PDA

View Full Version : 1st MOT...

arwilson80
23-06-08, 09:55 PM
...was tonight and the ZS passed with 'flying colours'. :) :hooray: :yoji:

mattie007
23-06-08, 10:32 PM
Does the MOT have to be done by a certain date each year? Ive forgotten about mine and think its a week over?!

stamford
24-06-08, 07:23 AM
As expected then Alan! :)

Mattie, these days there is no benefit to getting it done early unless you know 100% that it will pass. The problem is, if you put your car in early for its MOT and it fails, then the live system is updated as such and your remaining days of current MOT will be void. Best to leave it as late as possible, or on the day in question.

arwilson80
24-06-08, 09:53 AM
Yeah... has to be done on/by the cars 4th 'birthday', and every year thereafter.

If it's a week over then you effectively have no insurance.

stamford
24-06-08, 10:10 AM
Kathy's jeep went in this morning, passed again, *phew* at least I only have my girl's car to do now and not two!

arwilson80
24-06-08, 10:18 AM
Nice one...

The only thing i had to do (in a panic - 10 mins before the test) was change a number plate bulb. Total cost of all the 'fixing' / preperation was <£30. :)

dvid
24-06-08, 10:29 AM
I got a letter the other day saying that my ZS needed its first MOT in July, but it was registered in March 06, this cant be right can it? I thought it was 3 years?

sarah
24-06-08, 10:59 AM
nice one Alan.

the TT failed the MOT last weekend, the back passenger wheel is bald so he was told to get it sorted ready for tomorrow, but instead he has gone a bought a new set of wheels for the show season, which i.m.o is better because rather then just buying 1 wheel whats to say the others wont get that way?

arwilson80
24-06-08, 11:11 AM
I got a letter the other day saying that my ZS needed its first MOT in July, but it was registered in March 06, this cant be right can it? I thought it was 3 years?

Don't think it can be TBH. March '09 if it's 3 years for you folks. I know it's 4 for us 'Islanders'. ;)

dvid
24-06-08, 11:15 AM
Thats what I thought, it was a letter from the garage so I think I will check!

arwilson80
24-06-08, 11:27 AM
Are you sure they were looking it for MOT, it wasn't just it's yearly service... even thought it's 3 months late?

But i'm just thinking... is it 3 years from date or registration, or is it 3 from date of manafacture if the garage had it sitting for a while)?

When your vehicle needs testing
If a vehicle is registered with no prior use on the road, the MOT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a vehicle registered ‘from new’ on 1 April 2004 will require its MOT no later than 1 April 2007.

If a vehicle is used prior to registration, as would be the case with an import, the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a vehicle manufactured at any time in 2004 will require an MOT no later than 31 December 2007. There is no grace period given after these dates.
taken from here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022112)

dvid
24-06-08, 11:41 AM
Just rung and checked, car was registered 21stJuly 06, they made a balls up! :D

Southern Storm
24-06-08, 05:36 PM
The wifes MG ZR passed this morning too. Only advisories on tyres but to be fair they are the original Mitchelin Pilots its had on since new being an 02 plate.

As expected then Alan! :)

Mattie, these days there is no benefit to getting it done early unless you know 100% that it will pass. The problem is, if you put your car in early for its MOT and it fails, then the live system is updated as such and your remaining days of current MOT will be void. Best to leave it as late as possible, or on the day in question.

Not true mate. Was told this too but checked it out with VOSA and its an urban Myth thank goodness as my ZS failed its mot 2 weeks early. Checked on the VOSA site and it flags up that there was a recent failure but shows your MOT is still Valid. :)

stamford
24-06-08, 07:17 PM
Not true mate. Was told this too but checked it out with VOSA and its an urban Myth thank goodness as my ZS failed its mot 2 weeks early. Checked on the VOSA site and it flags up that there was a recent failure but shows your MOT is still Valid. :)

Interesting that, I was told by my local village garage that if it failed it would be instant regardless if it had a few days or couple of weeks still valid.

Southern Storm
25-06-08, 06:32 PM
Yeah our service manager was telling customers that too. Scary.