PDA

View Full Version : ZS Build Quality

rozzr
01-06-08, 05:31 PM
Hi there guys,

My ZR was recently crashed and i'm expecting will be a write off. As such i am looking at new cars and a mk2 110 (with full 180 kit) is really top of my list.

I am just wondering how the build quality of the ZS's is... obviously i'm not expecting anything german... but a step up from the unstoppable rattles of the ZR would be nice!

Cheers for any help.

Rory

sduk
01-06-08, 05:38 PM
hi mate, how you doin? as you know, i changed from a ZR to a ZS and its alot better. the rattles and bumps in my ZR was one of the factors of me changing.

the ZS is by no means an audi but it is ALOT better. i have the 110 aswell and its nippier than the ZR, alot more torquier. I have the 52mm throttle body on it and filter in the wing.

they are nice cars and alot roomier, plus a huuuuuuuuuuge boot makes them a better option imo :)

rozzr
01-06-08, 05:48 PM
alrite sammy, i'm not bad cheers pal, yourself?

yeah, due to insurance and the way fuel is going i'd be looking at the 1.6 model, but it will have to have the 180 kit - so pretty much one like yours would be ideal (though not sure if saloon or hatch would be better... do love the big saloon spoiler though!)

thats good to know about build quality as i'm starting to get a bit sick of all the rattles haha, also interesting that the 110 zs is much nicer than the zr 105, i suppose that extra torque really makes a difference!

cheers for the help anyway buddy, will just have to wait and see if my zr is written off before i can go and look at any i guess, but already got one lined up which i really like the look of!

rory

dave87
01-06-08, 05:54 PM
oh more 110 owners :D

Saloon wins all day long aswell btw

rozzr
01-06-08, 06:54 PM
oh more 110 owners :D

Saloon wins all day long aswell btw

i do prefer the saloon, its just i'm not sure if it might be abit too big for me as i am 19! haha, i do love how they look though!

markyzs180
01-06-08, 09:06 PM
i do prefer the saloon, its just i'm not sure if it might be abit too big for me as i am 19! haha, i do love how they look though!

they're only 6 inches longer than the hatch!!

rozzr
01-06-08, 09:19 PM
they're only 6 inches longer than the hatch!!

oh really?? look a lot bigger... but they do have that awesome spoiler, which i think i would always be wanting the whole time if i had a hatch!

still got a lovely black 1.6 mk2 saloon lined up, just waiting the phone call from insurance to confirm its a write off!!

markyzs180
01-06-08, 09:27 PM
oh really?? look a lot bigger... but they do have that awesome spoiler, which i think i would always be wanting the whole time if i had a hatch!

still got a lovely black 1.6 mk2 saloon lined up, just waiting the phone call from insurance to confirm its a write off!!

Saloon - 4540mm Hatch - 4386mm

Yep, spoiler sure looks sweet.....

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii228/marky123450/zs180arty2-1.jpg

Mat C
01-06-08, 09:29 PM
Check out THIS ZS110 (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=4231) before you commit to anything ! It has the best interior i've seen and is in immaculate condition throughout. :)

Maxxed_Ross
01-06-08, 09:50 PM
I found the mk2 ZS to be much higher quality than my old mk2 ZR. Everything seemed better put together and it feels more solid

almost everyone who has been in both says that the ZS is a much nicer car inside

DeMoNPauL
01-06-08, 10:05 PM
I've found my mk2 isn't as good build quality as my mk1. You can feel the MG Rover cut backs in a mk2. I had the door cards off yesterday and there isn't any sound proofing at all in the doors.

XPCobra
01-06-08, 10:08 PM
a lot better than the zr, but still not perfect

rozzr
01-06-08, 10:22 PM
thanks for the comments guys, definately sounds like a good option for me... just need to see if mines written off now!

Check out THIS ZS110 (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=4231) before you commit to anything ! It has the best interior i've seen and is in immaculate condition throughout. :)

that is the one i have lined up ;)

Mat C
02-06-08, 06:21 AM
Nice one, that's a top loooking motor. Hope you both manage to get the deal you are after ! :)

arwilson80
02-06-08, 08:32 AM
Definately a saloon Rory...! :)

As for ZR / ZS comparisons and rattles - The ZS is a lot better. Mine has only the one so far behind the door card but i think it's to to with the metal rod that links up to the lock.

Alan.F
02-06-08, 08:55 AM
I am a mk1 hatch owner and love it but have to say if i was in the market for a new ZS it would have to be the Saloon i have heard that the mk2 hatch has a few electrical gremlins (dont know if its true or not)

Zippy Saloon
02-06-08, 10:44 AM
Well worth spending a bit of time putting dynamat in doors & roof - really helps with noise at motorway speeds and makes the doors feel much more solid when shutting.
If any left over then you can put some inside front & rear wings too.

Maxfly
02-06-08, 07:14 PM
i dont find my mk11 180 that noisy to be honest after my zr 120 anyway and you may be the same, certainly it rides a lot more smoothly over bumps etc too:)

dave87
02-06-08, 09:40 PM
yeh i have to say my 110 isn't that noisy either really unless you really gun it hard

Mat C
02-06-08, 09:51 PM
My car sounds like the Norse God of Thunder but then, i have made it deliberatly that way ! :D

stamford
02-06-08, 10:01 PM
As most of you will know the mk1's do have a better build quality than the mk2's all due to MGR's 'Project Drive' costcutting exercise! Quite why the ZS is better than the ZR is beyond me, as both cars are of the same age and share alot of components. I put that down to the Longbridge working week and how close the car was to a shift change and a Friday knocking off time!

Anyway, it's the rattles and shakes that give the car a personality ;)