PDA

View Full Version : the zed might be going

afcbadam
02-03-08, 06:22 PM
getting board with the car and annoyed with the fuel bills. been looking at a couple of 2003 astra gsi 2.0l turbo. bit quicker than the 180 and alot better on the fuel. been in one before and there nice cars.

Mat C
02-03-08, 06:30 PM
Exactly my thoughts from a few weeks back ! :)

afcbadam
02-03-08, 06:48 PM
its costing me £50 to do about 250 miles. its taking thi pi$$ the astras i like do 100 miles than that and there cheaper tax

ian zs180
02-03-08, 06:48 PM
the astra gsi is not quicker than the 180 my mate had a gsi astra on a 53 plate and to be honest i wasnt impressed with it at all and to be honest dont think he was either he didnt have it long and got shut he now has the astra vxr now that is quick . I had a bit of a play wiv him when i had my vectra sri 2.6 v6 and he couldnt get away from me and i can tell you that my zs would wipe the floor with my vectra all day long but yeah the astra gsi is a nice car but be warned you will probley have the famous engine light coming on twice a year vauxhall,s are a pain in the rear for this If i was you i would consider a leon cupra much better car than the astra

afcbadam
02-03-08, 06:52 PM
there might have been something wrong. ive been out in one and it felt very quick. even on paper there ment to be 0.3 seconds quicker to 60. thing i like is they are a turbo so i can spend £2000 getting a mg zs to 230 bhp or £400 getting a astra there

afcbadam
02-03-08, 06:54 PM
i like the astra because there a decent size i think the seat would be to small

carmadbaker
02-03-08, 06:58 PM
everyone must go through this phase...i nearly sold my 180 for a TF 160 or possibly even a type-s civic because of the amount of petrol i was using.....but i went and looked around a showroom and realised.....no other car in my price range would make me smile every single time you turn that engine over....just grab your keys.....go for a hard blitz paying no attention to your fuel gauge....then tell me you still wanna sell it.....it worked for me:D

Boot Hill Bandit
02-03-08, 07:05 PM
everyone must go through this phase...i nearly sold my 180 for a TF 160 or possibly even a type-s civic because of the amount of petrol i was using.....but i went and looked around a showroom and realised.....no other car in my price range would make me smile every single time you turn that engine over....just grab your keys.....go for a hard blitz paying no attention to your fuel gauge....then tell me you still wanna sell it.....it worked for me:D

Cheer up folks.......

I usually brim my tank and get 180 - 200 miles out of a tank......

if you wanna spank the tank.........do it in style.........buy a V6 ponce mobile as Weagie would say :thumbsup:

Jim

Mat C
02-03-08, 07:06 PM
the astra gsi is not quicker than the 180

Name any sum of money you care to and i'll bet you that the Astra MK4 GSi is faster than a ZS180. My bro' had one and when i had my MK1 180 we had a session against each other. His GSi was standard, my 180 had a twin exhaust and induction kit and a superchip and was rollered at 193bhp. We did best of 3 from 0-60 and he won all 3, we did a 3rd gear 50 to 90 run, he won easily, we did the same in 4th, he won easily then we did 30mph in 2nd to whatever we could reach - he sailed away from me. Your mates car was a dog, simple as.

afcbadam
02-03-08, 07:16 PM
Name any sum of money you care to and i'll bet you that the Astra MK4 GSi is faster than a ZS180. My bro' had one and when i had my MK1 180 we had a session against each other. His GSi was standard, my 180 had a twin exhaust and induction kit and a superchip and was rollered at 193bhp. We did best of 3 from 0-60 and he won all 3, we did a 3rd gear 50 to 90 run, he won easily, we did the same in 4th, he won easily then we did 30mph in 2nd to whatever we could reach - he sailed away from me. Your mates car was a dog, simple as.

i agree thats 1 of the reasons i want one. also there a lot cheaper to run. not on about fuel bills but cambelt change and servicing ect. there the same group insurance as the 180 and a lot nicer/more modern inside and have a hell of a lot smoother ride (mines a mk1) so the naff interior

carmadbaker
02-03-08, 07:19 PM
don't give in!!! take her out for a ride.....right now! lol its quicker...probably.....smoother....definately....n icer inside....hhmm....suppose....but no way in a million years can a 2.0 turbo make the noise of a rover v6!!

Dan1971
02-03-08, 07:24 PM
Is it just me .... or are there other people out there who just like saying, to people, "It's a 2 and a half litre V6" ..... They pull the , "Really, that's a big engine in a not so big car" face, nod and give that inverted smile face...... I love it.

I love the sound of it when I start it up without even blipping the throttle. When I do blip the throttle, in the words of God, (Clarkson), when referring to an Alfa I think, I start to "nurse a semi".

I filled the tank the other day and I reckon I'm getting 23mpg. Now I've been playing around like a complete numpty and enjoying the engine to its full up to about 80mph. In comparison, my wife gets 26 out of our 1.6 Auto Renault Scenic. I'll pay the difference gladly.

Now I get the "Astra is faster" thing ...... there's plenty out there faster......but I'll take my MG 2.5V6........ For now anyway.

afcbadam
02-03-08, 07:25 PM
don't give in!!! take her out for a ride.....right now! lol its quicker...probably.....smoother....definately....n icer inside....hhmm....suppose....but no way in a million years can a 2.0 turbo make the noise of a rover v6!!

i 100% agree about it will never make the v6 noise. but i also noticed you used the word rover....

afcbadam
02-03-08, 07:30 PM
for a 2.5 v6 180 bhp isni alot when you consider renault get 192 bhp from a 2.0 16v. yea its a big engine but power wise it isnt a lot. i would rather have bhp's than cc's

carmadbaker
02-03-08, 07:37 PM
i 100% agree about it will never make the v6 noise. but i also noticed you used the word rover....

R attles
O ld mans car
V ery high running cost
E lectrics playing up....again!
R ubbish build quality

lol!! never heard that, i like it. ha ha!! sure they rattle, cost a fortune to run, and the build quality is definately something to be desired but they have character!! people smile when they see a big family saloon/hatchback blitz away from traffic lights like a rocket, they are different and fun....
in the end though.....DON'T DO IT!!!!

afcbadam
02-03-08, 07:40 PM
they do have character and they are different and one of the best looking cars about but i have had 4 off them now so i just feel it will soon be time for a change

Dan1971
02-03-08, 07:43 PM
they do have character and they are different and one of the best looking cars about but i have had 4 off them now so i just feel it will soon be time for a change

"FOUR !!! "
You are the last person to be convinced by other owners then as you've come back for more already ....
In that case and you've had enough .... go for it. What's the budget ?

afcbadam
02-03-08, 07:49 PM
about £5500 -£6000 not huge amounts but enough to but a nice 2003 gsi with 50k. not many about with that miles for that that price but they do occasionally pop up. and who knows i might get board with that and come back

carmadbaker
02-03-08, 08:00 PM
FOUR!?!?!? i think you love them cars enough! but as Dan said....you've had your fair share....go for something else lol

afcbadam
02-03-08, 08:09 PM
i will say for anybody thinking of buying one i have had no major problems atall with any off them i cant knock the reliability and will kill anybody who does. there great cars

carmadbaker
02-03-08, 08:11 PM
here here :)

afcbadam
02-03-08, 08:14 PM
here here :)

there there :confused:
love doing that. couldnt resist.lol

talkingcars
02-03-08, 08:35 PM
I've only had my ZS180 for 4 weeks so I still enjoying the right foot thrills i.e. not driving for ecconomy
but it is far more ecconomical than the Range Rover V8 3.5 or the Espace 2.9 V6 that preceded it and not much worse than the Rover 114 I've been driving recently.

I managed 8 days on a tank full in the ZS against 5 in the R114, £37 to £25 and on a recent run from Gatwick to Stafford only used 3 litres more in the ZS than the R114, thats over a 200 mile run.

And then there is the drivability of a Vee engine, try doing roundabouts in 5th in your tubby astra............

To save petrol simple don't press the loud peddle so hard.

James

P.S. I get about 15 miles to the gallon out of my 2.0 16v tubby maestro! We don't use it except for fun.

KevG
02-03-08, 10:31 PM

R attles
O ld mans car
V ery high running cost
E lectrics playing up....again!
R ubbish build quality

for a 2.5 v6 180 bhp isni alot when you consider renault get 192 bhp from a 2.0 16v. yea its a big engine but power wise it isnt a lot. i would rather have bhp's than cc's

i will say for anybody thinking of buying one i have had no major problems atall with any off them i cant knock the reliability and will kill anybody who does. there great cars

You slate the car then turn round say that you say it one of the nicest cars around!!!!!!!! Very Strange!!

As for your Astra Tubby Idea, I have done a few head2heads with at least 2 Tubbies round here, and I can say that on both occasions I whooped them. they are not the best car to have, try getting a Mk3 Astra and slotting a redtop V6 from a cavvy in it then you can claim many ZS180's as victim's. no that is fun!

afcbadam
03-03-08, 04:54 PM
great cars and best looking cars does not mean nicest cars around
the rover bit is only telling the truth

ian zs180
03-03-08, 05:29 PM
i,ve gotta say though dont expect the vauxhall build to be any better than the mg coz quite frankly i,ve had a mk1 astra gte and a vectra 2.6 v6 on a 51 plate and the build quility wasnt that good i had the vectra from 6 months old it had to go back in under warrenty for work on the boot lid as it was rotting around the rear spoiler and also had a door inch snap clean away from the body good build quility i think not so dont be to hard on mg- rover coz my zs is deffo no worse than both my vauxhalls

afcbadam
03-03-08, 05:36 PM
dad has a mk 4 astra and the build quality of that is very good. there never been a rattle and thats on a 1999 v plate hes only had 1 thing go wrong with it and that was the door locked its self shut apart from that its been fine

markyzs180
03-03-08, 06:07 PM
sounds to me like your minds already made up mate, go get the tubby...

see you back in 6 months....... ;) ;) :):):):):):):););)

stamford
03-03-08, 06:52 PM
You pay your monies, you takes your choice.

You get whatever you feel is right for you. I have had alot of cars over the years, too many to mention, but probably tried to in another thread ;)

The argument here, is it about **** waving or just wanting a change? Me, I love my ZS, I have had quicker cars but none as complete as the ZS for all around performance for the money. I would say without doubt that the ZS180 will become a future cult classic and be much sought after, more so that an Astra.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an anti-Vauxhall person, those that may know me will know I was a die hard Vauxhall fan for many years owning Viva's, Magnum's, Firenza's, HS Chevette and lately the V6 Omega Tourer and before the ZS a V6 Calibra. There are only a few cars that will be remembered for being a good car or a great car. The only Astra that may be remembered in the same vein will be the VXR and the MK2 GTE.

Now may be the time for change, but if you don't like it, there is always the ZS to come back to, but don't leave it too late as all the good ones will be gone, by that I mean not sold on but kept ;)

Boot Hill Bandit
03-03-08, 06:57 PM
The argument here, is it about **** waving or just wanting a change? ;)

I do believe the Essex Boyz term is 'KNOB OUT' :D

according to reliable sources....

well :hmmm:

the guy with the Kleenex on the back seat, the pipe, the slippers and missing his ironing board on the boot :whistle: aka Wilko66 :D

Only kidding buddy........you know I loves ya ;) you are the Modding Man :D

Jim

stamford
03-03-08, 06:59 PM
Whassup Jimbo, can't you write ****? all I see is **** :laugh:

Boot Hill Bandit
03-03-08, 07:01 PM
Whassup Jimbo, can't you write ****? all I see is **** :laugh:

******* smart arsed *******

I can write ****........of course I can :p

You know how I like to share my love around......even though it can get a little messy :whistle:

Jim

Okay.......I seem to have lost my **** :cry: do I need to put up a wanted advert? :sad:

stamford
03-03-08, 07:02 PM
Am I glad I'm not within spitting distance :sick:

Boot Hill Bandit
03-03-08, 07:03 PM
Am I glad I'm not within spitting distance :sick:

:rofl: :thumbsup:

Jim

Dave ZS-X
03-03-08, 07:48 PM
astra might be a nadger quicker in a straight line but round a lap my money would be on the zs because it handles and lays its power very well ,were as the astra ,well it just doesnt,lmao.

afcbadam
04-03-08, 03:58 PM
as i do 100% of my driving on a motorway and have never visited a race track in my life a lap time isnt important to me atall. personally i would rather have a car thats quicker in a straight line . no disrespect to the people that like track racing, its just not my thing.

georgiansoccer
04-03-08, 04:16 PM
road tax for the astra and the ZS are the same at £205

mpg 32 for the astra so its not really gonna be any better than the ZS

afcbadam
04-03-08, 10:43 PM
oh was told tax for a astra was £180 regal autosport just up the road from me can remap a astra to 234 bhp and take it up to 37mpg for £300 odd thats one of the reasons im interested. can this be done to a zs

Kev2Dogs
04-03-08, 11:33 PM
I agree with Stamford. I have been behind the wheel of many different makes and models over the years but i love my new 120

Alan.F
05-03-08, 06:59 AM
Its up to the individual at the end of the day but insurance is a factor aswell fuel cost dont come in to it for me i pay over £400 for my 120 because of my post code for a laugh i got a quote on a new Focus ST2 and all i got quoted was £290 F/C against the £400+ for my 53 ZS

arwilson80
05-03-08, 09:31 AM
I like the Astra Nurburgring (sp?) but i think i'll stick with what i've got just now. ;) The cost of buying new and all the bits and pieces... :no:

ian zs180
05-03-08, 06:00 PM
when you say regal can give you 234 bhp and 37 miles per gallon for £300 well i would ask them to prove that to you . Every car is different and the only way to get that figure spot on would be to do a live mapping and to be honest i dont think they will do that, i went regal last year with a mate of mine he got his vectra 3.2 gsi remapped and all they did was download the software from germany i think it was to his ecu but there was no live mapping just plug and go . When he asked could they put it on the rollers for him they seemed a little bit how could i put it well they wernt keen on doing it but in the end they did he paid extra for that i think in the add it said he would gain 27bhp on the rollers it was a gain of 15 bhp so just beware what they say ask them can they gaurantee you that power increase and would they prove that to you if you were willing to pay the extra for a rolling road run .I,m sure if there that confident they wont mind one bit . Good luck with it anyway

DeMoNPauL
06-03-08, 01:13 AM
oh was told tax for a astra was £180 regal autosport just up the road from me can remap a astra to 234 bhp and take it up to 37mpg for £300 odd thats one of the reasons im interested. can this be done to a zs

Hmm how interesting.

I was at a vauxhall rolling road day not too long ago and there was 3 supposedly chipped Gsi there and only one of them made over 210 bhp.

Infact i got talking to one of the guys and he told me his mpg when thrashing it was more like 20mpg.

The gsi is pretty much similar in power to weight with a modded ZS 180 albeit it supposedly has 22 bhp more and weighs pretty much the same.

One thing to note is the 180 is far better around the bends and it looks a lot better than a astra.

Anyways i hope you enjoy your car if you buy it.

afcbadam
06-03-08, 07:06 AM
not asked if they prove that before its done. was just going on what another bloke had done on his gsi around the corner from me and whats on there website. thanks for letting me know what does a zs remap to. does it improve fuel economy