PDA

View Full Version : MOT Question

stamford
28-02-08, 09:50 AM
I need to know:

With regards front foglights, are they part of an MOT test? If so, do you require to have two fitted?

Reason I ask is that I removed one for the cold air feed, so only have the offside one working, if I ever used them anyway.

If I require both present and working, then is there anything stopping me from blanking the remaining one and disabling the switch?

As it is I have to take a day off to MOT it, so don't want to be wasting a day if it fails for that reason alone.

Cheers all.

ZS
28-02-08, 09:53 AM
As I understand it, if they are present then they both have to be working.

I would remove the other and remove the switch, then they cannot question either way :D

KevG
28-02-08, 11:28 AM
Front fog lights aren't required for MoT,

Optional lamps: Any additional position lamps are optional and are not included in the inspection.

The MoT Manual (http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm)

Also

MoT Tester (http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-cog.html)

stamford
28-02-08, 12:08 PM
Superb Kev, just as I thought.

Never been one to make assumptions..................

afcbadam
28-02-08, 02:20 PM
as far as i know all the lights on the car have to be working to pass the mot. if you havent got a fog light it doesnt have to be working. see where im coming from. they cant fail what you havnt got

markyzs180
28-02-08, 06:43 PM
front fogs not part of mot wheteher fitted, half fitted ( ;) ) or none at all, rear fogs (if fitted) are....

Mat C
28-02-08, 07:36 PM
Front fog lamps aren't required by law to be fitted to a car and therefore are not a requirement of the MOT. However, if they are fitted it must be a pair (as opposed to the allowance of one rear fog lamp) and any fitted light must be in working order. For the purpose of the MOT it would be easier just to plug the fog lamp back in rather than take out the other one and remove the switch. The cold air feed can be temporarily re-routed. :)

KevG
28-02-08, 07:44 PM
as far as i know all the lights on the car have to be working to pass the mot. if you havent got a fog light it doesnt have to be working. see where im coming from. they cant fail what you havnt got

Front fog lamps aren't required by law to be fitted to a car and therefore are not a requirement of the MOT. However, if they are fitted it must be a pair (as opposed to the allowance of one rear fog lamp) and any fitted light must be in working order. For the purpose of the MOT it would be easier just to plug the fog lamp back in rather than take out the other one and remove the switch. The cold air feed can be temporarily re-routed. :)

Does anybody actually read the links that folk post!!!

Front fog lights aren't required for MoT,

The MoT Manual (http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm)

Also

MoT Tester (http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-cog.html)

front fogs not part of mot wheteher fitted, half fitted ( ;) ) or none at all, rear fogs (if fitted) are....

At least sombody has read the MoT manual!!!

Mat C
28-02-08, 07:48 PM
Does anybody actually read the links that folk post!!!

CALM DOWN DEAR - it's only a forum ! :shutup:

Andyf
29-02-08, 02:04 PM
I can confirm what has been said, they are NOT tested even if fitted. I know this as I checked before I retro fitted mine as I didn't want to pay the hours labour for them to re program the ecu to say it now had front fog lights so knew mine wouldn't work. I have since had my car MOT'd with it's non working fog lights and it passed and they weren't even mentioned.

lukiep160
29-02-08, 06:55 PM
It seems to be a rumour that if a vehicle is fitted then it has to work This is not true. Like Stamford has asked front fogs don't need to work and definately don't need to be fitted as a pair. Just like high level brake lamps alot of people seem to think that if fitted they need to work this is not true even though it maybe there i can only fail it if it is wired up and doesn't work But i'm also not allowed to strip anything so its hard to tell if it wired up so what i like to do in cases like this is pass and advise it.

hope that helps you out, from your freindly MOT tester

stamford
29-02-08, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies peeps. Will be applying some black tank tape to the other light to balance them up as the CAF intake is black gauze.

Craig
29-02-08, 07:28 PM
Iv only got one due to my CAF Mick. Nothing was mentioned at all. Mine passed fine last week

stamford
29-02-08, 09:09 PM
Iv only got one due to my CAF Mick. Nothing was mentioned at all. Mine passed fine last week

So you done the same thing then Craig?

tcb 180
01-03-08, 07:01 AM
Thousands upon thousands must play the game each year.All the mods come off to get the ticket then back on once the objective has been achieved.The tester last year was good enough to tape up some(eu dipping to the wrong side) smoked headlights on the lads car to get us a pass.

JAG@HDG
02-03-08, 10:53 AM
Thousands upon thousands must play the game each year.All the mods come off to get the ticket then back on once the objective has been achieved.The tester last year was good enough to tape up some(eu dipping to the wrong side) smoked headlights on the lads car to get us a pass.

Surely it would be better to fit things properly than hope you get away with it?