PDA

View Full Version : exhaust / induction again sorry but its relevant

midcuk
22-04-08, 09:15 AM
right im ordering a new exhaust induction kit in the next week
do i go for the tried and tested xpower duplex and itg recommended route and spend a fortune or do i go another route

my other choices are blueflame or powerflow for the exhaust and not sure about the filter

i like the idea of the itg because people state it makes a difference from right low down the rev range where as others you only feel the benefit higher up (and i keep revs low most of the time as im a slow driver) so the itg would be beneficial where as it costs a fortune compared to others
dont want to do a diy inner wing because im a tool and would screw it up so would prefer off the shelf so to speak, been looking at bmc, viper kn filters all a lot cheaper than itg also powertec filters get a good review have any of you got one (they are cheap as well on potn)
basically want low down useable torque and the itg seems to supply this but at a price

recommendations please ?

ps im going to put it on finance so a small difference in price isnt going to be that much of a factor rather have the most suitable.

chris

Boot Hill Bandit
22-04-08, 10:37 AM
I have a Piper exhaust on my ZS............check out the gallery for pics.

What are you after dude?? Are you after out and out performance or sounds/looks??

If you are after performance I would go with the XPower system with the inwardly rolled tailpipe.......if you are after looks you cannot beat the Janspeed Duplex System..........sound wise........my Piper makes as much noise as any other system.......including some peoples cars who have no cat on.

Induction............well it's your choice........generally they all give similar performance but varying prices.........if you want a quiet system go with an ITG or BMC.........other than that it is the open cone route.

Judging by what I have learnt.........if you end up going the whole hog like I am doing..........and you want to do trackdays.........if you have Janspeed manis fitted, a decat, Piper cat back system and an open cone induction system there is a good chance you will be hovering on or above a lot of the circuits 100db limit......

Lots to think about.........tell us a little more about what you want from the car/set ups and we can advise ;)

Jim

midcuk
22-04-08, 10:47 AM
thanks for the comprehensive reply jim , and its a bit of everything i want really (im greedy) really looks/sound/performance want a generally good all rounder if you know what i mean.
not out for excessive speed or sound just the best one if you know what i mean

Boot Hill Bandit
22-04-08, 10:59 AM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q270/boothillbandit/BANDITSTRACKDAYCAR6.jpg

Well thats my Piper with the outwardly rolled exhaust......apparently according to some forum members on here..........you can hear The Red Devil coming before you see her :slap:

It seems to be true........by the time I turn up to most peoples houses who know me........I don't have to get up off my fat arse to knock on the door........they already heard me turn up and are waiting :smart:

Thats with Janspeed exhaust manifolds and Piper cat back system. I have yet to install the decat pipe and induction system :look: so it will be very loud I assume once that is done.

If you are near to me (Rainham, Kent) then you are more than welcome to come around and have a listen to her at idle then a few drive bys somewhere as well as getting in and we can go along a motorway see what you think of cabin noise.......bearing in mind my ZS180 is an early mk1 so it actually does have sound deadening in it unlike the later cars which have loads missing.......

I strongly suggest you meet up with a forum member and have a listen to their set ups........and if you ask nicely they may take you out for a listen up and down the rev ranges at various speeds including Mach3 :devil:

Jim

stamford
22-04-08, 12:08 PM
Will you fitting any of this yourself or getting someone to do it for you? This may have a bearing on what you go for. If going for a duplex system then remember you will need a nearside heatshield and big balls to cut the other aperture!

Induction will also require some fettling to fit properly, even the ITG kit needs patience if leaving the bumper on. A BMC CDA installation will vary on fitting if using the OE TB hose or going samco style route and pipes etc.

Horses for courses....................as Jim has said, where are you based? and then see who is local to help you decide etc.

midcuk
22-04-08, 12:36 PM
based in newcastle mate and not sure probably myself but ideally get a pro to do it if i can find one, most places round here wont fit if they dont sell it.

hence why i want a full kit if im doing it myself , less messing around.

if i dont get the itg i can get a set of tyres as well so hence my confusion

Boot Hill Bandit
22-04-08, 12:49 PM
based in newcastle mate and not sure probably myself but ideally get a pro to do it if i can find one, most places round here wont fit if they dont sell it.

hence why i want a full kit if im doing it myself , less messing around.

if i dont get the itg i can get a set of tyres as well so hence my confusion

Newcastle eh!! Hmmm..........if you work for DFDS seaways any chance of a free one way ticket back to Norway?? I promise I won't come back :)

You have many options.........EMS Ltd on here in the site traders section may be of help to source you a complete exhaust system ready to fit but it will be the XPower/Janspeed ones and not Piper I'd imagine.

If you was near me........I'd help you I honestly would.

Jim

midcuk
22-04-08, 01:14 PM
cheers jim your thoughts appreciated

and unfortunatley i dont

Boot Hill Bandit
22-04-08, 01:25 PM
no worries......

shame that..........you lot would never see me again I guarantee it.......

Jim

Dave ZS-X
22-04-08, 04:27 PM
if your only doing cat back exhaust then it doesnt matter which system you go for as none give any measurable gain on their own ,you need de cat /sport cat and or manifolds to release any power .

Maxxed_Ross
22-04-08, 04:57 PM
As above, a cat back won't really make much difference no matter what you go for

So if it's sounds and looks you are after, duplex all the way!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/maxxed_ross/ZS/DSC00228.jpg

midcuk
24-04-08, 09:48 AM
just orderd a blueflame cat back hopefully will be here by the weekend :)
still not sure on the induction route though keep reading about heat soak and getting worried about not getting a enclosed filter.

thanks for the advice and sorry i dont work for dfds although it is quite close to me for the odd jaunt :)

chris

Boot Hill Bandit
24-04-08, 10:03 AM
thanks for the advice and sorry i dont work for dfds although it is quite close to me for the odd jaunt :)

chris

Not to worry.........with the way things are at the moment I am tempted to go back to Norway soon anyway.

Jim

midcuk
24-04-08, 10:06 AM
sorry to hear that jim mate

arwilson80
24-04-08, 10:39 AM
still not sure on the induction route though keep reading about heat soak

If you are looking at 'open cone' induction then yes that is true... however if you go down the 'closed' route then you shouldn't have a problem.

midcuk
24-04-08, 02:34 PM
If you are looking at 'open cone' induction then yes that is true... however if you go down the 'closed' route then you shouldn't have a problem.

probably a stoopid question but does it matter how you route the induction to the wing, i.e is it best to have the least connectors / pipes possible to get there or does it not matter.
how far can you route the induction and would it cause adverse effects if routed a long way
hope you can see where im coming from because i am crap at explaining things.

chris

arwilson80
24-04-08, 02:48 PM
The less bends and the shorter the route the better. :)

If you must have bends then smooth & shallow curves are best.

stamford
24-04-08, 07:22 PM
Have a read of the 180 induction thread in the engine section, some useless information in there :laugh:

midcuk
25-04-08, 07:27 AM
Have a read of the 180 induction thread in the engine section, some useless information in there :laugh:

been through them about a hundered times mate and still cant decide tee hee seems totally open the peeps with bmc say its best likewise the ones with open cone or itg say the same.

arwilson80
25-04-08, 08:24 AM
Simplified... :)

Sound - Open Cone
Performance increase (slight) - BMC / ITG

...and if i'm wrong someone will correct me. :laugh:

midcuk
01-05-08, 08:48 AM
ok due to a weird set of circumstances my decision was made for me (namely powerflow quoting £700+ , and being messed about with the blueflame and finding parts companies doing hp) ive now gone for the xpower duplex and itg maxogen so doing the standard option so to speak, cant wait for them to arrive now :) just need to find somewhere to fit the exhaust for me now :(