PDA

View Full Version : anyone use or fitted one of these

papa_lazaroo
25-02-08, 09:46 AM
I want to do this :tease: To the police.

So I thought about buying one of these:

http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/snooper_sld920.asp

Anyone got any experience of one?

chriszs180
25-02-08, 09:50 AM
i've got a snooper but not the laser bit arnt they banned of were getting banned..

would be good though.

papa_lazaroo
25-02-08, 10:48 AM
I read somewhere that they can prosecute you if you have one, for perverting the course of justice.

Still might get one though.

Maxxed_Ross
25-02-08, 12:16 PM
get caught with one and they can confiscate and can potentially crush your car. It's not worth it IMO

I've got a Snooper S6R neo detector, great little bit of kit. Those with laser detectors are illegal... so luckily it's waterproof so you can hide it!

stamford
25-02-08, 12:29 PM
If you have a garage fit yourself one of those door openers, you get a transmitter to fit inside the front grill. The very same thing jams the signals.....................apparently :ninja:

papa_lazaroo
25-02-08, 12:51 PM
Electric garage doors, sounds dear !!

Crushed car, sounds worse

Venom
25-02-08, 02:58 PM
Thing is right, you have the snooper/road angel to tell you that they are there, the diffuser gives you 30 seconds to slow down by, what it dose is send another signal to the hand gun and scrambles the signal (take into mind that not every one has a blocker/diffuser) and that the police will take it form time to time that the gun is gonna have a blib every once in a while, chances are of getting caught are low as long as its not silly speeds. plus if its well hidden behind the grill they have to find it first to prove its there and that it was your car that scrambled the signal.

Venom
25-02-08, 02:59 PM
If you have a garage fit yourself one of those door openers, you get a transmitter to fit inside the front grill. The very same thing jams the signals.....................apparently :ninja:

This is also true, the is a specific kit out that is exactly that. will find it later.

papa_lazaroo
25-02-08, 03:13 PM
Well, having been sent a "your Facking nicked me ol' beauty" notice last week, for doing 35 in a 30, I am prepaired to take the risk.
I gather that if the alarm goes off, and you get to within the limit quickly, you can then kill the unit so that they can then see your speed, which is now within the limit? Is that true?

Maxxed_Ross
25-02-08, 05:33 PM
sort of, but that's assuming the Snooper/Road Angel has also picked it up so you know to turn it off.

I was speaking to a traffic cop not that long ago about jammers and apparently the older style guns throw up an error message fairly regularly - basically meaning it can't get an accurate lock on the car. The problem is that the new guns are alot more accurate and almost never show an error message unless the car in question has a jammer or funny plates. He was saying that almost every time an error message comes up now they have to pull over the car and inspect it. First place they will look is around the front end.

At the end of the day the safest bet is not to speed, but having the likes of a Snooper gives you that extra warning if you do creep over it.

these sites might also be useful

http://www.roadtrafficlaw.com/Speeding(1).htm

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm

http://www.ukspeeding.co.uk/

Venom
25-02-08, 08:12 PM
The other thing is that if the camera is in the back of a van then they aing gonna pull you ova as they can get out quick enough to jump out infront of you, also the same could go for coppers with the guns depending on where they are standing or sat on motorway cross overs.

papa_lazaroo
26-02-08, 07:54 AM
Hmm, I like your thinking!

And if they do, I could probably run them over ( No, not a good idea, Bonnets cost a fortune).

Sod it, I'm gonna get one. Got some money coming for my 40th next month.

If you don't hear from me, could you send me a cake with a file in it?

tcb 180
01-03-08, 07:22 AM
You've just got to obey 30's, 40's & 50's strictly and get to know your good de restricted sections where there are no cameras. Oh and of course what cars your local traffic cops are running.

Andyf
01-03-08, 10:28 AM
The newer lasers (Ultralyte 20/20) display various error messages so the user can tell why the signal has not been received, eg missing the car altogether or not holding it steadily so the return beam is not picked up. There is also an error message specifically for when the signal is jammed by an illegal device. This will result in you getting stopped and your car being seized at the roadside so the device can be located and you getting done for it.
Why not save yourself money (and other peoples lives) and stick to the speed limit?

Maxxed_Ross
02-03-08, 03:01 PM
since when has that been any fun! :bike:

Andyf
03-03-08, 11:38 AM
Believe me it's not fun when you have to search a mangled body in a crashed car looking for ID so another officer can go and tell his wife her husband wont be coming home.

papa_lazaroo
03-03-08, 11:56 AM
You are preaching to the converted, I worked for 6 months as one of the poor sods, who the lazy cops get to do all of the messy bits of work. I was a Recovery driver, and have seen my fair share of crashes. Speed doesn't Kill people, Stupidity kills people, And I am trying to avoid the nonesensical attitude that someone traveling 5mph over the limit, 4 times is a justified case to take away someones license, when someone doing 60 in a 30, can go to court, get 3 points and a 200 quid fine.

You sound like a COP, and please don't try to tell me you have never looked down, in a car that has the potential of a ZS180, whilst in a 30 and noticed that your speed keeps creeping a couple over the limit.

I am not endorsing stupidity or dangerousand wreckless behaviour, I am trying to avoid the NET set up by His Toniness when he was in power to create revenue, for the government, and take away licenses, pointlessly.

Andyf
03-03-08, 12:35 PM
It is easy to have a lapse in concentration and go a few miles an hour over the limit and yes of course I have done it. I have never however felt the need to fit a jammer to my car!
You are right that speed doesn't kill stupidity does, sadly there are a lot of stupid people out there.
I am a traffic cop and deal with people who get it wrong on a daily basis and as a result I have no faith in most people on the road.
I always think worst case senario, If someone runs out in front of you and you kill them then a "few miles an hour over the limit" will have been too much. If they die and you were doing the limit then you will have a lot less to worry about.
Some speed limits are far too low which I think is a bad idea because then people will ignore other limits that are necessary.
People never think something bad will happen to them and probably speed everyday without any concequences so don't see it as a problem but one day it might be.

papa_lazaroo
03-03-08, 04:28 PM
Im not having a go at you andy, and I am not having a go at Police officers, I am however having a go at the System. I design fuel systems for a living, as such, before anyone gets into a car I have designed the fuel system for, I have to get in it, and drive it. Not like mr average either, but like someone trying to kill them selves and take the world with them. consequently, I am trained to a very high standard of driving, To a Rospa 5 level.
I can drive on any testing ground circuit the world over, and am rated at upto 170mph maximum. I don't tend to speed on the road, I hate people speeding through villages, and built up areas and I have experienced what can happen when the wrong person gets in trouble behind the wheel.
In a prior career I have been a Fire service photographer and a motorway recovery driver, and have seen the results of fatal accidents.

But sadly, I have to drive more than 900 miles a week, and If I lost my license from 4 of these 5mph over the limit incidents, then I can't commute, and can't do my job.

I can't help but think that the government lap up the money, whilst the police would love to reduce the number of motorists by any means fair or foul, but it's a sad time when some Bobby stops me, for fitting something he sees as an appocolyptic device, when probably, I am one of the more gentlemanly motorist, than the Saxo driving toss rag that will probably go screaming by whilst he is nicking me.

I wonder how many officers have these things fitted? More than you'd imagine I would think. because lets face it, when it happens to them, and it's an automated fixed revenue that's generated, they can't rely on the trusty old Masonic hand shake to a fellow traffic cop to get them off.

See you at a meet some time, I'll shout you a jar, just to show, no hard feelings:beer2:

Andyf
04-03-08, 10:23 AM
None taken at all, just be careful that if you have it fitted you don't end up getting done for a more serious offence than speeding. The magistrates come down very hard on motorists and people who try to get out of being caught speeding (jammers and saying someone else was driving etc) if they came down as hard on proper criminals then the country would be a much better place (don't get me started on the court system).
I agree that I try to reduce the traffic on the roads but only in a fair way (not foul!), getting drink drivers disqualified and the person I caught doing 74 in a 30 approaching a school is surely a good thing!
If I was you I would go for a road angel or even a TomTom One that you can set to beep at you if you go over the limit. You can also update it via the internet but I don't know if it includes speed limit changes.
You job sounds very interesting, you will have to tell me more about it over our beer :smile1:

papa_lazaroo
04-03-08, 02:35 PM
Just bought a Route 66 GPS, with Speed cameras, and active speed limit do dah, God it's rubbish.

I agree that the courts could do more, Having spent a few months working in Switzerland and hearing of the penalties there, we are getting off lightly.

If you are cought doing more than 40KMH over the limit, then it's a mandatory 6 months in a cell, or 6 weeks and your vehicle crushed.

One lad I worked with was fined 6 months salary for doing 18KPH over the 20KPH limit past a school. It was 1.30 In the morning though, in his defence

Every friday, a white coach turns up at Zurich airport with people being deported for motoring offences, and get this, they don't send you back home, they put you on the first flight available, so you could end up anywhere that they know will let you in, one london lad, was caught with a motorbike that had been in the country for 13 months, and you are only allowed 12, so they confiscated his bike and put him on a plane to Thailand, 1 way.

Probably best not to drive there. Pitty, Petrol is only 1.2 CHF (£0.64) a litre.

Andyf
04-03-08, 03:34 PM
Now that is harsh!

Maxxed_Ross
04-03-08, 10:20 PM
that is slightly crazy. cheap way to get a holiday I suppose lol