PDA

View Full Version : rear bumper

john180
08-05-08, 01:15 PM
HI guys!

i have noticed the rear bumper on my zs saloon doesnt seem to fit very well. One side seems to flap about a bit which doesnt seem good. also the gap between the panels seems huge and gets bigger towards the back. are yours the same and if not is there anything i can do to improve it??

John

Zippy Saloon
08-05-08, 01:29 PM
Gap on my Mk I is ok but I know what you mean about "flappiness" (Ked Dodd song?)
Cured mine by making up some struts to go between bottom of bumper and back of arch (theres alrady a suitable hole there), someone did it over on XPF using flat bar, I had some ally tube knocking about so used that - old shower curtain rail iirc.
Off back to work in a mo but can put some pics up later if needed.

john180
08-05-08, 01:30 PM
some pics would be great

thanks!

Andyf
08-05-08, 01:48 PM
Mine is the same plus the front bumper seems to be sagging on the passenger side

john180
08-05-08, 02:11 PM
so they are just a crap fit then??? nothing i can do with it??

Andyf
08-05-08, 02:38 PM
I think someone on another forum did a 'how to' on making new brackets but it looked well above my technical ability!

shroonie29
08-05-08, 02:40 PM
To get the rear drivers side level on mine I used a little packing where the bumper rests under the light cluster

Shroon

Zippy Saloon
08-05-08, 05:44 PM
Tubing I used is approx 15mm diam, each piece needs to be about 25cm long with bends / flat sections as in diag. The bends on both mine and some that I made for mates hatch were 19cm apart.
I used some plated nuts, bolts and washers from B&Q for attaching.
Bit hard to describe but you need to end up with two struts that are opposites to each other (mirror images, if you see what I mean)

Not sure if how the bodykit is attached on Mk II may effect where you can dril / fix on underside of bumper - just use the above dimensions as a guide.

HTH, Gary

R8NMG
09-05-08, 01:27 PM
This is a very common problem on the mk2. There is a 'How To' as mentioned in the other forum and someone has designed an adjustable clamp to prevent future sagging.

Mine is so sag that the clips are exposed badly and can see the surface corrosion on it.

arwilson80
09-05-08, 01:40 PM
Mine is so sag that the clips are exposed badly and can see the surface corrosion on it.

Same here... :(

Alan.F
09-05-08, 07:50 PM
Its not an MG/Rover without bumper sag :)

mattie007
09-05-08, 07:58 PM
My front bumper was a good cm down but have since cured this by adjusting the height of the cross member. The rear isn't as bad and Im not going to mess with it until it drops a bit more.

Yours looks great though Shroon, any more pics on how you did that?

john180
12-05-08, 12:27 PM
any chance we can get this how to on here??? i aint a member of many other forums.