PDA

View Full Version : My cars going on its holiday

Craig
04-06-08, 06:43 AM
My cars going away for 2 days. Its getting the belts done. I tried loads of garages, most of them wouldn't even get back to me with a quote. So its off to the ex MGR dealer. Im rather glad they are doing it, at least with them being Xpart dealers and ex MGR they have undertaken the work before.

I should get it back in time for Falkirk Cruise tomorow hopefully, So in the meantime, I will be driving my dads Freelander. He borrowed my car last week and chipped a wheel and tyre, so I may do some Offroading to even things up :)

stamford
04-06-08, 07:47 AM
I bet he was popular for that! I have my belts to do the later part of this year, it has passed the 50k mark this week.

SharronB
04-06-08, 08:30 AM
:hmmm: Payback! :shifty: lol

arwilson80
04-06-08, 08:45 AM
I'll need mine done shortly and i am not looking forward to it. The prices the (ex) MGR folks charge here are ridiculous, and i have no leave left (unbooked) until next year. :blush:

How hard would it be for a mechanic to do that's not done them before? I know it's a long shot.

stamford
04-06-08, 10:09 AM
I'll need mine done shortly and i am not looking forward to it. The prices the (ex) MGR folks charge here are ridiculous, and i have no leave left (unbooked) until next year. :blush:

How hard would it be for a mechanic to do that's not done them before? I know it's a long shot.

I personally wouldn't give my car to someone who is unfamiliar with the procedure, it may end in tears if done incorrectly or not completely! How would you know if they had done the whole job?

Craig
04-06-08, 10:41 AM
I personally wouldn't give my car to someone who is unfamiliar with the procedure, it may end in tears if done incorrectly or not completely! How would you know if they had done the whole job?

Thats my thinking too. I wouldn't trust someone who doesnt understand how much work is involved.

XPCobra
04-06-08, 09:21 PM
hi craig how much is it costing you? its going to cost me £554.34, plus another £20 or so quid for coolant (doing the work myself)

thats with buying the timing kit, pulley holder and 190 cam setting plates ( probs wont need these)

will be 3 belts 1 tentioner,1 idler pulley and 1 water pump (all genuine MG/R)

Only good thing about doing i myself is that i know the job will be done properly.

Expensive car the zs 180 is to run and maintain :(

XPCobra
04-06-08, 09:26 PM

i've looked a it, and its SUCH a pain, cannot be done wihout special tools tbh, and put it this way when i'm doing mine the car will probably be off the road for 3-4 days, and i'll be borrowing a firends to get to work and back those days.

Still 10 times easier than repairing the damage when the belt/tentioners go, which the engine looks easier to come out when taking the cylinder heads off on the kv6 zs

KevG
05-06-08, 12:44 PM
The parts are okay to buy, it is just the time it takes to do the job, 7.5hrs to do the job by the book