PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt Change

LozMachine
18-05-08, 06:36 PM
Hi, i went to see the guy i bought my car off yesterday (an ex mg/rover independant) for a quote for new cambelts, and he came back with £350 + vat.
Would you guys think thats reasonable or is it worth while shopping around?
Its not desperate at the moment as the mileage is not that high but the car is 6 years old this year.
Open to advice

Thanks in advance

mrt_04
18-05-08, 06:40 PM
Very good quote, but does that price include tensioners etc :mama:

LozMachine
18-05-08, 07:00 PM
Very good quote, but does that price include tensioners etc :mama:

I thought that, and when he gave me the quote i asked him if that was for all 4 belts and he replied that there were only 3 and that it was a cambelt kit , and yes i looked a right *** :laugh:
I am assuming a cambelt kit included the tensioner but would have to double check. Am just a bit wary cos i have heard some garages do a "cambelt change" but only change the front belt, so i feel reassured that he corrected me on the number of belts needed i think.

Cheers

mrt_04
18-05-08, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I am no expert..however they do come as a kit. I just paid £250 for cambelt kit for my Suki Vitara. But yeah, make sure about the tensioners, they normally come in at £100+ extra.

Have a word with Ralph @ EMS, may give you a rough guide then. :clap2:

LozMachine
18-05-08, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I am no expert..however they do come as a kit. I just paid £250 for cambelt kit for my Suki Vitara. But yeah, make sure about the tensioners, they normally come in at £100+ extra.

Have a word with Ralph @ EMS, may give you a rough guide then. :clap2:

Cheers bud will make sure about the tensioners tomorrow, looking good though ,sounds a good price by all accounts and the guy seems a decent bloke too:D

mrt_04
18-05-08, 07:39 PM
Sounds good. I am lucky, where I moved too in deepest darkest East Sussex, the local garage is excellent, infact I have a pint with the owner, who loves all types of cars and collects motorbikes as well. So if you trust & like the customer service try it it out. :gathering:

stamford
18-05-08, 07:56 PM
I think this should include new bolts as well!

KevG
18-05-08, 07:58 PM
As far as I'm aware the ZS doesn't have a kit for cambelts, all the parts are separate

You will need:-

Main Belt x 1
Rear belt x 2
Tensioner x 1
Water pump x 1 (if needed)
various bolts x 4 or 6
Rollers x 2

The last time I ask for prices for the parts alone thery were £280 and Labour was 7 hours at £47 p/h + Vat = £715

stamford
18-05-08, 08:03 PM
A few people I know have used Lates (http://www.lates600.com/index.html) who comes highly recommended.

mrt_04
18-05-08, 08:08 PM
Quite a good site that Mick for comparisions etc. Be interesting if anyone has used them !!! :ike:

stamford
18-05-08, 08:19 PM
Lates is over on XPF and .org, so I know him. I will be using him to do my belts this summer, unless someone comes up with a better price ;)

mrt_04
18-05-08, 08:21 PM
They Midlands based Mick, didnt go that deep into their site???

stamford
18-05-08, 08:31 PM
Coventry Mike.

mrt_04
18-05-08, 08:32 PM
Ahhhhh, never been sent there!!!!! :no:

markyzs180
18-05-08, 08:44 PM
Lates is a star and I'd highly recommend him!! He did my stat just after I bought the zs, squeezed me in at short notice and a great price. They do most of the work outside under gazebos (the workshop is 'under construction') but don't let this put you off, they've got all the tools etc and have got the cambelt changes on the kv6 down to a fine art and can have them done in under four hours!! Don't just take my word for it though....

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=40574&highlight=lates

mrt_04
18-05-08, 08:49 PM
Think I will keep them in mind, although mine only has 44k on clock as yet, but go to see recommended garages. :mml:

RalphG
19-05-08, 01:49 PM
The water pump on the KV6 very rarely need replacing (unlike on the K4 engine). Not sure what the bolts and rollers are that are listed above. In addition to the tensioner, the idler pulley should be replaced.

The price for replacing the cam belts on the KV6 engine should be somewhere around £650 to £700 and takes around 7 hours to complete. I would be suspicious of anyone quoting significantly less that this price.