PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 ZS Under dash sound dedening panels

gAZ
06-10-18, 07:46 PM
Just realisted my mk2 zs td has no sound dedening panels under the dashboard. :no:

No wonder I can hear the blower motor so easily.

I'm just trying to reduce the God awful amounts of sound intrusion from the outside and the engine. I think I've been very spoiled with the ZT190 in this regard .

So if anybody has got a set of R400 / R45 / ZS under dash panels going spare, that would be great! :trampoline:

peterzs
06-10-18, 08:29 PM
Think we suffered from the MG Project Drive with the Mk2's

Lots of cost savings from the Mk1's, shame.

:):):)

gAZ
07-10-18, 01:09 AM
Think we suffered from the MG Project Drive with the Mk2's

Lots of cost savings from the Mk1's, shame.

Have you fitted these under dash panels? If you have, how much difference did it make?

peterzs
07-10-18, 01:39 PM
Nope, I like the sound and smell of Diesel in the morning.

gAZ
07-10-18, 07:51 PM
Nope, I like the sound and smell of Diesel in the morning.

Lol.. it's a bit too wearing on the senses for me on a long drive.

Even the 200 bubble diesel seems less noisey and rattly than the ZS. :trampoline: :p

Perhaps I could DIY these panels? Hummm... I wonder what material I should use? :baby:

peterzs
07-10-18, 07:59 PM
fOUND THIS, DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH IT COVERS AND IF IT makes it any better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181614920735

TimH
07-10-18, 08:05 PM
Seen it cheaper than that but yes does help

I put it into the rear well of my 75 tourer as I'd put a SS twin exhaust and was getting a bit of booming. Also put it onto the underside of the ZS saloon boot lid to reduce the 'tinny' feel of it.

Made a new timber base to the boot of the ZS and R25 and laid/stuck it on the underside. Superb result if I say so myself. :)

SARENG
07-10-18, 08:46 PM
My Mk1 ZS120 had hardly any sound deadening anywhere!! So not just a Mk2 problem. I put dynamat in the doors, under the carpets, in the boot in fact everywhere I thought it might have some effect. I also fitted the under bonnet sound panel after putting dynamat on it. I would like to say it had some effect in making the car quieter but I really can't say to be honest, but at least the doors close with a thud rather than the tinny clang they used to make.

peterzs
08-10-18, 10:29 AM
Trouble is the Derv engine is a bit noisy compared with the 120, so we have to live with it or try and deaden the sound.

Maybe it's because we are older and the hearing goes a bit, but the sound inside is not too bad. I just turn the radio up a bit.

p_b82
11-10-18, 04:14 PM
I just accept that the L-series is an agricultural old lump.....

That and the fact that I've a 2.5" manifold back stainless exhaust....

I've been spoilt though, the mustang has a seriously impressive stereo on it, the ZS in comparison just sounds crap..... maybe I should change the speakers, they are probably well past their best in fairness.....

I might consider an amp/sub, but ultimately I'll probably be taking even more weight out the car so don't want the hassle of putting stuff in for a bit to take it out later on....

I mean it is not as if it is comfortable to drive in summer with no working A/c (plan to rip all that out at some point too!)

But I've heard of people fitting dynomat and other equivalents with fairly good success.