PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging the 180

wilky2008
03-07-08, 03:34 PM
hi all im new here!

just a quick question, i know this has probablys been answered loads of times but struggling to find a thread with the right info...

from a standard ZS 180, how much do use rekon it will cost to supercharge?

from standard to a finished supercharged car?

any advice would be great

anth

coopsman1
03-07-08, 03:38 PM
Budget about £1k-£2k realistically, I know that there was problems of the engines blowing sometimes

RSM - BANNED USER
03-07-08, 03:56 PM
2k is dreaming.

yes there were issues early on with the supercharged kv6, but these are now sorted.

The price for a supercharged zs is now 3.4k

Cheers

George

afcbadam
03-07-08, 03:57 PM
i have heard of people similar power gains by just chipping camming and putting a decent exhaust on.

coopsman1
03-07-08, 04:03 PM
2k is dreaming.

yes there were issues early on with the supercharged kv6, but these are now sorted.

Cheers

George

has it jumped that much now? Why on earth such a high jump.

stamford
03-07-08, 07:51 PM
has it jumped that much now? Why on earth such a high jump.

Jumped up! That is cheap! The last official price was circa £5k.

You won't get similar gains from chipping, cams and exhaust, you'd be lucky to break 220bhp tbh and that's being kind.

Supercharging is still seen as one of those risk areas on the KV6, so many failed in the early days that it put people off, those that are offering the systems are finding it hard to get a vested interest due to the bad press.

It needs a few customers out there to soak test them and prove reliability. Hopefully the Revivals team can develop this as well on their rallycross ZS.

afcbadam
03-07-08, 08:00 PM
you say you may get 220 bhp. there was a supercharged zs on here that only got to 230. i would call that similar

stamford
03-07-08, 08:20 PM
230 must have been wound down to keep it stress free, they should hit nearer 250/260 at a guess. I'm not qualified in that department, so don't quote me on that ;)

XPCobra
03-07-08, 08:24 PM
i think i'll just be selling the zs and spending another £3k on a faster car like an evo or scooby, makes sense lol!

Phate
03-07-08, 09:42 PM
Out of curiosity once you have done cams, exhaust etc and are running around 220 what kind of gains would a charger get? also what else can you do for better gains? :)

Maxxed_Ross
04-07-08, 08:18 AM
buy something Janpneese

RSM - BANNED USER
04-07-08, 11:39 AM
Well a well cammed up car makes 215bhp tops ! Thats with manifolds/cams/mapping/decat/zorst/induction.

Drews(roverdose) supercharged zs only made 215bhp for some reason.

Our supercharged cars we did all made well over 240bhp in zs guise.

The current charged zs`s are both over 250bhp.

There will be a few more RSM ones around shortly, along with a very special one.

George

chriszs180
04-07-08, 11:45 AM
um my st comes in at 225bhp standard and now with remap, full zorst, cais air fillter and soon do be quaffi lsd diff should be 270+ next intercooler and bigger turbo um 320+
still love the look of the zs but for tunning the st is by far easier.

afcbadam
04-07-08, 01:21 PM
i agree with a couple of the replys. why spend loads of money making a car as fast as one you can buy for the same money. its like the boy racers that spend thousands getting a 1.4 to 145 bhp like the k series vvc rover 200 when you can buy the same car with a 1.8 for less that the cost of the modifications

RSM - BANNED USER
04-07-08, 01:35 PM
Personal taste at the end of the day.

Skylines/scoobies cost the earth to tune but people still do.

Has anyone been fortunate enough to have a ride/drive a supercharged zs?

Let me say, its awesome.

George

stamford
04-07-08, 03:02 PM

Let me say, its awesome.

George

Never had the opportunity, but wouldn't say no..................driving that is, wouldn't be a passenger, it's not my thing ;)

Dave ZS-X
04-07-08, 04:52 PM
trouble with sc is warranty , 1 year is all you get for charger and engine and while i understand thats a normal warranty period for most things ,the charger needs more warranty to make worth it a gamble .It could well be fine for a year but what if it goes wrong after a year ...your left with a big bill for a new charger or a new engine or both.Thing is new problems always seem to surface ,the cars may have been running fine for yonks and you assume its all sorted then something else goes ,and you can never know even if it runs right for 2 years when the next issue will rear its ugly head ,that might be some totally new problem again.Its just relatively untested and as so you can not claim its reliable ,1 car for a couple of years does not prove reliability ,especially as during that time it had more than a few problems.

Dave

RSM - BANNED USER
04-07-08, 07:25 PM
hmm theres 2 cars..

2 years with no engine failures..... thats the most crucial and important issue.

the charger can always be exchanged if it went wrong.

All the engine issues occurred within weeks of charger being fitted, so 2 years is an achievement.

I think people need to stop giving this a negative responce and start looking forward.

George

Dave ZS-X
04-07-08, 09:19 PM
hmm theres 2 cars..

2 years with no engine failures..... thats the most crucial and important issue.

the charger can always be exchanged if it went wrong.

All the engine issues occurred within weeks of charger being fitted, so 2 years is an achievement.

I think people need to stop giving this a negative responce and start looking forward.

George

"2 years with no engine failures"
but still only on one car.

"chargers can be exchanged "

in theory ,we all know what sprintex are like when you want something,they are in australia and that distance seems to make them deaf to uk ears,just ask ross!

"all issues ocured within weeks of fitment"

thats untrue ,some failed after around 6k miles which some folk might not do in the warranty period,this was my problem with it.You can give back up for problems ,even cheap labour for fixes ,but still someone would have to pay for forged pistons etc if it went pop and thats big bucks the customer would have to stump up.

Its not a case of being negative ,its simply being realistic and honest .I would have had one ,you know how close i was to it ,so i want it to work but it needs people to be guinea pigs and thats the problem ,customers cant be guinea pigs imo.

Dave

RSM - BANNED USER
04-07-08, 09:33 PM
Well all the ones we fitted all went wrong within weeks ..

There will be more out there shortly, but in 2 years, the cars will probably be with different owners.

I wouldnt say the customers who are having the chargers are guinea pigs now, as im confident they will not go wrong.

The race spec one will be the eyeopener.

George

XPCobra
05-07-08, 02:19 AM
George you wouldn't mind posting up of what acctually gets done when the charger is fitted? as does the kv6 still run with its daft plenum chambers?

also the 2 cars that have had no problems, what abuse have they been given ( lets be honest, thats why people fit go faster parts)

Maxxed_Ross
05-07-08, 06:16 AM

Let me say, its awesome.

George

been in the Dreadnought ZT, that was scary quick :yikes:

RSM - BANNED USER
06-07-08, 08:28 PM
Well one car has been given absolute death, the other driven hard on road.

Both have survived for 2 years now.

The supercharged cars do not run the plastic inlet manifold. A complete new plenum is fitted to the engine which houses the charger.

George

KevG
06-07-08, 09:50 PM
As with any aftermarket product it is bound to fail within a period of time UNLESS it is fully tested, IMO these chargers are NOT, why did MGR only offer it on the Australian market on the MG ZT only?
Need I say more.

RSM - BANNED USER
06-07-08, 10:33 PM
Kev G. If your going to get involved in charger debate, then please research more thoroughly.

MGR Australia initially only fitted them to Zt`s because that was the only model selling in Australia.

Later when the MG ZS arrived there, they were then going to be fitted to them, a test ZS was done, however, it was done just as MGR went under.

The reason the Zt kv6 was charged, was because In Australia, they do not like underpowered cars, and the big sedans they have all have v8s and are auto.

The ZT V6 in Auto spec, is only 180bhp, and this was 80bhp behind the v8, which the Australians deemed lowsy anyway, which is why that also got supercharged.

The issues we had initially are resolved and im very confident the product is relaible.

Like i have posted previously, im not overly bothered if i dont sell another one, the ones that have been done are unique.

I have been approached by a very large company, and have been given the task of proving my kits can be reliable, and as such, i have been given the challenge of doing two 24 hour races in a supercharged zs.

Since the Kv6 is going back into production i can only imagine this company will be doing something with them.

Theres a taster of whats coming.

George
RSM

Phate
06-07-08, 10:51 PM
sounds really interesting dude :)

If you need any drivers for the 24hr races gimme a shout :smile2: ;)

More I read about this the more I want to charge my zed! Lol!! Its not even back on the road yet! :(

DeMoNPauL
07-07-08, 01:11 AM
sounds really interesting dude :)

If you need any drivers for the 24hr races gimme a shout :smile2: ;)

More I read about this the more I want to charge my zed! Lol!! Its not even back on the road yet! :(

Do you have any experience in driving powerful race cars?:no::)

Phate
07-07-08, 07:22 AM

Dont be so quick to jump to conclusions...but your right :(

But never been a better time to start though ;)

carmadbaker
07-07-08, 09:51 AM

i do :D can i do it instead? :P

carmadbaker
07-07-08, 09:55 AM

George

here here dude! just have a look on you-tube people.....(coinsidentally that SC ZS is for sale on pistonheads ;) :-P)
you can't take money with ya wen your dead....so enjoy it while you can, if that means fitting a HUGE hairdryer to your car....then i'm game :D

who's supplying them these days? who can fit them etc... im jus a low life electrician, MAJOR engine work scares me:)

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 10:01 AM
We are going to start supply from August once my rolling road is fitted.

That way I can be certain the job is done correctly from start to finish with before and after printouts.

George

carmadbaker
07-07-08, 10:05 AM
awesome dude! where bouts u located? because....my car is off the road for the moment anyway...so ideally....before christmas wouldn't be a bad time to have the bad boy cranked up!
i was contemplating mani's and air filter soon...however...if i decide to go down the SC route....will they be worthless? or will every little help?

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 10:44 AM
We are located in Stafford.

We would suggest you stick to the OE manifolds, as they havent caused issues with the charger, and the maps done for the supercharged application are for based around the std manifolds.

George

carmadbaker
07-07-08, 11:06 AM
okay then so the option "better safe than sorry" is noted! after charging the engine is there anything i should really keep my eye on? and sorry to be a pain....can u tell me the problems that were encountered and how u got around them? just to cure my curiosity thats all :) at a rough guess-timate (i won't hold you too it) how much to supply and fit? will the fact of "have as much time as u want" help towards cost?

Phate
07-07-08, 11:24 AM
Stop talking about it! :p I want it more and more! :smile2:

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 12:07 PM
Current cost is 3400 supplied and fitted.

Problems encountered before were engine failures, which occurred within weeks of fitting, and once this was sorted and the engines stayed running then we found issues with the chargers, which has now been rectified.

Message me for more info.

Cheers

George

Phate, you know you want one..lol

Phate
07-07-08, 12:14 PM
Phate, you know you want one..lol

You know I do you git! :p

carmadbaker
07-07-08, 02:05 PM
thanks RSM! great help :D do u recommend any other changes to the car that aren't included? for arguements sake....exhaust system?
wat if me and Phate come down together....group discount? :-P ha ha!! (we wish:( )

Phate
07-07-08, 05:46 PM
wat if me and Phate come down together....group discount? :-P ha ha!! (we wish:( )

He doesn't like me that much :p

KevG
07-07-08, 07:26 PM
Kev G. If your going to get involved in charger debate, then please research more thoroughly.

Your right I'm going to get involved!

And research if there is any, well YOU know of the research and as a result have on first hand had experience of when things go wrong with your cars and other peoples right?

The fact that only 3 or 4 cars are actually running in everyday guise is not really proven results in that they work perfectly is it, so therefore they aren't reliable if any manufacturer is worth they're salt, then they would test these chargers on the specific application until they are 101% reliable over many months/years and on many units/cars as possible.

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 07:42 PM
Hmm.. funny BBR wouldnt agree with you on that one.

You dont own a supercharged car, you have no insight whatsoever into whats involved with it so your not in a position to question me.

Im not bothered what you think, there are other applications which another company is currently looking at.

They appreciate what hard work ive put into the charger/kv6 and next year the chargers could become very popular in another guise.

So im not letting your unfounded comments deter me from continuing with the chargers.

George

KevG
07-07-08, 07:56 PM
Hmm.. funny BBR wouldnt agree with you on that one.

You dont own a supercharged car, you have no insight whatsoever into whats involved with it so your not in a position to question me.

Im not bothered what you think, there are other applications which another company is currently looking at.

They appreciate what hard work ive put into the charger/kv6 and next year the chargers could become very popular in another guise.

So im not letting your unfounded comments deter me from continuing with the chargers.

George

You can do what the hell you want, I don't care, I'm just interested in that you seem to be either thick or just plain stupid to continue with doing chargers that aren't reliable enough to warrant fitting to joe public's cars, as for unfounded comments well do you want to me to dig up the history of RSM/George MacMurdie?

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 08:35 PM
No not thick at all..

try sticking to forum rules !!! Dig up what you like mister I dont give a to55..

And the chargers are now reliable thank you very much.

Im sure I will have the last laugh next year when they are used in another car !!

Oh by the way, you should learn how to spell my name right if you are going to slate it..

G

Supercharged_Z
07-07-08, 08:48 PM
ho ho ho, what a funny thread, some good comments.

What mgr did is nor here or there, it was a project, after time they would of found the winning formula, much as i/Rsm have but there not here anymore, so whats the point in talking about it, it was 3 years ago

Lets face it, my car had its problems when it was first put together, but if you read the thread a lot of them were caused by me anyway.

now resolved and with the car doing the talking time and time again and results getting better what can be said?? unreliable? it was. fast? YES. Different YES. Cheap. Not really.

i go to pod and see skylines run 15 second quarters all the time, Evos arnt always great, yet i run 13.5 its taken time to get there, but thats devolpment for you.

can it be done again yes, now George knows what is what. everthing has been looked at again and again. lets face it hes the one who has got the power out of my car, and lets not forget how much

266bhp. with 229 bhp atw. thats neigh on 85bhp atw more than std, with a decat, filter and a supercharger on std boost, its 50 odd more bhp atw more than any 270 camed nasp car iv seen

for info my car is for sale too lol.

Its a good way to tune your car if you can see past some of the ***** people tend filter them with.

Ross

KevG
07-07-08, 08:48 PM
Can you explain www.georgemackmurdie.co.uk the site that got pulled, set up by a guy that you ripped off?

Oh, report me then.......!

Supercharged_Z
07-07-08, 08:55 PM
Can you explain www.georgemackmurdie.co.uk the site that got pulled, set up by a guy that you ripped off?

Oh, report me then.......!

As admin of this site i would of expected better than slating a member on a thread that isnt relavent to your above post.

isnt it about superchargering Zs's?

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 08:56 PM
yeah i can...

why do you think it got pulled?

I already have reported you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theyre coming..........

pmsl

G

KevG
07-07-08, 08:57 PM
As admin of this site i would of expected better than slating a member on a thread that isnt relavent to your above post.

isnt it about superchargering Zs's?

Ross, please keep quite, as for things you don't understand!

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 08:58 PM

Pot calling Kettle !!!

Supercharged_Z
07-07-08, 09:03 PM

theres nothing to understand apart from you have got personal with somebody tottaly of topic to what the thread is about, if anything do it via pm, thats the Admin way of doing things, not publicly.

YoungY
07-07-08, 09:15 PM
2k is dreaming.

Cheers

George

You'd be cheaper T-16'ing it!! :wacko:

KevG
07-07-08, 09:16 PM
lol @ youngy

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 09:17 PM
Why put a sherpa engine in your modern zed?

G

YoungY
07-07-08, 09:21 PM
lol @ youngy

Hey Kev! :D
Not seen you in ages matey! Hows things?

Sorry for the outburst, £3.4k is silly money tho!!!!!!
My mate Jamie will do a T-16 turbo conversion on a ZS for £500 with you supplying the parts! £1000 for a donor car and spent the remaining £1900 on some forged pistons, a T28 turbo, a front mount intercooler and a fuel cut defencer for the MEMS and with 16psi you'll be looking at the guts of 280bhp!! ;)

YoungY
07-07-08, 09:23 PM
Why put a sherpa engine in your modern zed?

G

Why not?? ;)

Supercharged_Z
07-07-08, 09:23 PM
You'd be cheaper T-16'ing it!! :wacko:

thats correct, but would it give the same power? same type of power? how old are the engines now. however good

its a good idea and in time i think people will go this route just because the engine is vercitile and has achieved a lot in the past, lets just hope you dont need any of the NLA seals and stuff

Ross

YoungY
07-07-08, 09:24 PM
thats correct, but would it give the same power? same type of power? how old are the engines now. however good

its a good idea and in time i think people will go this route just because the engine is vercitile and has achieved a lot in the past, lets just hope you dont need any of the NLA seals and stuff

Ross

Plus the fact its only £185 a year for road tax ;)

RSM - BANNED USER
07-07-08, 09:25 PM
Why ruin a zs? stick it in a 400.

G

stamford
07-07-08, 09:25 PM
Right I am closing this thread as it seems to be getting out of hand and I am tiring of this ****!

:hslocked: