PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know about wheel spacing?

rbull51
24-04-08, 03:04 PM
We have got a standard rover 600 and are trying to fit rover 800 turbo 17inch alloys to it. But...there is a lot of wheel wobble. Does anybody know what size spacing i need to stop this problem??? Original wheel size was 15inch, 195 width tyres with an offset of 6j. New wheel size is 17inch, 225 width tyre and an offset of 7j. How do i measure what spacing i require... Any help will be much apreciated.

(please dont move this thread to wheel and brake section)

RalphG
24-04-08, 05:19 PM
The offset is not 6J or 7J - this is the width of the wheel, i.e 6" or 7". The J refers the the profile of the rim, which determines the type of tyre that can be fitted. Nearly all rims these days are J type.

For a Rover 600 the offset can be 35 to 42 and for the Rover 800 the offset can be 38 to 45. The other thing to consider is the bore (i.e. the hole in the middle of the wheel), if this is different it can allow the wheel to be bolted on off centre. Luckily, the 600 & 800 use the same bore of 64.1. The two cars also use the same PCD (4x114). So, in conclusion, the wheels are basically interchangeable between the cars.

stamford
24-04-08, 07:13 PM
Have you spun each wheel off the ground to see it any of them has a runout? You may have one that has been kerbed and therefore induces vibration at speed.