PDA

View Full Version : Horn!

dvid
05-03-08, 12:42 PM
Hi all

I tired my horn for the first time yesterday and erm.... oh dear

The person I was honking at was maybe 50 yards down the road and she didnt hear it (I did know her lol) Instead of making a normal beep beep naff horn noise, my horn made like a farting noise! :oops:

Is that likely to be a bust horn or a loose connection? where is the horn located?

Not too worried as first MOT isnt until april 09, but concious that it is something that might need sorting!

ZS
05-03-08, 12:44 PM
That sounds just like the normal horn :p it is rather naff!

Seriously get someone who owns a ZS to listen and tell you if it is the Normal noise... otherwise you may find the horn itself needs replacing, I recommend an after market horn ;)

dvid
05-03-08, 12:47 PM
it doesnt sound like any other car horns you hear, you know the little wimpy beep beep! it is a deep sounding fart sound! that isnt very loud obviously as my auntie in law didn't turn round! Maybe she was ignoring me!? hmmm

arwilson80
05-03-08, 12:52 PM
Could be water in it, but it definately doesn't seem right. :)

Stevedx
05-03-08, 12:54 PM
Sounds odd, mine is quite powerful

dvid
05-03-08, 12:58 PM
Next time your in Burgess Hill let me know!

Where is the horn on a MK2? Maybe I'll check the connections?

Stevedx
05-03-08, 01:16 PM
OK mate, maybe they put rubbish hoens in the mark 2?

R8NMG
05-03-08, 01:30 PM
The OE horn is rubbish to start with but mk2 horns are known to break. Usually in the first year or 2. Mine broke just over the first year. When mine failed it didn't even sounded all I could hear was the relay clicking. The horn I believe is situated behind the front bumper. Steble Airhorn apparently is a good substitute but requires minor modication as it is slightly bigger than the OE horn.

ZS
05-03-08, 01:31 PM
Up until 03 they had Twin horns IIRC, from 03 on they cut costs by removing one horn and leaving a weak single horn.

The horn is located behind the front bumper on the passenger side IIRC :)

dvid
05-03-08, 01:42 PM
Cool, I will take a look

Maxxed_Ross
05-03-08, 04:11 PM
yeah it's on the passenger side just below the headlight and round a bit. Big black thing that looks like a stumpy square trumpet.

I'm planning on fitting a Sparco motorsoprt twin horn when the bumper is off anyway. £25 off ebay

Jem
06-03-08, 01:20 PM
The OE horn is rubbish to start with but mk2 horns are known to break. Usually in the first year or 2. Mine broke just over the first year. The horn I believe is situated behind the front bumper. .

Yep the horn is behind the front bumper,mine went there was no sign of it going untill it stopped working alltogether

Andyf
06-03-08, 02:37 PM
My horn sounded like a horn from a 1930's car when I fitted my front fogs as the nearside one was touching it so it didn't resonate properly.