PDA

View Full Version : engine management light on derv

peterzs
20-10-18, 09:42 PM
So the light came on, changed the MAF sensor as they are the first port of call usually.

Still on and so changed the fuel filter as it hadn't been changed for a bit. Still on.

I bought a fault reader off ebay and that showed no faults.

Took it to local garage and they came up with 5 faults. Cleared all them. Went to drive away and the light was back on. Diesel pump control unit, so I got a ebay pump and the garage fitted just the control box off the top of the pump. All seems well and it has its MOT this tuesday.

So always worth getting a T4 or a proper reader on it.

:):):)

stamford
20-10-18, 09:52 PM
I bought a code reader, waste of money, looks good but full of cheap tat! Good to hear it’s sorted.

Dan1971
20-10-18, 10:34 PM
Interesting.... What about the other 4 though Pete?

talkingcars
21-10-18, 09:50 AM
I am a big fan of the www.pscan.uk scanner, Phil used a couple of my ECUs including the one from FE51 when designing it.

If anyone wants to bring me their car to read I'll do it for nought.

peterzs
21-10-18, 01:20 PM
The other four were stuff like, ignition switch, a/c pressure too low and I've forgotten the other two. He did print out the report but kept it to show his mate to see what they needed to do.

I did ask when he cleared them, but he said they would not put the light on just an advisory.

The garage is good and just wanted a drink, least it's better than the ones that charge £50 + vat, for plugging in.

The TF must have felt it was being left out, went for a cliff top drive and on the way back it split the exhaust. The join between the cat/box. Sounds nice, got the bangs and burbles, but sooo loud. :-)

All got the mot for both coming up in the next two weeks.

Good offer re the fault reader James.

p_b82
22-10-18, 02:30 PM
I'm surprised your MKII didn't get the codes from a standard OBDII reader... our older ones have to go full T4 equivalent :(

glad that the swap over of the controller seems to have done the job for you - I changed the whole pump over when I had tractor syndrome all those years ago at the pub meet!

peterzs
22-10-18, 05:08 PM
GARAGE said it would be quicker and cheaper to just do the controller, rather than break it all down.

Lucky it worked and if needed I can send the s/h pump away to be rebuilt.

All good fun.

Mot tomorrow and with the tricks and tweaks do not know how it will get on. We will see.

Dan1971
22-10-18, 07:57 PM
Fingers crossed for you Pete ....

C13URD
22-10-18, 08:07 PM
GARAGE said it would be quicker and cheaper to just do the controller, rather than break it all down.

Lucky it worked and if needed I can send the s/h pump away to be rebuilt.

All good fun.

Mot tomorrow and with the tricks and tweaks do not know how it will get on. We will see.

Best of luck with the MOT bud...:-D

peterzs
23-10-18, 11:18 AM
Cheers All .

Waiting to see what's what.

Dan1971
24-10-18, 08:25 AM
And .... ?

peterzs
24-10-18, 10:22 AM
two rear tyres replaced, loads of tread but had cuts and delaminating. Looked good to me, Hankooks V12's, so they have gone and Falkens on now as the Hankooks are a silly price.

CV gaiter split and needs replacing.

Cat missing when one was fitted as standard, lucky I have one, to replace the missing one. ;-)

But.............................. emission test stopped because of excessive smoke, as if!!

So got to see if I can get that down, Cat might help, I have a Rover Ron device on that is wacked up high, don't really know what it does, fools the Maf sensor or something. Have a BMC FILTER but thats been in 10 years, it is a recleanable one every 60,000 miles, and I have done it twice. Got a Eurocarparts ordinary one to go in. Plus a bottle of injector cleaner.

If that doesn't work I'll put back in the standard injectors not the SDi ones, like everything, they are in a jiffy envelope and always in my spares box. Looked for them the other day and the fairies must have moved them and put them somewhere safe!!

The car has done 110,000 now and still pulls like a (smoky) train.

I realised now I should have sorted the emissions out first, but when have I ever done anything in the right order.

Everything else was OK and the lights all went out. I was worried about the N/S headlight, bulb went, easy, new bulb 5 minutes to fit. About an hour later it was done, the spring clip is held in place by a small ridge, built into the headlight. My one broke away and the spring clip was just loose, big washer, so I could trap the end of the spring under it, then catching the clip in the other end. All with chubby fingers through the little hole.

The story continues.

TF in Tuesday for a new cat to be fitted!!

ZS in Wednesday for the old cat to be fitted and the CV joint.

All good fun.

Dan1971
24-10-18, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a proper faff mate .... Ah well - cars eh ... !!!

tcb 180
25-10-18, 08:48 AM
Ah! yes. I can recall those bloody headlamp bulbs. Nice to see you guys still rocking on here.

peterzs
25-10-18, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=tcb 180;378648]Ah! yes. I can recall those bloody headlamp bulbs. Nice to see you guys still rocking on here.[/QUOTE

Hows the GTE GOING???

p_b82
27-10-18, 10:52 AM
Peter - probably don't need to twist your arm too hard here...

but take it for a proper thrash once you've trown some cleaner in the tank...

4000rpm pulls in gear - and drop it in for the test right after you've done them - an L-series is often very smokey when colder, and if driven gently will smoke a bit as the the crud gets blown out.

The mafam just attempts to restore a failing signal - i'm sure you said your car is hitting a 4k hardcut, which says to me the maf is dead and the mafam won't be doing anything.

Worth checking for boost leaks as well before the Italian Tune runs..... OE turbo and SDI's should not fail MOT emissions for smoke

peterzs
27-10-18, 11:30 AM
Cheers and I'll book it to be sorted as soon as I get there, usually have to leave it on the road and they pull it in during the day so done cold.

It is not all that bad when warm, but as you say is a bit smokey on start up and cold.

Hoping that the u/s pump control module was causing the cut off, that seems better now.

Let you know how it gets on.

tcb 180
27-10-18, 11:54 AM
Fine thanks Pete. Sorted my leaking garage roof and put 269hrs into her last year. Mainly minor rust scabs to undersides.All seats out all floor areas inside and out cleaned off and treated. Front wings off few minor repairs. New fuel lines pump and filter. Belts.

Going up in value. I'd like it to go but my lads shout on it.

I'm wanting a Mgb. Was a Mk1 Gt on ebay stunning. It went within days.

peterzs
27-10-18, 05:46 PM
Glad it's still around.

Had four MGB GT's, they are fun cars but a bit agricultural, just make sure the sills are ok rear spring hanger mounting points, front wings.

I love my 160 TF, goes and handles well.

peterzs
01-11-18, 04:46 PM
That's the ZS passed it's MOT done and dusted.

Cat on and a quick run up and down the Spur Road. Had a bit of a play with a ZR, Blue with green wheels, so that helped warm up the cat. Just got to decide if it stays on or not. :)

The TF is in tomorrow, with its new cat, so fingers crossed. Seems a bit quicker now as well.

Dan1971
01-11-18, 09:22 PM
That's the ZS passed it's MOT done and dusted.

Cat on and a quick run up and down the Spur Road. Had a bit of a play with a ZR, Blue with green wheels, so that helped warm up the cat. Just got to decide if it stays on or not. :)

The TF is in tomorrow, with its new cat, so fingers crossed. Seems a bit quicker now as well.

Boy racers eh....:joker:

If your TF was decatted before Pete, there does seem to be many who think it does take away some performance in favour of more noise. Mine seems better now the cat is back on for sure.

talkingcars
01-11-18, 10:18 PM
Due to the short length of the MGF/TF exhaust and the lack of middle box I think you need the cat to create the back pressure in the exhaust needed for a 4 stroke to run efficiently.

When I tried traffic light racing with a couple of decatted MGFs my catted car was quicker off the line, but that could have just been my better driving......

peterzs
02-11-18, 05:15 PM
That's the TF mot'd, just a couple of advisories.

Rear brake pipe a bit rusty, covered with underseal.

N/S track rod end slight play.

So I can sort that out for next year.

and I'm sure it is going quicker with the new cat.