PDA

View Full Version : XPG 180 update

mattie007
17-02-18, 07:03 PM
Not been on for a while due to work commitments, but the 180 is finally going away next weekend (a year after I got her!) to have some major work done. She's been tucked up since Christmas as some of the electrics failed meaning no wipers, lights, horn, alarm, radio, lights.
As much as liked the look of the motobuild springs, i'll be upgrading to some brand new xpower eibach springs, new bushes all round, upgraded brakes and a tidy up of the bodywork and full service, cant wait to get back on the road!

peterzs
17-02-18, 08:06 PM
Wow, sounds pricy, well done for sorting it out and not breaking it.

:):):)

sneekyparrot
18-02-18, 08:24 AM
Not been on for a while due to work commitments, but the 180 is finally going away next weekend (a year after I got her!) to have some major work done. She's been tucked up since Christmas as some of the electrics failed meaning no wipers, lights, horn, alarm, radio, lights.
As much as liked the look of the motobuild springs, i'll be upgrading to some brand new xpower eibach springs, new bushes all round, upgraded brakes and a tidy up of the bodywork and full service, cant wait to get back on the road!

awesome, keep the pictures flowing.

defo right move with the springs :-))

P.

mattie007
18-02-18, 03:54 PM
Shall do. Just been to give her a good wash before she goes away at the weekend. I don't think it'll cost too much, theres a list of about 20 jobs, but when done she should be as good as new. Wish I could do them myself but don't have the time or skills unfortunatly.

stamford
18-02-18, 07:01 PM
Excellent! Well worth doing and the investment I say.

Dan1971
19-02-18, 07:40 AM
Awesome.

Fingers crossed all goes well. What's the timescale?

mattie007
20-02-18, 10:56 PM
Excellent! Well worth doing and the investment I say.

Cheers Mick, taken a while due to work commitments but should come out even better than she is now :)

Awesome.

Fingers crossed all goes well. What's the timescale?

Going away this weekend, a chap up in Scunthorpe is collecting her then giving her the treatment. He builds race cars and restores classics so in good hands. I’m in no rush but I’d have thought back within a month. Springs arrived today 😍

Maxfly
21-02-18, 06:28 PM
Lovely stuff, looking forward to the after pictures mate. Be good to hear your thoughts on how the eibachs compare too, would assume they will give a much nicer drive.
Do you think you would be able to get progress pictures at all? Always good to see work being done :)

mattie007
22-02-18, 08:05 PM
I'll try to get regular updates although the car will be 100 miles away.
From speaking to others with the eibachs, they cant be compared to the motobuilds for handling and performance. I do like the way it sits now but will still be low on the new springs, plus love the green colour!

mattie007
31-03-18, 08:51 PM
A few goodies purchased from Paul today, Quaife LSD and front and rear strut braces. Along with the eibach Xpower springs the car should go well when fitted. Hopefully it'll all be done for the summer.

stamford
31-03-18, 10:31 PM
Sounds pretty good!

Maxfly
31-03-18, 11:25 PM
Excellent stuff, some good mods there..... At the risk of ruining your bank balance further, have you thought about the lightened flywheel at all? :)

ZS Phil
01-04-18, 06:21 AM
Sounds good to me, if you really want to make it come alive you need to buy the 160 box he has for sale and get the gear set fitted at the same time as your diff! Be much more expensive if you change your mind in the future.

mattie007
01-04-18, 09:28 AM
Excellent stuff, some good mods there..... At the risk of ruining your bank balance further, have you thought about the lightened flywheel at all? :)

If I can get my hands on one then maybe. Do you get big gains from it?

mattie007
01-04-18, 09:30 AM
Sounds good to me, if you really want to make it come alive you need to buy the 160 box he has for sale and get the gear set fitted at the same time as your diff! Be much more expensive if you change your mind in the future.

I did get a gearbox with it, not sure if it’s the 180 or 160, I’ll ask Paul. What would be the advantage?

talkingcars
02-04-18, 07:44 AM
I have got a box from a TF135 in my garage, was going to sell it with the 135 ca, an ECU but if you are interested....

Same ratios as the 160.

ZS
03-04-18, 09:08 PM
I have a TTV lightweight flywheel if your interested... its just sat here...

p_b82
04-04-18, 07:58 AM
Sounds like things are coming along nicely.... and plenty of offers for you to spend more money ;)

mattie007
04-04-18, 08:19 PM
I have got a box from a TF135 in my garage, was going to sell it with the 135 ca, an ECU but if you are interested....

Same ratios as the 160.

I'll let you know, will be speaking to the builder next week.

I have a TTV lightweight flywheel if your interested... its just sat here...

Im interested Sam, assuming it'll be quicker off the line but will lose some top end speed? What price are you looking for?

ZS
05-04-18, 09:02 AM
Im interested Sam, assuming it'll be quicker off the line but will lose some top end speed? What price are you looking for?

I found it to have a much livelier throttle response, it transformed the car.

Only not fitted to mine as the 180 already has one fitted and is off road at the moment pending bodywork and it won't fit the T16.

Currently it has a fairly new clutch bolted to it (less than 2000 miles on it) but I guess you would put a new clutch on yourself as its sensible to do so :)

As for cost. I'd rather it was used than sat here not doing anything... So PM me what you want to pay and I'm sure we can come to an agreement :trampoline:

Maxfly
05-04-18, 03:18 PM
If I can get my hands on one then maybe. Do you get big gains from it?

I never got around to fitting it before I sold the car. Ended up selling the flywheel after the car had gone. Sam has covered what to expect from it and I believe Mick also has good words for fitting one! :)

mattie007
02-06-18, 07:17 PM
Just a quick update... due to a number of reasons and a house move unfortunately the ZS will be up for sale soon. It would have been great to keep her but any spare cash I have must now go on a house and that means selling the ZS. A tough decision, but a first house move is essential and it all happened so fast. If I could store her somewhere and go back in a few years that would be great, but I feel she should be out there on the road, not gathering dust!

I'm gutted as I have loved the car for the year and a half I've owned her and apart a small glitch after picking her up, she's been great :) Had a great run down the A1 the other day, the sound and acceleration is stunning. I will never tire of that V6 as it bursts into life. Ive spent nearly as much again in that time on parts, servicing and MOT's but worth every penny.
If anyone is interested then let me know before eBay calls.
MOT is due in August so will try and sell before then and a friend who has a lotus and caterham track car is potentially having some of the performance parts I bought so will go to good use! Shouldn't have too much of a problem shifting the eibach springs and strut braces.

stamford
02-06-18, 07:26 PM
Shame but fully understand the reasons for doing so. I too had to sell a car to make a house move, hated it and still regret it today. It was my rare HSX Chevette twin cam I had at the time. I would love that zed back but I must stick with my faithful mk1! I have enough to do as it is.

Good luck and it will sell easily.

mattie007
02-06-18, 07:55 PM
Shame but fully understand the reasons for doing so. I too had to sell a car to make a house move, hated it and still regret it today. It was my rare HSX Chevette twin cam I had at the time. I would love that zed back but I must stick with my faithful mk1! I have enough to do as it is.

Good luck and it will sell easily.

Thanks Mick, I hope it goes to a enthusiast as its a superb car.
At 33, I need my own place and if I don't jump now then I could be renting forever. I'll regret it as soon as it goes as these are future classics and only appreciating in value. For a V6, its relatively cheap to run. Tax and insurance is only around 40 quid a month but maintenance and fuel would cripple me for the next few years, money that needs to go on a house.

Dan1971
03-06-18, 01:37 PM
Wow - Didn't see that coming.

Hadn't you just sent it away to get a load of work done ... ?

p_b82
04-06-18, 10:54 AM
Sorry you've got to sell up - good luck with the house move/purchase!

peterzs
04-06-18, 03:53 PM
shame but needs must.

mattie007
12-06-18, 05:03 PM
Wow - Didn't see that coming.

Hadn't you just sent it away to get a load of work done ... ?

It was on the verge of having work done, but unfortunately not now. Just wish I could keep it stored somewhere for a few years.

mattie007
07-10-18, 12:55 PM
Now for sale, would love it to go to an enthusiast on here.
MOT passed last month :)

peterzs
07-10-18, 01:39 PM
shame, good luck.

Dan1971
07-10-18, 02:53 PM
I gave my TF a couple of runs on ebay but no interest - shame coz I'd have been in for it if it had sold.

stamford
07-10-18, 06:34 PM
Wish I had kept it!

Got enough to do as it is now, too many cars, too many needing work!

mattie007
14-10-18, 01:17 PM
Well I'm open to offers!
Its too good to break and too good to strip for track so would like it go to an enthusiast

p_b82
16-10-18, 11:30 AM
If I had more drive space I'd probably grab this off you - but alas I can't and being honest I'm not sure it would get the use it deserves given the other car I have on the drive (and the other ZS that should be but isn't!)

I'm guessing your new place doesn't have a garage?

just wondering really on the options of low mileage policy and sorn'ing it for 6 months etc to avoid you needing to move it on...

mattie007
20-10-18, 08:42 AM
No garage I’m afraid and with 2 other cars and a bike, space is tight.
Would love a double garage and a drive!

mattie007
30-10-18, 11:01 PM
Bit of a stinker this week, clutch failed on the MG3 so gave the ZT a run to work. Just as I pulled up, steam everywhere, recovered back home for the second time in 2 days. Despite the freezing temps, only option was to fire up the bike, but nothing. Called the AA, alternators gone. So, last option was to go and get the ZS from under the covers, started first time! So looks like I’ll be hanging on to it for a while yet, sorry Mick! ZT is probably beyond repair at 125k, too cold for the bike and my nearest MG garage is 50 miles away for warranty work, so need to find a way to get it over there. People having been waiting months for clutch parts on the MG3 so don’t think I’ll be back in it anytime soon. Luckily I still have a month left on the warranty so should be covered. What a crappy start to the week though! ZS did me proud, forgot how good it was to drive.

peterzs
31-10-18, 09:47 AM
Good old ZS, sorry for your other troubles.

Saw my first MG3 on the road near us, in fact the first new MG I have ever noticed.

Didn't know they had clutch problems, will you get a loan car from MG if they cannot mend it?? Would have thought the warranty would cover it.

Funny how they know just when the worse time to all break down!!!

Good luck with them .

mattie007
14-11-18, 07:29 PM
The 3 is now sorted under warranty, it was small pipe that had split so no drama. Had its first MOT and passed first time so pretty pleased overall. They also fixed a rattle in the door and a leaky door seal. 4 new tyres as they had covered nearly 55k! Its a decent little car to be fair, especially for the price.
The ZS has been running well, gave it a full service, front bearings replaced, exhaust bracket rewelded and auto electrician has sorted the flat battery issue. Battery was fine, something inside (believed to be a USB socket in the glove compartment was flattening it. So I am going to keep her and get rid of the ZT :)

Dan1971
14-11-18, 09:04 PM
Good decision... :happy:

peterzs
15-11-18, 09:11 AM
Glad it all worked out well

ZS power

p_b82
15-11-18, 07:08 PM
nicely done decision wise there :D

mattie007
15-11-18, 07:21 PM
Well I've had her for nearly 2 years now and loved every minute. I've always wanted one and I don't think I will find another with that spec and condition in the future. Still tempted to get the eibach springs fitted to make the ride and handling better but it sits really nice on the motos. Still has some electrical gremlins but booked back in next week. Thought I had got to the bottom of it but the battery is just dead every time I try and start her up (new battery which has been tested so its not that) One other thing, the tyres keep going flat every few weeks but theres no signs of a puncture. Could it be the valve caps? It has them metal eBay type ones fitted.
Im on the back up list to book onto one of Rockinghams last track days in December, fingers crossed someone pulls out!

talkingcars
15-11-18, 08:30 PM
It won't be the valve caps, the valve seals internally.

Street Elite
15-11-18, 09:35 PM
If it's still on the same tyres then it could be the seal from tyre to rim. They can leak if the rim isn't 100%.

Drew

p_b82
17-11-18, 12:21 PM
for the dead battery I'd check the alternator...

they can fail on one of the 3 lines and not throw the warning lamp - they then draw current when the engine is off... doesn't take long to flatten the battery entirely.

mattie007
19-11-18, 10:43 PM
for the dead battery I'd check the alternator...

they can fail on one of the 3 lines and not throw the warning lamp - they then draw current when the engine is off... doesn't take long to flatten the battery entirely.

Cheers for the heads up, will mention that tomorrow. Funny you say that as someone at work mentioned the alternator.

mattie007
28-11-18, 06:07 PM
Amazingly it was the battery...strange the garage didn't pick that up but at least its sorted. First drive today in about 3 months, 50 miles of mixed driving and all seemed fine apart from a couple of issues. One of the HIDs blew so I'll have to change that. Is it just a bulb or a whole unit?
Its also very difficult to engage gears, especially first, which needs a right shove. Could that be gearbox/clutch/sheddist kit? I need to really push down on the clutch but theres no sign of slipping or the clutch burning even when I got caught in heavy traffic for an hour.
I had planned to do a trackday at Brands with MGoT on Monday but just a little concerned that something will give way!
Having yellowstuff pads, braided hoses and alcon discs fitted at the weekend and the tyres will be taken off and resealed.

peterzs
29-11-18, 09:36 AM
IS IT HARD TO GET REVERSE GEAR?

on the derv 1st and reverse were hard to get into and I got the clutch changed. It was fine after that.

Good luck if you go out on track. Is good fun.

talkingcars
29-11-18, 05:18 PM
Could just need a fluid change.

mattie007
29-11-18, 06:44 PM
Just pulled onto the drive tonight and it popped out of gear and is now making a strange noise and there’s a strong burning smell.
To be fair, it was near impossible to get into first gear on the drive home but glad it went on the drive and not in traffic :(

stamford
29-11-18, 09:55 PM
Could be thrust bearing and actuator arm seizing, gearbox out.

mattie007
30-11-18, 06:03 AM
That’s what most are saying on Facebook. Looks like I did well to make it last 2 more years!

p_b82
30-11-18, 08:09 AM
Yeah sounds like things are seizing up a bit.

that or the bracket is flexing, but I would not have thought that would give you the burning smell... so seems to point to the former comment.

mattie007
30-11-18, 08:39 AM
I guess it makes sense to do the clutch at the same time? It’s made the noise ever since I’ve had it and always been tricky to engage gears so maybe I’ve done damage to the box aswell?

stamford
30-11-18, 02:06 PM
Yes complete clutch replacement, strip clean and grease arm as well. Gearbox should be fine. Check the hydraulic system is okay and polybush the linkage if not done already.

mattie007
08-12-18, 09:44 AM
Been quoted £370 to fit a Sachs clutch, sound reasonable?

Dan1971
08-12-18, 10:50 PM
Been quoted £370 to fit a Sachs clutch, sound reasonable?

I paid about £450 for a clutch a good few years ago now so that sounds a very fair price.

mattie007
09-12-18, 03:03 PM
Cheers Dan, all the cars I’ve owned I’ve never had to replace a clutch so had no idea.

Had the centre console out today as none of top buttons were working. The screws that hold the rear bracket in have threaded, so I’ll try a strong glue for now. Otherwise the whole console will need replacing. Shame as the front has been painted in XPG.

Also still getting the E9 error on the ATC. Replaced the interior sensor but still flashing away. Will have to get that checked aswell.

mattie007
09-12-18, 03:18 PM
These are the culprits.

mattie007
30-01-19, 02:05 PM
New clutch and lightweight flywheel fitted today 😍 thanks to MG Mobile. Can’t believe the difference. Nice and smooth and revs more freely

ZS
30-01-19, 02:22 PM
The Flywheel makes a big difference doesn't it :)

I happen to have a Black Oak console (MK2 with the Climate) just sitting in my Garage taking up space if you need it?

mattie007
03-02-19, 04:22 PM
Certainly revs more freely. Not had a chance to fully try it, been advised to be careful for the first 500 miles.
Might take you up on the centre console, something isn't quite right with mine. Ive used gorilla glue where the screw holes have threaded at the back of the console to keep it together, feels really tight but the buttons still need a good shove to work. Is that just how they are on mk2's?
Spent 2 hours today just working out how the leather gator goes back on the handbrake, but its on and really pleased with the results!

ZS
04-02-19, 02:51 PM
Certainly revs more freely. Not had a chance to fully try it, been advised to be careful for the first 500 miles.
Might take you up on the centre console, something isn't quite right with mine. Ive used gorilla glue where the screw holes have threaded at the back of the console to keep it together, feels really tight but the buttons still need a good shove to work. Is that just how they are on mk2's?
Spent 2 hours today just working out how the leather gator goes back on the handbrake, but its on and really pleased with the results!

I havn't driven either of My ZS's for a while, so can't remember how the buttons are, but again you are welcome to try them out if you want, see how they feel in comparison to your buttons... I may even have a full set of buttons around somewhere as well if needed....

mattie007
04-02-19, 07:18 PM
I'll be back down that way for the opening round of the BTCC end of March so I'll pop and see you. If you have the buttons, let me know as I'll be putting the dash back together soon.

mattie007
04-02-19, 07:19 PM
Most of them have broken of bent clips as you can see