PDA

View Full Version : boot spring

john180
14-04-08, 10:11 AM
Hi Guys,

Ever since i got my rear spoiler on my car the boot doesnt pop open like it did obviously because of the weight. Is there a way to tighten the spring up so it pops open better. i nearly have to hold it open or it will fall back down on my head at the min.

Cheers for the help.

John

stamford
14-04-08, 10:54 AM
I am sure there is another position that the torsion bar can locate into. Not 100% sure mind as I have never had any issues with mine, even when I changed my spoiler.

ZS
14-04-08, 11:32 AM
Yes there is...

Difficult to push it into position... there is a how to floating around somewhere that I did...

Steves Cleenz
14-04-08, 01:54 PM
i thought the springs where 2 different part numbers, 1 for with the spoiler and 1 without, but you can adjust it yourself if you havent uprated your rear speakers, the way to do it is to get a big screwdriver and if you look in your boot you will see where they fit under the back shelf here is a quick pic of what to do :)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/200bubs/PICT0002-20.jpg

lukiep160
14-04-08, 06:18 PM
There are stronger springs for the extreme spoiler

Zippy Saloon
15-04-08, 03:19 AM
Not sure if its just the case that the springs (or a batch of them are crap), adjusted mine and it was OK for a couple of months, then went back to how it was - dropping to half closed position.
Originally I put some small wooden blocks in to increase the twist on the bars, this is before I read about there being two positions (though this months MG Enthusiast says there are three positions - can't work that one out), this worked well TBH
In the end I went for the telescopic struts option and thay have been fine - been on about a year now.

JAG@HDG
18-04-08, 08:35 AM
In the end I went for the telescopic struts option and thay have been fine - been on about a year now.

Struts are definitely the way to go... http://mgdiaries.blogspot.com/2007/05/droopy-boot-syndrome.html

Maxxed_Ross
18-04-08, 05:13 PM
I attempted to move mine and nearly took my fingers off

As above fitting a strut is the way forward... stops it falling shut on your head too!

john180
22-07-08, 11:09 AM
sorry to bring this back to life but where should i get the struts from and which type?? i'm sick of the boot being blown back down by a slight breeze! Am i right in thinking it should open right up when i press the button on the remote fob?

arwilson80
22-07-08, 12:49 PM
Mine doesn't... Sometimes mine needs a good lift to get it open (bonds slightly to the rubber seal).

dvid
22-07-08, 01:21 PM
Mine pops but doesnt open at all, not even a little bounce!

john180
22-07-08, 02:17 PM
oh.... must be the mk2s been cheap crap springs then. Any ideas where i can get the struts to force it open when i press the fob??

ZS
22-07-08, 02:28 PM
oh.... must be the mk2s been cheap crap springs then. Any ideas where i can get the struts to force it open when i press the fob??

Mines a Mk1... with one tension spring and two XJS (IIRC) Struts.

Opens nicely and stays in any position I put it.

If I put two tensions springs in and the two struts, then when you turn the key it flies open and smacks you in the face! :p (obviously your standing too close in that case!)

Might help - http://mgdiaries.blogspot.com/2007/05/droopy-boot-syndrome.html

john180
22-07-08, 02:33 PM
Mines a Mk1... with one tension spring and two XJS (IIRC) Struts.

Opens nicely and stays in any position I put it.

If I put two tensions springs in and the two struts, then when you turn the key it flies open and smacks you in the face! :p (obviously your standing too close in that case!)

where did you get yours from?? also how did you fit??

ZS
22-07-08, 02:43 PM
where did you get yours from?? also how did you fit??

Got them from ebay.

Fitted with the aid of a Drill, some bolts with balls on (you know the type... can never remember what they are called!) taken from a rover 200 in a scrap yard... a hammer some locking nuts the same size as the thread on the ball screws...

and a lil help looking at the blog I mentioned in the last post :)

If you were closer to here I would suggest meeting up to have a look :) - or possibly even offer a hand!

Maxxed_Ross
22-07-08, 05:09 PM
would it work better if you took the torsions bar(s) off? Sounds like it's a bit violent with two rams

john180
22-07-08, 05:54 PM
ahhh cool couldn't read the blog as we are filtered at. I'm useless at this sortof thing. any one in yorkshire fancy helping me out lol??? :D

ZS
23-07-08, 08:53 AM
would it work better if you took the torsions bar(s) off? Sounds like it's a bit violent with two rams

I've removed one torsion bar... And its pretty much perfect now :) enough spring to pop the boot without being too violent :)

bigfella
27-08-08, 02:21 PM
I shall be doing something similar, using 2x 80n struts. Hopefully they are powerful enough. Even at a minimum for the boot to stay in any position I leave it in would be good.

DeMoNPauL
28-08-08, 01:17 AM

How wrong could you be?

On our MK1 We had problems with the boot lid coming down but it was easily rectified by adjusting the torsion bars onto the other setting and the problem went away.

On our mk2 we have no problems at all with the boot lid.

It goes up correctly and stays up whilst you are under it.

If people would take the time to look into the history of the car on forums etc then it surely would become clear to them.

First of all make sure the spoiler is not full of water.

It takes in water and can be very heavy when its full of it.

Secondly factory fit spoilers were far better quality then dealership fit spoilers were.

Seems dealership spoilers only had one setting.

Theres alot more info on this on - http://forums.xpowerforums.com/

Zippy Saloon
28-08-08, 05:51 AM
Seems dealership spoilers only had one setting.

????

Bigfella - did you get the strut I posted to you?

bigfella
28-08-08, 06:05 AM
Opps sorry, I thought I'd posted a PM to say thanks. Unfortunately the one you sent was seized but I have managed to source something similar.

Thanks for doing that though as I can use it as a template.

Zippy Saloon
28-08-08, 10:45 AM
Sorry its no good - was ok when I got it but its been sat in the garage for about a year!

Are you sure its seized - they are REALLY hard to compress by hand.

john180
28-08-08, 12:31 PM
i'm after fitting some of these things to my boot - where can i get some that will fit?

Steves Cleenz
28-08-08, 12:35 PM
i'm after fitting some of these things to my boot - where can i get some that will fit?
IIRC there are 2 part numbers for the boots springs, one with the spoiler and one without, as in your pics your sig shows your car with out a spoiler and your avatar shows it with a spoiler, so if yours came with out a spoiler then it would have the thinner springs in anyway not being able to pop the boot correctly because of the spoiler

john180
28-08-08, 12:39 PM
yes i added the spoiler after and i want to put some of the struts on i just want to know where i can get some that will fit and work properly - i had paid for some new "spoiler" springs from RSM - they never arrived but thats another story

mattie007
29-08-08, 11:36 AM
Funny this thread has resurfaced.
My f@@king boot slammed on my head after football practice last night and I ended up in A+E for 5 hours having my head stitched up. :judge:
Lost quite alot of blood and its left a 2 inch gash on my head. Quite painful and off work for a few days.

Is it just a case of putting the torsion bar in a different position?

Steves Cleenz
29-08-08, 01:25 PM
yes, have a look at my earlier post with the photo of what to do

john180
29-08-08, 01:39 PM
ive moved my bars but its made no difference. its prob because like you say i have the thinner springs coz my car came with out the spoiler originally