PDA

View Full Version : nearing 50k

john180
04-06-08, 08:58 AM
Well i bought my car at the end of november last year with 34k on the clock and its nearing 50k now.....:whistle::whistle: i cant stop driving the bloody thing. its a MK2 on an 04 plate.

What would be the wise thing to do now??

Sell up to get some money back before its worth nothing and buy another. Keep it and maintain it? Keep and ti and get a run around??

How long can i expect the engine to last before getting problems? I know the belts etc need doing at 90k but my dad is a mechanic so not a big problem.

I'm favouring the get a run around option but what do you guys think?????

SharronB
04-06-08, 09:47 AM
I would definatly keep it and get a runaround, cos you know you would miss it and as you have a mechanic in the family its not gonna cost you buckets of cash ! :D

stamford
04-06-08, 10:07 AM
Keep it, you'll only regret selling it otherwise! In the grand scheme of things it is worth more to you than its current market value. Maintain it, it will look after you. Having a second car is a good idea if you are worrying about the rising fuel costs, but take into consideration the actual running costs of a second car, purchase price, insurance, tax, MOT, servicing and wear parts.

Mine has passed 50k, I used to worry about putting miles on it, then thought why? There are many classics out there that have earth orbit mileages and still continue to run without fault.

For the record I have a second car for work, due to high running costs, but I may change that stance if I can get a fuel expense subsidy ;)

john180
04-06-08, 10:45 AM
Well if i get a run around i would only have the zs on the road for certain times of the year when the weather is ok etc etc.

I'm certainly leaning towards a run around now. i9ve been offered a 1ltr daihatsu hi jet van with windows and seats in the back for less than £800 with44k on the clock so i thought that might be a good buy...

stamford
04-06-08, 12:20 PM
:hmmm: a HiJet van, you'll be tearing your hair out after a couple of days! Believe me, downsizing that far and then seeing your 180 sitting there will not help! You'll be saying, 'nah, I'll take the zed today' and that will be a common occurrance!

However, if you have a high pain threshold and find it easy to jump in and out of a 180 to a milkfloat, good for you, I know I couldn't ;)

john180
04-06-08, 01:29 PM
yep! i see your point fella!

however - road tax is £120 per year, insurance is virtually none existant for this van and petrol well..... if i put £25 in i could get anout 250 miles out of it. I put £60 in the zed and im lucky to get 300 miles.

I've always wanted a van really just to run about in so i'm thinking this is the way to go... keep the zs for special days.

SimonMGZS
04-06-08, 06:12 PM
keep the zs and get yourself a round around.

i have got a round around for which i use for travelling to and from work everyday and i use the mg at weekends when i take it to car shows and other events

and in the wintertime it gets stored away from all the grit and other crap that is on the road.

Zippy Saloon
04-06-08, 07:14 PM
If you had the Hijet all the kids would be knocking on the windows and asking for a 99 or a Mivvi every time you stopped.
Plus when you hit the horn button you'd probably get a tortured rendition of Greensleeves.

XPCobra
04-06-08, 10:44 PM
i'd keep it, and the Kv6 needs its belts changing 90,000 miles or 6 years, earlier if you do a lot of stop start journeys, rather than motorways journeys, and i'd keep it and just use it as an everyday car rather than have it sitting around (im sure they have problems with the shaft on the gearbox that the clutch release bearing slides up and down on*) it is known the hydlaulics are over streched on the 180 models aswell

* ussually only on 180 models as the clutch is uprated from normal pg1 transmissions,it is known the hydlaulics are over streched on the 180 models aswell, again fine on other models, and again down to an uprated clutch

mrt_04
05-06-08, 01:17 AM
I have a Suzuki Vitara for messing around in, as I use my ZS for long commute. Best of both worlds with silly 4x4 & marvellous 180!!!!!!!! :pimp: