PDA

View Full Version : Fuel prices

mrt_04
19-05-08, 01:05 PM
My commute is approx round trip of 140miles (not very green I know, but b*ll*x). 3day week 12hour shifts...or meant to be!!!!, till T5 came along!!!
Anyway, I have noticed over the last few months while using M23 / M25, quite alot of the big engined vehicles ie. Range Rovers, Jags etc, all driving slower & not as aggresively.......obviously the pinch as hit them too. A few odd exceptions..mostly Bemmers!!!

I have too, keeping the revs below 3k & a steady 65-70mph, makes quite an impact on my mpg.

Are we offically in recession???? :shutup2:

arwilson80
19-05-08, 01:18 PM
I'd say we are in everything but the name (at this point).

Maxxed_Ross
19-05-08, 01:31 PM
it certainly looks like it, the government might finally have gone too far with tax

stamford
19-05-08, 10:02 PM
One thing I noticed today going to and from work, the roads were quieter on my 70 mile round trip and not many going that fast either. The rising fuel costs are making an effect as no-one has the luxury of flooring it all the time, or running a nice car all the time, unless we have a company car or fuel card. It will make a few people revise their work situation, me?, I think I may have to say 'working from home' for a day a week to save a few quid!

It hurts to see the ZS sitting on the drive 5 days a week, but would hurt me more if I sold it.

mrt_04
19-05-08, 10:06 PM
We are cutting back on fuel cards now Mick. But yeah you are right, running late tonight expected to be hammered on the M25 hitting the Chertsey area about 18:00, sailed through.......very nice :-D

stamford
19-05-08, 10:08 PM
Think I'll call it a night, my body clock is still awol!

mrt_04
19-05-08, 10:09 PM
See ya soon, good night :party:

Maxxed_Ross
20-05-08, 05:44 AM
You'll still see me bombing about the place... I pull it out the ground so I think I deserve to have some fun with it :cool2:

Mat C
20-05-08, 06:29 AM
It's going to get far, far worse i'm afraid ! Expect unleaded to hit £1.50 per liter by September. What with that plus the ridiculously 100% inflated road tax for the ZS180 we could be looking at some very shiny scrap-heap piles :(

stamford
20-05-08, 07:28 AM
Canada is starting to look good again! Might be time to check my points tally to ensure they haven't upped the qualification level. I can see the UK being overrun by immigrants with the likes of us leaving due to the way the government runs the country.

It's not looking very good, they say the house prices have levelled and predict no further falls, something has got to give. The days of commuting to work seem to be not as attractive as they once were.

al_roverMG
20-05-08, 07:53 AM
See i have no choice to commute to work. I physically cannot afford to move closer to work and both Portland and Solent Coastguard are equadistant from my home with nothing closer. Still is better than the 400 mile round trip to Dover and back every week that i was doing. I certainly dont drive any slower though than i always have.

As for house prices leveling off i wouldn't believe a word of it. I appreciate many cannot afford a drop in prices but without a drop of 20-30% (at least hear in the south) first time buyers like myself simply cannot afford to step onto the property market and so there is no property market.

Personally on the fuel costs i think it is about time the governement did 2 things to ease the burden. Firstly put a hold on the fuel duty until the prices drop to a reasonable rate (as we are unlikely to get a drop lets face it) and secondly cap the profit which the oil giants can make or even introduce a 100% tax on everything above that figure for them. If of course the latter was introduced then there would be scope for a reduction in the duty.

I personally feel that everyday neccesities like food, water, fuel and clothing should have a cap on profits for the companies involved. People shouldn't make a fast buck from the hardship of all.