PDA

View Full Version : What speed to drive normally on a 60MPH road

Jem
26-04-08, 10:33 AM
On the average road where its 60MPH,What do you drive at? i never go 60 unless im overtaking, I normally drive at 50

Craig
26-04-08, 10:47 AM
At the moment, circumstances dictate that I drive at 56mph lol. Its just before pay day, Im skint and its getting hard to get petrol up here. It does make one hell of a difference to my normal driving.

Andyf
26-04-08, 10:56 AM
I normally do 60, I get very annoyed with people who do 40 through the nationals then carry on at 40 in a 30, especially when they tailgate me through the 30 then disappear in the national only to come steaming up behind me in the next 30 limit.

al_roverMG
26-04-08, 11:13 AM
As long as there is not a reason not to (ie traffic, road conditions, weather etc) then you should always drive AT OR VERY CLOSE TO the speed limit. 50 in a 60 would fail you on your driving test and that is the minimum standard.

I totally agree Andy. It really winds me up when people dither about in a national speed limit only to carry on at above the speed limit in the 30mph zone. It is just as dangerous to dither as it is to travel at an unsuitable speed in my opinion and should carry the same punishment. I would happily see a driver doing more than 10% below the speed limit with no excuse handed 3 points and a fine.

Jem
26-04-08, 11:27 AM
50 in a 60 would not even give you a minor fault in a driving test,I go 50 becuase i use less diesel there is no need to do 60 well unless you are a boy racer

Oyea i might also say the reason my driving is better than 7years ago is now i have a 7year old in my car

Im very responsible when it comes to children in the car

40 or 45 in a 60 would be a big fault on a test,50 in a 60 would not

Thats just stupid driving 40-45 in a 60

stamford
26-04-08, 12:54 PM
There is a stretch of country winding road not far from my place on the way to work that goes from 30 to 60, every morning I am behind vans and cars still doing 35, it is so annoying. However when they get to the straight bits it drops to 40 and they end up doing just over 40! Some drivers have no faith in their ability on windy roads and dither.

How many people here have been behind a car whose driver is well within the speed limit and driver/car limits only to keep putting their brakes on when there is a clear road ahead?

Andyf
26-04-08, 01:39 PM
Very true Stamford, or they brake whenever a car comes the other way. People seem to 'comfort brake' in the middle of corners as well which annoys me.

mgjkd
26-04-08, 01:59 PM
:yoji: i find it so hard to stick to 60

stamford
26-04-08, 02:07 PM
I was behind one such car on the way home from work, nothing in front of it, braking all the time, it was so annoying and 20 mph inside the limit. Some drivers should not be on the road. Slow hesitant drivers are just as bad as those going too fast, sometimes you can get caught out by someone when driving too slow if you yourself are not fully focused. Those doing 40 on a motorway spring to mind, wouldn't be so bad if they were towing something!

Come to think of it, whenever I see a Police patrol car on the motorway, doing around 68mph ;) you always see a plethora of brake lights :laugh: people panic when they see them!

weagie
26-04-08, 03:51 PM
I usually sit just bellow the limit for the type of road traffic and weather permitting but what gets me is folk that pull out onto the road and don't even try to get up to speed and cause others to slow down, especially on the motorway or bypass. Old codgers are a pain too. Sitting at 30 or 40 on a 60 road with a cue of traffic behind them, that's when someone loses their patience and does something seriously dodgy, I've seen a few close ones on the back roads at my bit. As for the police on the motorway, i just pass them as long as I'm not breaking the limit. Must admit I'm super cautious when I've got my three year old in the car as i don't trust other drivers and she is more important than anything. Unfortunately i still get folk that drive way to close even though there's a small person sticker on the back window, guess that doesn't mean anything.

Craig
26-04-08, 04:14 PM
When Iv got the kids in the car im very cautious of idiots on the road. The extreme spoiler definately attracts idiots.

JIMZS180
26-04-08, 06:47 PM
I agree I tend to be more cautious when family aboard but have also been trying to conserve the fuel recently,still managing to get filled up ok so far!!!

weagie
26-04-08, 07:59 PM
doesnt help when the local stations wack up the prices, the robbing bstards should be fined for taking advantage.

arwilson80
26-04-08, 09:28 PM
Not 60....

dave87
27-04-08, 01:08 AM
craig if things get tough come up here to killie we are swimming in fuel here honest. Also any Morrisons garages dont get there fuel from grangemouth so they shouldn't have much in the way of supply issues as long as they are getting a few extras to compensate for all the panic buying

dj_russell
27-04-08, 02:30 AM
on a good day ill say 60 and tbh even when driving fast in a 30 ill do 30 maybe 35 at a push.motorways and nice roads im not even going to mention my speeds as ill get slated. most of the time now thoiugh i sit at the speed klimit and thats not because i want to its because the police are always out looking for it thats a few browny points for them.

dj_russell
27-04-08, 02:32 AM
doesnt help when the local stations wack up the prices, the robbing bstards should be fined for taking advantage.

thats where people are making a commen mistake dont forget gordons getting 90p(or near that)from your litre of petro. ik love the way he shifts the blame to oil refinarys.

talkingcars
27-04-08, 07:02 AM
See my post on fuel ecconomy (http://themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3887) about saving fuel.

I get really annoyed with people who drive constantly below the speed limit with no obvious reason to do so. If it is safe to do so one should drive to the speed limit!

Don't forget that most speedos read upto 10% faster than your actually speed, my MGZS180 is no excemption (tested against GPS) so at an indicated 50mph one is actually only doing 45mph, 25% below the speed limit!

bnthchix
27-04-08, 09:59 AM
ive just read through a few things that people have put down on here and in my opinion, speed limits are put there for a reason, i see that yes it can be dangerous to drive at 50 in a 60 zone, the speed limit is there for a reason, obviously if there is a reason you need to go slow like road works ect ect then fine, but doing it just cos it saves fuel or you feel its safer is not good, so yes ill repeat myself again, the speed limit is there for a reason, if everyone was to go at the speed limit and not dither about then the roads would be a little more safe, but going over the speed limit is wrong, people who do that cos they think they look good or whatever shouldnt be driving full stop. anyway thats what i think.

sarah
27-04-08, 10:04 AM
:yoji: i find it so hard to stick to 60

why?

ive just read through a few things that people have put down on here and in my opinion, speed limits are put there for a reason, i see that yes it can be dangerous to drive at 50 in a 60 zone, the speed limit is there for a reason, obviously if there is a reason you need to go slow like road works ect ect then fine, but doing it just cos it saves fuel or you feel its safer is not good, so yes ill repeat myself again, the speed limit is there for a reason, if everyone was to go at the speed limit and not dither about then the roads would be a little more safe, but going over the speed limit is wrong, people who do that cos they think they look good or whatever shouldnt be driving full stop. anyway thats what i think.

:clap2:
you're on fire today!

but i do agree, ive been in car with Andy and theres times we've been behind folk who keep breaking, or peeps who do over 60. they just have no consideration.

Jem
27-04-08, 10:04 AM
Dont rely on gps to tell you your speed lol

So if you are driving 60 and someone infront of you is driving 60 what happens if they brake hard enough to mess up well you will go into them

Your driving could be A+++ but think of the other idots on the road

I was driving just under 30 went past a car that was parked on the sie of the road what does he do?? Well he pulls out without even looking drives in the side of me but he doesn't stop he just keeps driving which makes my car a write off

He doesn't car what he did he didn't seem to care that i had my kid in the back,i jumped out my car so fast i checked on my daughter then i went for the driver,why didn't her care well it was his company car and he owns the company

I allways drive slowly through the twon and this is what can happen at slow speeds

As the police told me a long long time ago speed limits are for a reason,But you dont need to go as fast as it saying

grimmy
27-04-08, 10:05 AM
50 in a 60 would not even give you a minor fault in a driving test,I go 50 becuase i use less diesel there is no need to do 60 well unless you are a boy racer

Oyea i might also say the reason my driving is better than 7years ago is now i have a 7year old in my car

Im very responsible when it comes to children in the car

40 or 45 in a 60 would be a big fault on a test,50 in a 60 would not

Thats just stupid driving 40-45 in a 60

My wife failed a driving test by driving at 50 in a 60 and she was told by the examiner she was over cautious and not making proper progress due to her speed.

sarah
27-04-08, 10:07 AM
but isnt it the right thing though, to be cautious? i mean you have to be these days with the amount of k***s on the road.

Jem
27-04-08, 10:10 AM
Driving tests can be a funny thing you can fail one time do the same thing the next time and you could pass,Its all down to who you have

When im driving i think of saftey and what idots are on the road

But then again driving tests have changed since i passed

Also if you talk to the police they will tell you how many people think its ok to drive fast and how many people who will have a crash because they follow the speed limit

Remember the police know what they are talking about when it comes to driving as they have to do very advance driving courses

Andyf
27-04-08, 11:23 AM
A lot of people drive too fast for the conditions, I don't understand people on the motorway in fog who put their fog lights on then continue at 70mph. If you have your fogs on you know visibility is seriously reduced so why continue at 70mph?!
People blame everybody else for their bad driving and I see it time after time interviewing people for careless driving. One person said the ONLY way the accident could have been avoided was if they hadn't had to pick their child up from school. It had nothing to do with following the car in front too closely!

bnthchix
27-04-08, 12:13 PM
you will only go into them if you are too close, not because you are both doing the speed limit, you have to keep a safe distance, and doing that dont mean that you have to trundle along at 50. yes its right to be cautious BUT being too cautious can be dangerous as well as going too fast or too slow, going at 60 or 30 or VERY VERY close to it, is the best way to be on the roads and like i said before many of times, the speed limit is there for a reason, and if you dont go as fast as it says I.E....if its 60 and you are doing just a couple below, then that can be fine, but if its ment to be 60 and you are going 50 you will get pulled over by the police and questioned ect ect, like i said before, if everyone did 60 in a 60 zone and 30 in a 30 ect ect then the roads would be a bit more safe and everyone would know where they stand on the road. people who think its ok to go hairing down the road make me so mad. its just totally wrong, same with going too slow, its just damn right dangerous.

sarah
27-04-08, 12:20 PM
you will only go into them if you are too close, not because you are both doing the speed limit, you have to keep a safe distance, and doing that dont mean that you have to trundle along at 50. yes its right to be cautious BUT being too cautious can be dangerous as well as going too fast or too slow, going at 60 or 30 or VERY VERY close to it, is the best way to be on the roads and like i said before many of times, the speed limit is there for a reason, and if you dont go as fast as it says I.E....if its 60 and you are doing just a couple below, then that can be fine, but if its ment to be 60 and you are going 50 you will get pulled over by the police and questioned ect ect, like i said before, if everyone did 60 in a 60 zone and 30 in a 30 ect ect then the roads would be a bit more safe and everyone would know where they stand on the road. people who think its ok to go hairing down the road make me so mad. its just totally wrong, same with going too slow, its just damn right dangerous.

:w00t: go you!

you know it makes me more mad when i read on other forums that they've crashed their car due to speeding, and then they brag about it! its nothing to brag about, and they post up ***** like how fast can you go in your zed etc, its not about that, people like that should be banned because one day, someone will lose their life due to a T**t not sticking to the speed limits, just like how my uncle died through a **** not being careful! :(

:shoot2:

bnthchix
27-04-08, 01:33 PM
:w00t: go you!

you know it makes me more mad when i read on other forums that they've crashed their car due to speeding, and then they brag about it! its nothing to brag about, and they post up ***** like how fast can you go in your zed etc, its not about that, people like that should be banned because one day, someone will lose their life due to a T**t not sticking to the speed limits, just like how my uncle died through a **** not being careful! :(

:shoot2:

you go girl lol

i totally agree with you, makes me mad as well when i hear people bragging how fast they can go ect ect.....and yeah like you said someone will lose their life one day, i reckon if you are caught speeding you should be banned there and then, i reckon that will make people stop and think, my mate was killed cos the driver was going way too fast and jumped a red light. the thing is, how many lifes lost will it take to make people realise???
and again, its dangerous to go too slow.

Jem
27-04-08, 03:28 PM
if its ment to be 60 and you are going 50 you will get pulled over by the police and questioned ect ect, .

Dont be silly like i said ive been going 50 since i passed my test and thats how i learnt,he wasn't a crap person to learn with he was and still is a advanced driver.

Ive been driving for a bit 14years and not once has the police pulled me over for doing 50,they had pulled me over for other things but not that,and they never will

50 is a safe speed, below is just stuipd and over 60 is just silly unless its on a motorway

you will only go into them if you are too close, not because you are both doing the speed limit, .

Thats not really correct of course there is going to be a big difference of what speed you are going,you dont be have to be close to hit the car infront or even behind you

For those who thinks its ok to do 60 go to a skid patch land have a couple of goes then ask them to put the real life situation obstacles out

Its not all to do with stopping distance

If you still think 60 is ok then go to the police and ask them to show you their training R2 book

Im not saying you shouldn't go 60 all the time,but if you are going 60 and you need to over take then what speed will you be doing???

talkingcars
27-04-08, 04:15 PM
Dont rely on gps to tell you your speed lol

So if you are driving 60 and someone infront of you is driving 60 what happens if they brake hard enough to mess up well you will go into them

?

Not if you are driving properly!

Always leave sufficant gap between you and the car in front so that you can stop if you need to.

Jem
27-04-08, 04:27 PM
?

Not if you are driving properly!

Always leave sufficant gap between you and the car in front so that you can stop if you need to.

Oyea you are right about the gap between the two cars, but things doesn't allways happen smoothly

Nothing to do with this but:

If i see a animal on the road i will not move to get out of the way, i use to but not any more,someone my parents knew did that and they caused a accident and the driver and wife died from that,and it wasn't no animal all it was was a smallish black bag,i cant remember the full story

talkingcars
27-04-08, 04:35 PM
Driving tests can be a funny thing you can fail one time do the same thing the next time and you could pass,Its all down to who you have

When I was a driving instructor I sat in on a few tests, the things pupils did that they never would on a lesson were unreal.

The examiner has to judge how a person behaves, their attitude ec

I watched one test, an experienced driver from Canada (he was also an airline pilot), a traffic light changed to amber just as he approched, without hesitation he nipped through. Without being there as an observer but hearing the story after, would you have passed the driver?

Remember the police know what they are talking about when it comes to driving as they have to do very advance driving courses

To get my driving instructor quilification I had to pass the highest driving test available to the public, 1 hour in town, on country roads and motorways. 3 minor mistakes and you fail. I have also taken police driving courses and have 2 vocational driving quilifications.

Please bear that in mind when you read the following.

SPEED DOESN'T KILL, MIS-USE OF SPEED DOES!

Mis-use of speed can be equally going to slow for the conditions as going too fast. It has been known for my car to be driven at speeds well above the speed limit but I have only had 1 driving accident 6 months after I passed my test-27 years ago. And I do a few miles, over 1000 in the last week.

Finally, how much blame can be attributed to the driver not observing what the stationary car was doing in this situation

I was driving just under 30 went past a car that was parked on the sie of the road what does he do?? Well he pulls out without even looking drives in the side of me but he doesn't stop he just keeps driving which makes my car a write off

If you had been doing just over 30 you may have been passed him when he pulled out.

sarah
27-04-08, 04:46 PM
but if he was doing over 30 (depending on what type of road) he would of been pulled surely?

Andyf
27-04-08, 05:35 PM
I think what Talkingcars meant is demonstrated in this road safety video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ohary9UEnbg&feature=related

Maxfly
27-04-08, 05:55 PM
as far as i was taught when doing my instructors exams (passed first two and failed the final one) if it is safe and the conditions allow you drive to the speed limit, i was told as part of the marking process, if on a main road you are driving well below the speed limit in fine conditions you would get a minor mark against you and obviously more if you continued doing this during the test and 50mph was used as an example of being too slow for fine conditions :)

Somertonian
27-04-08, 06:02 PM
When safe to do so, I drive at the speed limit - but take care not to exceed by more than 10%. Most forces allow the Association of Chief Police Officers' (ACPO (http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:P99vKDwDBksJ:www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/speed_enforcement_guidelines_web_v7_foi.doc+acpo+g uideline+prosecute&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk)) recommended 10% + 1mph over posted limit and prosecute at 10% + 2mph.

Driving slower causes accidents. Partly because people get frustrated and overtake (which is always less safe than not needing to).

S

les.millar
27-04-08, 07:06 PM
options on a sunday

1/ wash & clean car to high standard

2/ watch the wife go round asda like a cow meanders round a field
i think ive seen this quote before
perhaps maxfly could enlighten me

arwilson80
27-04-08, 09:42 PM
My wife failed a driving test by driving at 50 in a 60 and she was told by the examiner she was over cautious and not making proper progress due to her speed.

So did my little sis.... <5mph below the speed limit and she failed.

dj_russell
28-04-08, 01:22 AM
im gobsmacked at the amount of people in here that havent broken the speed limit either this site has the most advanced drivers in the uk or too many people are telling porkies. ill openly admit ive broken the limit i bet even andy with the red mg has in his own time im expecting you to say no because your in a very high job that comes with responsibility so if you admitted it then it wouldnt be very good at all, but it gos unsaid. i even know a copper who regularly gos past the limit in his own time unless hes in a 30 then he does obey the law himself.

bad driving kills aswell not speed. im 21 years old so what i say will go unlistened to as im one of the youngest so quite rightly i should be ignored loads of you are parents on here that probablky have kids in the same age group as me.

al_roverMG
28-04-08, 04:54 AM
DJ it is people telling porkies. Everyone without exception (and as an advanced driver, a MAC advanced driver and an HGV class 1 holder i think i am probably as well qualified as most short of the instructors on here) will have strayed over the speed limit by a mile an hour or 2 probably not even noticing.

Jem i hate to say it (as i looked into doing the whole instructor thing a couple of years ago but then got my present job) but the allowed guidelines on the driving test are 10% over the speed limit and 10%+2 below is a minor fault every time you do it without reason. get to more than 10% over or more than 20% under and it is major fault as it is seen as making inproper progress and is deemed to be dangerous.

As talking cars said the official line is you should make proper progress at the speed limit unless it is unsafe to do so. This just goes to prove why you should have to "revalidate" you licence every 5/10 years with a retest of sorts.

The standard of driving in this country is frankly appauling. The worst offenders are in the 35 years plus as they trump the "i have been driving for X years" which simply means i have developed many bad habits and my driving knowledge is well out of date. I mean how many here have bought the new highway code and made themselves aware of the new rules introduced?? How many could pass the new theory test?? I bet a fair few "experianced" drivers would be shocked. My dad was when he tried my HGV one (allowing for him not knowing the HGV questions) and he went out and bought the highay code to brush up on.

I am the first to admit i have bad habbits while driving. One hand on the wheel driving on the motorway and also making "progress" where it is safe to do so. But i know they are my faults. Just seems that a few people cannot accept that years of experiance doesn't always make for a good driver.

Oh and as an aside i can totally reccomend the MAC course (motoring awareness course). It was offered free with the civic type R when i had one and is mostly ex police instructors. Definatly an eye opener to hazzards that you never thought about and where best to place the car on the road to see them in best time. That and the skid pan course are a must in my opinion.

Maxxed_Ross
28-04-08, 05:15 AM
I totally agree with the above. In my experience, all be it a limited one, older drivers are just as dangerous as those just out of the test centre - if not more dangerous. My mother for one is such a bad driver I refuse to get in the car with her unless I have no other option. She never uses any mirrors, cant look over her shoulder because she has a bad neck and rarely goes over 35 on national limit roads. IMO that is more dangerous.

I have always said that you should have to re-sit a test of sorts after a period of time to prove you can still drive. Just look at how often old coffin dodgers are on the news and in the papers for doing something crazy because of a senior moment? As Jeremy Clarkson once put it - "when was the last time you heard of a 17 year old driving the wrong way down the motorway?"

Jem
28-04-08, 07:27 AM
im gobsmacked at the amount of people in here that havent broken the speed limit either this site has the most advanced drivers in the uk or too many people are telling porkies. .

Of course people have broke the speed limit i even have done in the past,I even got a speeding ticket so that is why i now never break the speed limit,yes i might goe over 60 but its only just over 60 but i hardly ever do it

70 limit i never ever ever go over 70 and thats a truth i sit on 70,there is no need to lie

Ok then i go 50 to save my fuel and that is how i learnt when i was driving i know things have changed when it comes to tests,But i will keep my speed because i feel 50 would not cause any other drivers problems and those that might overtake could be breaking the limit

As for the police: All i can say is around here and where ever ive driven they have never pulled me over doing 50

Im going pass my local police station today so im going to ask them what they think

arwilson80
28-04-08, 08:45 AM
...and the skid pan course are a must in my opinion.

I think that that should be included as well. Even if only a 30 minute session. However it's easy to correct when you see it coming, it's when you don't that the problem arises.

Andyf
28-04-08, 09:38 AM
DJ, of course I would be lying to say I never speed however I rarely speed and in a posted limit I virtually never speed. However while at work I sometimes travel at over twice the speed limit (from 30 to 70 limits) and in order to do this I have completed a total of 8 weeks driving training (2 weeks to drive a panda car (1.7 turbo diesel Astra) followed by 1 week response driving (blues and twos) in a panda then 4 weeks advanced driving course in high performance cars (Vectra 3.2, Mondeo ST220 and a Saab 95) followed by 1 week of pursuit management learning TPAC). Add to that the 2 1/2 years experience I now have of driving traffic cars operationally and 3 years driving pandas before that. I think on the odd occassion I go 35 in a 30 or 80 on the motorway I do so more safely than your average driver. It is true that speed on it's own doesn't kill but people do not perceive hazards correctly and are then travelling to fast to react to them.
I think back to how I used to drive when I passed my test and it is amazing I didn't have an accident. I also thought I was a resonable driver until I did my course and then saw how poor my observation and hazard perception were.

Maxfly
28-04-08, 05:45 PM
options on a sunday

can't remember where i seen it or who originally posted it now, but i do know i liked it and even though i don't have a wife i had tae have it :D

dj_russell
28-04-08, 05:53 PM
id love to take a few advanced driving courses as i love driving. how hard was it becomming a traffic officer was it years of hard training? thats my offput as i really need the cash and couldnt afford to not get paid , but as a whole i really really love driving ever since i passed ive done all nighters driving round untill i feel tired lol. some may say its sad to go cruising about but i dont drink, dont take drugs and dont smoke. i cant sleep either untill ive had a quick drive or a lap through town and back.

talkingcars
28-04-08, 08:03 PM
To becaome a traffic cop you have to join the police force as a booby, and unless it has changed, do your 2 years on the beat before applying to go into traffic where they train you on the job.

Alternativly you can join ROSPA or the Institute Of Advanced Motorists and do their training courses. Driving at the higher levels of awearness they teach you is so much more rewarding than driving at 50 mph in a 60 limit in case there is a speed camera.

les.millar
28-04-08, 08:11 PM
:deadhorse:Originally Posted by les.millar
options on a sunday

can't remember where i seen it or who originally posted it now, but i do know i liked it and even though i don't have a wife i had tae have it

i posted it originally.
give me your address and ill send you an invoice

al_roverMG
28-04-08, 08:18 PM
Andy while i agree with what you said there it isn't exclusive to Police drivers and there are both good and bad police drivers. I have taken very similar qualification, granted at a civvy level, and i would also say that most HGV/PSV drivers of a decent standard have a much more accute awareness of hazzards than most car drivers. I only drove an HGv for a very short period (to tie me over between leaving my sea going job and starting at the Coastguard) but it was alarming the number of car drivers who simply dont have a clue what room an HGV needs or indeed simply wouldn't give way when they clearly had to.

The trouble is as i said before many drivers rest on the fact the passed the MINIMUM standard and dont then keep themselves up to date. I would never dream of thinking i dont need to keep my knowledge and standards up to date but i know the vast majority do.

dj_russell
28-04-08, 08:38 PM
i listen to my dad lol he said you never stop learning nomatter how many years youve been on the road. hes a bloody good driver aswell he always ceased to amaze me as a kid wehen i was young in his 405 mi16 and rover 800 vitese turbo hatch and maiestro turbo etc, hes never took an advanced drivers course or anything but with 30 years or a bit less of doing about a 1000k a week with his job , ive always been taught drive like everyone else is goiing to make a mistake on the road.

Andyf
29-04-08, 11:44 AM
Al, you are right it is not exclusive to police drivers, I have nothing but respect for HGV drivers and often try to use them when doing 'rolling blocks' on the motorway as they have the sense to know what is going on and don't try and overtake you!
There are good and bad police drivers just as there as good and bad HGV drivers however I bet the bad drivers are still better than your average car driver.
DJ Russell to get on traffic you have to do 2 years probation on area before applying then if you pass the written application you have to pass a board in front of a Sergeant an Inspector and someone from personnel then if you pass that you have to pass the 5 week driving course.

Maxfly
29-04-08, 05:30 PM
:deadhorse:Originally Posted by les.millar
options on a sunday

can't remember where i seen it or who originally posted it now, but i do know i liked it and even though i don't have a wife i had tae have it

i posted it originally.
give me your address and ill send you an invoice

ah ha i did wonder lol

unfortunately i have no fixed abode for you to send the bill to ;)

Dan1971
29-04-08, 06:24 PM
I had to laugh the other day ... comedian commenting on the "keep 2 chevrons between you and the next vehicle" markers. He said, "Nearly bloody killed myself trying to keep up with a porsche ! "

Speeding is a massive issue which we won't resolve, but what a great forum topic, but already there are some camps being identified. There's the "Limits are there for a reason and the laws the law" camp ; The "I've been affected by speeding motorists" camp ; The "I'm a trained driver so I'm better than thow" camp ; but gladly, as far as I've seen anyway, no-one stepping up for the "I drive like a tw4t at every opportunity "camp.

Driving courses are great, I've not done any civvy ones, but the ones the police do, in my force anyway, are tip-top. (Of course I would say that). In all, I've done 6 weeks of car and personnel carrier driving training and 3 weeks motorcycle training to do traffic and surveillance. They do make you far more aware of whats going on. Trouble is that I see it a lot like doing a firearms course. You can be trained how to drive safely and make good progress, but when the red mist comes down and your mate is getting a hiding, it's goes to pot. In a pursuit, you see the bandit, and lose sight sometimes of the carnage being caused and that is where as a supervisor I have to make unpopular decisions sometimes, and step in to call off the chase. It's all getting too dangerous and fast these days. For me the other point about police drivers, is that , in my force area, we don't do refreshers or re-training. This means that someone may have become an advanced driver 15-20 yrs ago, being assessed in a rear wheel drive, Rover Sd1 or Sierra, who are now punting around in 3.0l BMW's, T5's, or Subaru's. Don't get that really TBH.

Anyway .... me in a 60 .... road is clear and I can stop within the distance I can see to be clear .... fast.

dave87
29-04-08, 07:24 PM
there is one thing i learnt quite soon after i passed my test. Raw speed is not exciting(on the road anyway) its the acceleration that gives you the buzz. So you can still have a ball in your car but stay within the law.

Maxxed_Ross
29-04-08, 08:53 PM
try saying that again at 140+ :whistle::smart:

dave87
29-04-08, 09:10 PM
hence the "on the road" clause in my arguement ;)

Maxxed_Ross
29-04-08, 10:15 PM
well you're hardly going to do it on water are you :bounce:

dave87
29-04-08, 11:27 PM
am sure jem clarkson had a go once though

Andyf
30-04-08, 05:10 PM
We do refresher drives in our force Dan (or should that be Sir?!) every 3 years although this is quite a new thing. My old Sergeant who retired late last year last did a driving course in a Rover SD1!

Mission
30-04-08, 08:03 PM
Generally if the road & conditions permit it- i tend to drive at or very near to the limit for that road- I personally find it very annoying when your on a stretch of road where you can easily do the speed limit without risk n you get folks who dither n won't put there foot down!

ok i accept that on some roads marked with national speed limit signs- it would be/is foolish to even think about doing 60mph, but i don't see why you can't if your on a good bit o road-with good visibility- in good weather! That to me would be as daft as someone who goes on the m/way and never goes above 50/60mph!

Jem
30-04-08, 09:21 PM
Some people may want to save on fuel so thats why they may go 50

I was told by my instructor and the police just because it tells you you can it doesn't mean you have to

al_roverMG
01-05-08, 03:23 PM
Then Jem please accept what the majority (who are correct rather than your instructor and the police you have spoken to who are wrong) say that you should, unless there is something that makes it unsafe, travel at or very near to the speed limit.

As i said the rule of thumb is 10%. so on a national speed limit single carriage way you should be traveling at around 55 MINIMUM and not more than 66 MAXIMUM. you will actually find that the at 56mph in the ZSTD you will actually get 2mpg more than if you sit at 50. this is because your sat almost on the peak torque figure and so the engine is at the optimum revs for economy so i am afraid your "i do it for economy" argument is a little flawed.

The biggest fuel save of all though is observation. if you drive at a steady speed making proper use of the lanes on a multi lane carriage way (ie in the left lane unless overtaking) pulling out in reasonable time to overtake and judge it correctly you will get much better economy than those who come up behind someone to overtake and then check the mirrors. As an HGV driver u spend 1/2 your time looking in the mirrors and checking your blind spots, 4/10 looking forward and 1/10 checking your speed. If most car drivers did this then half hold ups we have today because someone has had to panic brake for a dozy driver which then brings the lane to a stop further back.

Jem
01-05-08, 03:33 PM
so i am afraid your "i do it for economy" argument is a little flawed.

Ok i see what you mean but in my defence the cars ive driven before like my last car a rover as soon as you hit 60 you could see the needle go down.

This is the first diesel car ive had and first car thats had real power

Like i said when i joined here ive no idea about cars LOL

I did my skid patch years ago same time as i did a advance course so things maye of changed

arwilson80
01-05-08, 03:38 PM
If most car drivers did this then half hold ups we have today because someone has had to panic brake for a dozy driver which then brings the lane to a stop further back.

The 'accordian effect'... Hateful! I generally 'read' the 2 (or 3) cars ahead to try and avoid it. Especially relevant on the M'way here as often the traffic slows from 70+ to 30 for no reason what-so-ever! :rant:

I have to say i rarely look at my speedo but i do watch mirrors, verges (for anything... people, animals, etc), telegraph poles (generally follow the curves of the road), and i can almost drive my 55 miles or so daily commute without needing to use my brakes (in general the only time i need to use them is for road ends, roundabouts, etc).

Andyf
01-05-08, 04:25 PM
Ahh the old telegraph pole trick, have you done the police driving course?! Next you'll be telling us about micro-climates, limit point analysis and breaking hazards down in to thirds :smile1:

arwilson80
01-05-08, 09:53 PM
Nope... Just a 'plain old driver'. :)