comfy I’m not sure the 19” wheels helped handling or accelerating but they looked great and it still slung itself around handily.

I want one now I’m remembering it 😂

I remember you saying about your brother's one. Sounds like he had the "full fat" as its known, probably the most desirable one for most people, not least for the Recaros. I would have been tempted but they seem to go for top money.
I settled on the simplest, lightest and arguably best handling one. A factory Cup 250 with 18" wheels and the Michelin Pilot sport tyres, LSD, cloth seats (which actually are basically the same as MG Monacos), no climate control, sat nav or anything like that. Its got standard fit cruise control and bluetooth and thats about it. My only criticism so far is that the stereo is absolute sh**.

I would have looked at GT86's or mayb a couple of others for something a bit different but fun too and not hugely expensive....

But I'm sure that megane will be a blast!

If I had more space I'd be looking for another runabout type car - something smaller than the mustang, and less of a diva than the ZS!

Problem is - I work from home, I would struggle to find a good reason to run three cars! :D

Now you mention it I did consider a GT86 but I was taken out in one when they first came out and was very underwhelmed by it on the roads. Im sure they would be great fun on a circuit though despite their lack of power. Power isn't everything.
Haha talking about justifying a number of cars, you should see our driveway, its almost embarrassing justifying it (even though I cant really) to non car people.
I'd happily take the Mustang and your ZS as a "do everything" collection.

Supercharged_Z
14-11-17, 08:13 AM
My clio is a clio RS200 with added supercharger

Did bedford in it yesterday was a great hoon

Out of your list i would pick the megane every day

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4449/37413298316_0b72c698cf_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Z15W8w)upload_2017-9-17_17-1-29 (https://flic.kr/p/Z15W8w) by Ross c (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101206535@N08/), on Flickr

ZS Phil
14-11-17, 04:31 PM
Now that looks awesome! I bet it goes some too.
Yeah, no regrets at all so far for picking the rs 250.

ZS Phil
07-03-18, 06:20 PM
Well that lasted about 20 minutes.
The Renault was great from a performance/ handling point of view, looked good too in my opinion but it was just missing something which I couldn't put my finger on... probably an MG badge.
Anyway, it's gone to make space for a ZT-T v8. Something I've wanted for years. Let's see if this one stays a bit longer!

Skillen
07-03-18, 07:29 PM
Well that lasted about 20 minutes.
The Renault was great from a performance/ handling point of view, looked good too in my opinion but it was just missing something which I couldn't put my finger on... probably an MG badge.
Anyway, it's gone to make space for a ZT-T v8. Something I've wanted for years. Let's see if this one stays a bit longer!

Ooooh! Nice.
I looked for some estates the other week too and they were the first ones I looked for.
Look forward to hearing about it! Won’t be long till you get it modified I imagine.

p_b82
08-03-18, 09:20 AM
Nice - I was considering one before I bought the mustang.

If you really were pressed about the Renault - what didn't you like?

Seating position, visibility out, sound of the squeaks and rattles (more or less than an old MG?) etc?

There's always something - I really don't like my mum's MKI TT; find it so claustrophobic and I think visibility out is appalling too.

Supercharged_Z
08-03-18, 03:24 PM
its funny when you dont gel with something, i have done that a lot of times

Dan1971
08-03-18, 06:23 PM
The silver one for 10K off the bay of E by any chance .... or have you got it already?

Dan1971
08-03-18, 06:26 PM
or .... the 400bhp S charged grey one?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/117397475/mg-zt-t260-se-2004-xpower-grey-supercharged-estate.html?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=trovitcars

ZS Phil
08-03-18, 07:41 PM
Ooooh! Nice.
I looked for some estates the other week too and they were the first ones I looked for.
Look forward to hearing about it! Won’t be long till you get it modified I imagine.

Cheers Callum,
How are you getting on with yours?
I really like the zt platform, even with a diesel engine would make a great daily and if you like your toys plenty of options to retro fit.
At the moment it's pretty much standard SE spec so all the toys. Custom back boxes which look stock and that's it. Other than keeping it in too condition I don't have any real plans for it, I've got the 2 ZSs and 45 to tinker with.
That said, a supercharger would be a good winter project for next year, well see I guess :D.

Nice - I was considering one before I bought the mustang.

If you really were pressed about the Renault - what didn't you like?

Seating position, visibility out, sound of the squeaks and rattles (more or less than an old MG?) etc?

There's always something - I really don't like my mum's MKI TT; find it so claustrophobic and I think visibility out is appalling too.

Honestly, very little I didn't like about the Renault. It was just a bit modern and mainstream. I've wanted a v8 zt for years and can't really explain why, they are slow, thirsty, parts are a nightmare to source and developed on a shoe string budget. It has something in bucket loads though which is so hard to find, charm... and a sound to die for!

its funny when you dont gel with something, i have done that a lot of times

Yeah, I liked the Renault but I didn't love it.

The silver one for 10K off the bay of E by any chance .... or have you got it

No, that silver one has been for sale for months. Pov spec and I didn't fancy another silver MG. Plus doesn't look in great condition on the pics.
I did speak with the guy selling the supercharged one but 126k miles and from looking of the 260 site it was sold in March last year for £8000 with an untraceable mechanical noise.. the previous owner replaced all sorts including the gearbox to no avail so sold it cheap. The guy selling it said there is no issue. Sounds like a bit of a gamble so avoided it.
I've bought a black mk2 SE with 66k on the clock, enthusiast owned. It's a gooden to keep in the garage.

Skillen
08-03-18, 08:16 PM
Cheers Callum,
How are you getting on with yours?
I really like the zt platform, even with a diesel engine would make a great daily and if you like your toys plenty of options to retro fit.
At the moment it's pretty much standard SE spec so all the toys. Custom back boxes which look stock and that's it. Other than keeping it in too condition I don't have any real plans for it, I've got the 2 ZSs and 45 to tinker with.
That said, a supercharger would be a good winter project for next year, well see I guess :D..

Ha! Supercharged one would be amazing!
I had looked at an st3 focus estate and something German but couldn’t make my mind up but I don’t have to yet.

Mine has come to a bit of a standstill with the weather and me an naomi buying a house.
I got most of the stuff stripped off and got to getting the cams off and managed to snap the inlet cams end :sly: piper has said they’ll do me a one off though but I’m unsure as to the price.

The block has a massive hole where cylinder one has gone on holiday.
I need to find a good engine, but it can wait till the new house has gone through.
But if you know of any racers with half decent spares I’d be interested.
I’m imagining I’ll be replacing a lot of stuff on the engine too

All I really need to do is get the engine lifted out.

Going to have a garage and a driveway I can get a couple of cars on so that’s where a workhorse estate came into thought and he ZS will be purely a toy which has been a long time coming.

Probably won’t get to POL this year either.

Dan1971
09-03-18, 07:34 AM
Be a shame to keep it in the garage - enjoy it !

p_b82
09-03-18, 08:27 AM
No that's fair enough - I personally feel the same about most of the German cars...

I'd not have a Fester ST now because they are just too common....

The V8 conversion was always something I really wondered about - must have been some-one's pet project they got pushed through..... They could easily have got a "better" V8 of the era...

Bung on a blower and you'd probably get a better power/weight ratio than I have ;)

Dan1971
09-03-18, 10:49 AM
Interesting article on pistonheads written because of the (then) new supercharged Jag estate -

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/mg-zt-t-v8-catch-it-while-you-can/29523

Street Elite
09-03-18, 04:35 PM
Not that I have any money! But when I looked at prices of the zt v8, I'd have a hard time choosing that or an rs6.

Drew

ZS Phil
09-03-18, 05:49 PM
Ha! Supercharged one would be amazing!
I had looked at an st3 focus estate and something German but couldn’t make my mind up but I don’t have to yet.

Mine has come to a bit of a standstill with the weather and me an naomi buying a house.
I got most of the stuff stripped off and got to getting the cams off and managed to snap the inlet cams end :sly: piper has said they’ll do me a one off though but I’m unsure as to the price.

The block has a massive hole where cylinder one has gone on holiday.
I need to find a good engine, but it can wait till the new house has gone through.
But if you know of any racers with half decent spares I’d be interested.
I’m imagining I’ll be replacing a lot of stuff on the engine too

All I really need to do is get the engine lifted out.

Going to have a garage and a driveway I can get a couple of cars on so that’s where a workhorse estate came into thought and he ZS will be purely a toy which has been a long time coming.

Probably won’t get to POL this year either.

Congrats on the house move, have you got a date to move in? We've just bought a place too just north of Preston. I liked the workshop and Nadia liked the house so it was a win win!
Shame about the ZS. I don't know of any v6 engines for sale but will keep an eye out. Might be worth asking Jason or Howard Hunt if they know of anything? I've got a t series set up which I'm trying to flog? Was going to throw it in the diesel ZS but just fitted another l series instead. If you want to borrow an engine crane let me know.
Shame about POL too. If you wanted to go could always hitch a lift. Not sure which I'll be taking this year.

Be a shame to keep it in the garage - enjoy it !

I hope to enjoy it when the weather gets better. It's not daily material haha I'd get sick of the fuel bill.

Interesting article on pistonheads written because of the (then) new supercharged Jag estate -

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/mg-zt-t-v8-catch-it-while-you-can/29523

Cool write up. I don't know how much of this "future classic" hype is just hype. Time will tell I guess and more fun than money in the bank!

Not that I have any money! But when I looked at prices of the zt v8, I'd have a hard time choosing that or an rs6.

Drew

Only trouble with an RS6 is you have to be an Audi driver. I'm more pipe and slippers than Bluetooth tusk and ray bans. I appreciate most people would love to call themselves an Audi driver however.
I agree though, for the money there are plenty of options out there. I can't quantify or rationalise the ZT, it's just one of those things you buy because you want one.

ZS Phil
09-03-18, 05:59 PM
No that's fair enough - I personally feel the same about most of the German cars...

I'd not have a Fester ST now because they are just too common....

The V8 conversion was always something I really wondered about - must have been some-one's pet project they got pushed through..... They could easily have got a "better" V8 of the era...

Bung on a blower and you'd probably get a better power/weight ratio than I have ;)

It's cool that you've found a modern car which you really like in the mustang, there is just something about the sound of a v8. When (if) they start to depreciate I'll no doubt be drawn to then as a potential second hand buy in a few years.
German cars as a rule are awesome, I can't deny that. They are just too clinical for me and I can't be dealing with the "young professional" cliche of owning one. I'd rather rock up to work in my daily 45. I appreciate I'm not normal however and secretly I like fixing it when it breaks :D.

Skillen
10-03-18, 01:28 AM
Congrats on the house move, have you got a date to move in? We've just bought a place too just north of Preston. I liked the workshop and Nadia liked the house so it was a win win!
Shame about the ZS. I don't know of any v6 engines for sale but will keep an eye out. Might be worth asking Jason or Howard Hunt if they know of anything? I've got a t series set up which I'm trying to flog? Was going to throw it in the diesel ZS but just fitted another l series instead. If you want to borrow an engine crane let me know.
Shame about POL too. If you wanted to go could always hitch a lift. Not sure which I'll be taking this year.

Thanks mate!
It’s in the “searches” phase at the minute but seems to be going alright with three in the chain.
I have a feeling it won’t be till may though tbh (right when I have a lot on as I’m due to have an ablation for the old ticker (AF) and my cousin stag)

Congrats to you and Nadia too!
Nice to have both of you agreeing on the house, me and Naomi were similar in that we both came away feeling like we each could see the other person living in the house as well as ourselves. Fingers crossed it all moves smoothly and that yours hasn’t been a headache either.

I did think about the t-series as well as roughly price up a Honda swap and it all came back far more expensive than just replacing the damned thing. I didn’t have a problem with the V6 so I felt I should keep it.

My big plan is to build something anyway and a simple engine swap to get it back on the road as it was and then build something up in the new garage will be the plan.
I will need a crane soon. Gonna take the engine and box out in one go hopefully to get it over with quickly but thought about just renting one I’ll see how it all pans out.

Any of yours would be good to get a lift in I remember the diesel from when you bought the track car and the 45 is comfortable lol. The V8 though :shifty:
But I am actually due up to see the family and lads that weekend now because I honestly didn’t even check the dates this year as I saw it as a write off.
There will always be next time though 👍🏻

stamford
10-03-18, 07:26 AM
Some interesting points of view put across here, great reading!

Would love a ZTT 260, if only an auto! I know :no:

I do like the RS6, however I do prefer the C5 model, classic looks and wide body. The later models have the Lamborghini V10, I prefer the V8 rumble. My S6 is not what I call a good buy, having a few issues. Hopefully get them sorted in time but may probably sell later in the year. The devil inside says keep it, got stupid ideas on shoe-horsing all of that into the zed! Love the idea of a V8 Quattro ZS :sly:

Street Elite
10-03-18, 07:37 AM
I've got a crane if your near Stevenage.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to but v8 zs is a good thing to aim for.

Drew

p_b82
10-03-18, 10:37 AM

I do like the RS6, however I do prefer the C5 model, classic looks and wide body. The later models have the Lamborghini V10, I prefer the V8 rumble. My S6 is not what I call a good buy, having a few issues. Hopefully get them sorted in time but may probably sell later in the year. The devil inside says keep it, got stupid ideas on shoe-horsing all of that into the zed! Love the idea of a V8 Quattro ZS :sly:

My only concern with throwing a V8 into a Zs would what would it do to the handling...

I know that the KV6 and L-series are not as nimble as the 1.8's; so throwing an even bigger V8 might be a compromise too great... would sound awesome without as much soundproofing/refinement in the ZS though :D

It's cool that you've found a modern car which you really like in the mustang, there is just something about the sound of a v8. When (if) they start to depreciate I'll no doubt be drawn to then as a potential second hand buy in a few years.
German cars as a rule are awesome, I can't deny that. They are just too clinical for me and I can't be dealing with the "young professional" cliche of owning one. I'd rather rock up to work in my daily 45. I appreciate I'm not normal however and secretly I like fixing it when it breaks :D.

Tbh I'd they sold the challenger over here in RHD I'd sell the mustang and get that instead; just prefer that real muscle-car look; and it is a "better" car than the S550 all told...

That said, I'm in no rush to get rid of the 'stang - apart from cold days when I'm worried about falling off the road at 20mph (changing the tyres soon should help there though + spring being closer helps matters (when not snowing ;) )), it puts a grin on my face each and every time I get in our out of it.... Like the ZS I often look back at it parked up and smile....

With the ZS it is more relief that I've not broken down again - but also due to knowing the history and I'm still glad/proud that I've not given up and got rid of the dammed thing :laugh:

Skillen
10-03-18, 05:29 PM
I've got a crane if your near Stevenage.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to but v8 zs is a good thing to aim for.

Drew

Thanks for the offer mate, I’m in Chester so a bit far away!
thanks again though!

Dan1971
10-03-18, 09:36 PM
Mustangs are holding value quite well although I'm starting to see a few decent 66 plate V8s coming in under £30K.

Motorpoint recently sold a 2.3 for £25K.

Both versions have their merits.

ZS Phil
16-03-18, 12:51 PM
Thanks mate!
It’s in the “searches” phase at the minute but seems to be going alright with three in the chain.
I have a feeling it won’t be till may though tbh (right when I have a lot on as I’m due to have an ablation for the old ticker (AF) and my cousin stag)

Congrats to you and Nadia too!
Nice to have both of you agreeing on the house, me and Naomi were similar in that we both came away feeling like we each could see the other person living in the house as well as ourselves. Fingers crossed it all moves smoothly and that yours hasn’t been a headache either.

I did think about the t-series as well as roughly price up a Honda swap and it all came back far more expensive than just replacing the damned thing. I didn’t have a problem with the V6 so I felt I should keep it.

My big plan is to build something anyway and a simple engine swap to get it back on the road as it was and then build something up in the new garage will be the plan.
I will need a crane soon. Gonna take the engine and box out in one go hopefully to get it over with quickly but thought about just renting one I’ll see how it all pans out.

Any of yours would be good to get a lift in I remember the diesel from when you bought the track car and the 45 is comfortable lol. The V8 though :shifty:
But I am actually due up to see the family and lads that weekend now because I honestly didn’t even check the dates this year as I saw it as a write off.
There will always be next time though 👍🏻

Its all very exciting, hope it goes as smoothly as poss for the move and the searches don't throw anything back at you. If you are both first time buyers at least you wont have to pay stamp duty (the reason I'm not racing this year!)
All the best with the heart treatment too.
If you need a crane for your engine I've got one sat here which you can use. Only down the road from you now near Preston.
Don't worry about POL, just a thought if you were struggling with brummy built transport :)
Think Ill take the ZS TD and V8 this year if they are both taxed and insured at that point.

Look out for an Auto 75 v8 estate (ok, you'll be lucky but they do come up), then throw some ZT bumpers on it, job done if you're not bothered about the handling.

Tbh I'd they sold the challenger over here in RHD I'd sell the mustang and get that instead; just prefer that real muscle-car look; and it is a "better" car than the S550 all told...

That said, I'm in no rush to get rid of the 'stang - apart from cold days when I'm worried about falling off the road at 20mph (changing the tyres soon should help there though + spring being closer helps matters (when not snowing ;) )), it puts a grin on my face each and every time I get in our out of it.... Like the ZS I often look back at it parked up and smile....

With the ZS it is more relief that I've not broken down again - but also due to knowing the history and I'm still glad/proud that I've not given up and got rid of the dammed thing :laugh:

Yep, been there myself. 8 years later and I'm glad the smoky old ****** is still in the garage.

Mustangs are holding value quite well although I'm starting to see a few decent 66 plate V8s coming in under £30K.

Motorpoint recently sold a 2.3 for £25K.

Both versions have their merits.

I'd happily take either but I think if you had the 2.3 you'd always wish you had the V8.