PDA

View Full Version : Insurance time.... I was in for a small shock

Maxxed_Ross
15-03-08, 02:34 AM
Well after taking the plunge and buying the ZS end of last year I thought my insurance would be semi ok as I only had to add around £200 to my existing ZR policy, taking it to just over £900 a year fully comp with Elephant.

As it is up at the end of the month I thought I better start looking around, and to my horror I could find a quote under £1200 even before I mentioned mods :jump:

Adrian Flux, the "fast car/young driver/enthusiast specailist" were almost the worst I tried at a whopping £1600 with just the exhaust claimed :huh:

But then Direct Line shon a becon of hope at £890... brilliant I thought - until i phoned them up and they told me the car had to be totally standard as I'm under 25. There's some mighty fine small print for ya!

So just as I thought all hope was lost my renewal with Elephant came through the door.... £830 fully comp :smart:

A quick phonecall later and ALL my mods (including manifold, twin pipes, air filter and big wheels) are also covered for an additional £30!!!!

dave87
15-03-08, 02:40 AM
ya ****** that about what i am paying for a standard 110 with one years no claims at 21!!

Dan1971
15-03-08, 05:53 AM
Mines up now too .... My 180 is gonna cost me about £400 fully comp protected .... and I reckoned I was paying too much. (Age 37, full no claims, wife a named driver).

You youngsters are getting hammered. I remember reading somewhere that very often if there's a woman on the policy it may go down. You guys should get a quote with your mum as a named driver. Who knows, she might have to collect you from the pub one day ???

markyzs180
15-03-08, 08:47 AM
Mines up now too .... My 180 is gonna cost me about £400 fully comp protected .... and I reckoned I was paying too much. (Age 37, full no claims, wife a named driver).

You youngsters are getting hammered. I remember reading somewhere that very often if there's a woman on the policy it may go down. You guys should get a quote with your mum as a named driver. Who knows, she might have to collect you from the pub one day ???

Dan Just got it for £310 thru Sheilas Wheels because the wife is on the insurance......:thumbsup: (soz kids..... :( )

summerfies
15-03-08, 08:57 AM
Dan Just got it for £310 thru Sheilas Wheels because the wife is on the insurance......:thumbsup: (soz kids..... :( )

I paid £430 but that's for a fully modified car, which most of the mods have not been done yet. But when I do then I just ring them up and tell them and it is added FOC. I am 37 and my wife is on the insurance but I had a claim last year where my first ZS was written off because of the floods in July, which is classed as my fault. So i am paying a bit too much at the moment. The premium I should have paid would have been about £325.

stamford
15-03-08, 09:02 AM
Adding my wife this time around made no difference, so she is not on it full stop ;) I am expecting my renewal soon, currently £303 fulll comp with mods declared.

markyzs180
15-03-08, 09:20 AM
Adding my wife this time around made no difference, so she is not on it full stop ;) I am expecting my renewal soon, currently £303 fulll comp with mods declared.

Who do you guys go with who don't mind the mods...most I try turn you down flat! Only got an xpower thruflow which was a dealer fit option anyway so any queries and it'll be the old 'well it was on there when i bought it guv'

stamford
15-03-08, 09:28 AM
I'm now with Admiral as I get to insure the MG, the wife's O2 Jimny and a 1.4 Xsara, discount for multi-car. I pay around £88 a month to cover all three, much cheaper than when I was insuring just two cars.

You need to shop around, I found the likes of Flux et al to be useless and expensive, they seemed to think they have the monopoly for modified cars when most highstreet places will cover you. Don't be fooled by this.

I used to be with Churchill for years until I bought the 180, they stipulated a tracker, went to Norwich union for a couple of years until their renewal came through and it went up. Switched to Admiral and couldn't believe the difference. We'll see when that comes through however!

Maxfly
15-03-08, 10:05 AM
flux seem to be fine for me, adding the girlfriend does bring it down a touch (as does putting me on her policy for her car) i paid £365 fully comp for mine in december. :)

stamford
15-03-08, 11:28 AM
You got a good price from Flux then, I didn't, I was disappointed in what I had back comsidering full no claims, no points and no convictions. They obviously didn't like my name and where I lived!

Maxfly
15-03-08, 03:03 PM
You got a good price from Flux then, I didn't, I was disappointed in what I had back comsidering full no claims, no points and no convictions. They obviously didn't like my name and where I lived!

aye, seems strange how they can be so expensive for others when they are so cheap for me!! though i do have to shop around to get a half decent price and they will always at least match it if not be cheaper for me:)

Maxxed_Ross
15-03-08, 05:06 PM
Aye my mum has always been on the insurance, it drops it about £60

I just need to threaten her every so often not to touch it lol

summerfies
16-03-08, 07:30 AM
Who do you guys go with who don't mind the mods...most I try turn you down flat! Only got an xpower thruflow which was a dealer fit option anyway so any queries and it'll be the old 'well it was on there when i bought it guv'

Adrian S Flux for mine aswell. I only pay £400 + because I had a Fault claim last year which wrote my first ZS off. Otherwise it would have been £325. Have the Club not got any discount scheme set up for ZS owners?

Dan1971
16-03-08, 12:19 PM
Happy days .... Admiral just quoted me £317 on line, protected no claims and with business use. That also included the piper cross induction kit and exterior decoration, (union jack roof I'm waiting for).

Without the mods, it would have only been £288. Seems the rapidly appearing grey hairs are good for something after all !!:thumbsup:

niknog
16-03-08, 03:26 PM
I have been looking at setting up some sort of discounts with a few Insurers, I use (by the way I am a Personal Lines Clerk for an Insurance Broker) but upto now the only deal I can get has minimum premiums, they will do majority of mods, but it seems to me that quite a few premiums being mentioned on here will make this company to expensive. I have a few more irons in the fire and if anything comes of them you will be the first to know.

We have been extremely busy for the last few weeks so I had to put this on hold but in just over a week i will be able to dedicate some time to sift through and hopefully find some good deals.

Maxfly
16-03-08, 05:16 PM
themgzr gets a discount with flux iirc, also the mgowners club get discounts with a lot of companies, thats who i mention when i am asked about car clubs:)

Maxxed_Ross
16-03-08, 05:25 PM
I think we have a Flux discount too, they normally just ask you if you are a member of an owners club

JAG@HDG
16-03-08, 08:10 PM

Elephant were fine with my thruflow, I just ticked the 'non-standard exhaust' box.

Dan1971
02-04-08, 07:03 PM
Elephant .... Induction kit noted, decals noted, £ 307 protected no claims including business use.

Happy with that. Oh :yes:

Maxxed_Ross
03-04-08, 06:54 AM
blimey, that is good!

dvid
03-04-08, 08:33 AM
I'm with elephant... £540 Business Class 2 and no claims protection... With 1 accident against my name. 25 with 5 years NCB