PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling up

grimmy
25-02-08, 06:22 PM
Please don't flame me people but i am toying with the possibility of selling my zed mainly because i am struggling to keep it running because of fuel costs. How much do you think it is worth? it's a 54 plate xpg facelift 180 with 26000 on the clock lowered on eibachs piper stainless backbox all parts are available to turn back to standard if required.As has been said i am just considering this at the moment

Craig
25-02-08, 06:26 PM
Sad news Graham! Fuel costs are getting silly now. How about swapping it for a td or a 120? Dont wana lose you from "the firm" :D Btw if your getting rid of the exhaust let me know.

grimmy
25-02-08, 06:36 PM
Don't wanna do it but might have to:evilmad: problem being have no idea what i would go for would maybe consider another 120 but just can't see myself being happy with a smoker tbh either way i would still be regular on here

StevieA ZS120
25-02-08, 06:38 PM
sorry to hear that buddy but i do know how you feel its still costing alot even to run a 1.4 these days hope you do the sensible thing tho

wilko66
25-02-08, 06:40 PM
try and consider a 120 bud, i went from a 180 down to a 120, for the same reason. it takes a bit of getting used to but you can have just as much fun with a 120. Ask Jim he's been out in my car and was suprised how quick it is

Craig
25-02-08, 06:44 PM
Plus the 120 is considered as good if not a better handling car. A nice mk2 180 kitted zs would be my choice in that situation.

wilko66
25-02-08, 06:48 PM
thats my aim and i'm almost there.all the looks, some of the go, and cheaper to run. Plus with my green induction kit and xpower exhaust people think it sounds like a scooby:clap2:

stamford
25-02-08, 07:53 PM
I know how you feel bud, that's why I bought a shed for work. I run up 350 miles a week to work and back, the 180 was hitting the wallet hard. Now I use it when I feel like it and save it for a Friday treat and weekends. Makes me appreciate it more. I couldn't downsize engine wise, been there before and found it a negative exercise and used just as much fuel to wind it up.

grimmy
25-02-08, 08:36 PM
I know how you feel bud, that's why I bought a shed for work. I run up 350 miles a week to work and back, the 180 was hitting the wallet hard. Now I use it when I feel like it and save it for a Friday treat and weekends. Makes me appreciate it more. I couldn't downsize engine wise, been there before and found it a negative exercise and used just as much fuel to wind it up.
would do the same but can't afford a shed unfortuately

Maxxed_Ross
26-02-08, 05:43 AM
don't do it man! You'll regret it in the long run. As said if anything go for a 120. Sammy has proved that even the smaller engined cars can still look fantastic!

grimmy
26-02-08, 06:22 AM
don't do it man! You'll regret it in the long run. As said if anything go for a 120. Sammy has proved that even the smaller engined cars can still look fantastic!
As i have said ross i don't want to but the costs of running it are getting astronomical and the wallet is struggling to cope' Its costing me 35 quid a week in fuel never mind how much my finance, insurance and tax costs me and as you can imagine a council gardener does not get paid a lot sodoes anyone have an inkling as to how much it's worth?

KevG
26-02-08, 07:38 AM
As it is the same spec as mine except the extreme spoiler, for a good car they can go for anything between £6k and to just under £8k.

For what its worth, I'm considering the very same thing too!!!!

papa_lazaroo
26-02-08, 07:47 AM
Jan Glass guide books it at 4500 trade 6100 retail, CAP would be a little lower value.

Look, if you are spending 35 quid a week, grab yourself a new credit card offering 0% for 9 months, then buy a decent LPG conversion, mine is the best on the market, and would cost you no more than 1800. Then, pay off 50 quid a month, changing the balance every 8 months onto a new 0% card, and you'll pay it off whilst spending no more on Fuel, If you can afford more than 50 a month, go for it, your fuel bills should drop to 18 a week, your tax drops a little, and you can get free parking within most regions once you register your car with the local council.

For some reason, my insurance came down by 30 quid for having LPG too.

Don't sell it, Love it

KevG
26-02-08, 07:50 AM
It is okay doing an LPG conversion, but the number of sites in Glasgow (where I stay) that sell LPG, are very limited.

I fill the tank, do 280-300 miles and that lasts for about a week and a bit, and that's not driving much at the weekend, just doing the commute and back home that's it.

papa_lazaroo
26-02-08, 08:22 AM
you are right, the LPG availability is poor, but the number of sites is set to rise over the next couple of years.

I work as Nissan's European fuel system design senior engineer, and am heavily involved in Future fuel development, so Bio-diesel, 85%Ethanol and LPG. When Birmingham, Manchester, liverpool, glasgow, cardiff and so on launch their congestion charges, LPG will finally become very big. People will be saving 2000 a year on conjestion charges, so the uptake will become massive.

Currently though, it is rubbish in some areas

Maxxed_Ross
26-02-08, 09:38 AM
There's only one that I know of in the whole of Stirlingshire, and it was put in 5-6 years ago

Out of interest Kev and Grimmy, how many miles you getting to the tank?

grimmy
26-02-08, 10:22 AM
There's only one that I know of in the whole of Stirlingshire, and it was put in 5-6 years ago

don't know can't afford to fill it what i can tell you is put in £30 last week at 100.9 pence a litre and got 160 miles, not to good at maths but i think thats somewhere around 20 mpg please correct me if i'm wrong

arwilson80
26-02-08, 10:43 AM
Works out around 25mpg by my calculations ;) and comparing that to the readouts i'm getting on my ScanGauge these days that is spot on. :)

Oh and, as for changing... IMO it's best to do what suits you. After all it's you that has got o pay for it, run it, and live off what you earn. :)

If i was to be totally honest... the Astra Nürburgring version is tempting. :yes: (but that is 20 trips to the US ;))

ZS180V6
26-02-08, 11:07 AM
Seems like there a quite a few people wanting to sell . Mine is up on Piston Heads but have not really tried to sell yet. The cost of having a thirsty car is increasing all the time as are the tax and insurance. I run two cars and it is v expensive.

Problem is we like the MG and the power so small cars do not really do it but money is also nice...........

arwilson80
26-02-08, 11:25 AM
I guess GB's whole theory on taxing 'gas guzzlers' off the road is working then... :(

I'm not looking to sell mine, but if the chance arises to get out of this country i have to say that i'd actually let it go without a 2nd thought. :yikes: Maybe looking at a 3.5L where fuel is 52p or so a litre may have a part to play in it.

KevG
26-02-08, 11:46 AM

Already answered that matey (below)!

I fill the tank, do 280-300 miles and that lasts for about a week and a bit, and that's not driving much at the weekend, just doing the commute and back home that's it.

KevG
26-02-08, 11:57 AM
Works out around 25mpg by my calculations ;) and comparing that to the readouts i'm getting on my ScanGauge these days that is spot on.

It is 21.6 MPG, so that averages out at 21.1p per mile

Maxxed_Ross
26-02-08, 12:06 PM
hell that's expensive. I'm getting about 320-330 out of mine but I probably do a bit more motorway driving that you do.

It's not looking good

Smokey
26-02-08, 12:28 PM
christ in a years time this will be theMGZS110.co.uk! damned governments!

Craig
26-02-08, 02:33 PM
christ in a years time this will be theMGZS110.co.uk! damned governments!

Will it feck! :D

wilko66
26-02-08, 02:35 PM
Will it feck! :D

:clap2: nice one bud

chriszs180
26-02-08, 02:48 PM
It is 21.6 MPG, so that averages out at 21.1p per mile

on my st its saying17.7mpg average at the moment so its rerally bad but the turbo sounds great when it kicks in and the pops bangs and whistles are great....

arwilson80
26-02-08, 03:19 PM
But Ford's are generally known for being thirsty... :)

Craig
26-02-08, 03:26 PM
But Ford's are generally known for being rusty... :)

:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: :innocent:

Craig
26-02-08, 03:27 PM
One of my mates from the zr site got an ST2, he loves it but says its terrible on fuel. i love them I would have one if I had that kinda money.

Maxxed_Ross
26-02-08, 04:27 PM
As long as I'm pulling it out the ground I'll be burning as much as I can!

arwilson80
26-02-08, 10:00 PM
As long as I'm pulling it out the ground I'll be burning as much as I can!

Even when it get's to £2/L? ;)

grimmy
27-02-08, 05:04 PM
hell that's expensive. I'm getting about 320-330 out of mine but I probably do a bit more motorway driving that you do.

It's not looking good
Thats half the problem Ross my run to work is all on single carriage b roads there is no public transport that works to and from it ,and i have to pick the wife up when i finish at 5 as she would not get home till after 6 if she had to rely on buses, not ideal in the dark winter nights as you can imagine, so i do need to use the ca.r i did get about 380 miles from a tank when i went down south which was reasonable but b roads are a killer on fuel jumping up and down gears just don't know how i can keep doing it the car also needs some work done and i just can't afford to get it done as my spare cash puts fuel in it. not a happy bunny at the moment.:angry:

Boot Hill Bandit
27-02-08, 05:51 PM
try and consider a 120 bud, i went from a 180 down to a 120, for the same reason. it takes a bit of getting used to but you can have just as much fun with a 120. Ask Jim he's been out in my car and was suprised how quick it is

Yep the K series twinky revs quite happily really......get a 1.8 and tune it up to 160bhp+ easily enough......keep the revs low and watch the fuel gauge never move!

One reason why I was after an MGF but I think that is out the window. To be honest I am seriously considering bailing out of my ZS now as well. Lots of reasons but I just ain't coping or have the money to hold onto it.

I think from my point of view at this precise moment in time it's either me going under or selling the ZS :sad:

Jim

tcb 180
01-03-08, 07:09 AM
It gets worse with the Mondeo st 220. 12mpg reported.

tcb 180
01-03-08, 07:11 AM
Got a fiesta diesel for work at about 45+mpg.The zed hardly turned a wheel in past week but boy I then love taking it out when I do.