PDA

View Full Version : Mot time... Failed!

ZS
07-07-08, 11:26 AM
Thats right folks, my ZS180 failed its MOT today, and here's why...

Right Hand Position Light out (New Bulb)
Left hand Headlight aimed to high (screwdriver in correct place sorted that)
Left CV Gator cracked... (£40 thats gonna cost!)

So car should be back on the road today with another years MOT...

arwilson80
07-07-08, 11:42 AM
At least they were all simple things...

BTW - what is the 'Right Hand Position Light'? - Indicator?

ZS
07-07-08, 11:59 AM
At least they were all simple things...

BTW - what is the 'Right Hand Position Light'? - Indicator?

No... it relates to either sidelight, either tail light or either numberplate lights.

So in this case I beleive it was a numberplate light... why they couldn't say "the numberplate light" I don't know...

stamford
07-07-08, 12:39 PM
£40 for a gaitor! Hell bells that alot of money! Is it special then?

I fitted two outer ones on my daughters pug, £11 each and that was the universal split ones, easy peasy!

arwilson80
07-07-08, 01:01 PM
So in this case I beleive it was a numberplate light... why they couldn't say "the numberplate light" I don't know...

Ah OK... I ended up running around like a lunatic to change the same one on my car 5 mins before the test. And guess what... They never even checked them!

ZS
07-07-08, 01:36 PM
£40 for a gaitor! Hell bells that alot of money! Is it special then?

I fitted two outer ones on my daughters pug, £11 each and that was the universal split ones, easy peasy!

Well it was £12 for the gator and £40 labour, but I get the car today... Or £12 for the gator, fit it myself and then need a retest at £40 but don't get the car ion the road again for a week or so...

stamford
07-07-08, 02:25 PM
Well it was £12 for the gator and £40 labour, but I get the car today... Or £12 for the gator, fit it myself and then need a retest at £40 but don't get the car ion the road again for a week or so...

That's a no-brainer then!

ZS
08-07-08, 08:50 AM
Got the car back yesterday afternoon...

List of Advisories...

Front Discs Scored on inside
O/S/R Calliper binding
N/S/R Disc less worn than O/S/R
N/S/R Wheel damaged (chipped\curbed)
Outer CV Joint Gator perished (the one they didn't change)
Windscreen chipped outside of Zone A
Centre Section of Exhaust corroded
N/S/F Tyre Wearing on outer edge

I think that was it... :)

stamford
08-07-08, 09:24 AM
That's a fair list to be done, guess I am a bit fortunate and not had any advisories. What mileage has it done Sam?

arwilson80
08-07-08, 09:36 AM
The CV gaitors seem to perish quite easily. There are early signs on mine when i was getting ready for MOT.

ZS
08-07-08, 11:22 AM
That's a fair list to be done, guess I am a bit fortunate and not had any advisories. What mileage has it done Sam?

Mileage is currently 64,000 :)

Regards the tyre wear, I can't see any reason for it, Tracking is spot on (according to two separate tyre places) so I guess it might be a suspension bush is weak... might replace the whole lot with polyurethane when I get the chance.

stamford
08-07-08, 12:57 PM
:hmmm: so I am 10k behind you then, guess I have a few things to look forward to, or I have been fortunate.............................*touches wood*

lewerty
08-07-08, 01:01 PM
my gator are on the way out and was adviced to get them both changed but still not got round to it, u got a part number? where did u get urs from

ZS
08-07-08, 01:06 PM
Stamford, Maybe I just drive my car harder than you drive yours :D:D

Lewerty, sorry no part numbers, mine were sourced from the garage that did the MOT... there are some on ebay though and As I understand it they are very common and not expensive :)

lewerty
08-07-08, 01:09 PM

Lewerty, sorry no part numbers, mine were sourced from the garage that did the MOT... there are some on ebay though and As I understand it they are very common and not expensive :)

cheers :)

stamford
08-07-08, 01:10 PM

Perhaps yes on the road, but when it gets a chance to be on track it is not spared at all!

ZS
09-07-08, 11:42 AM
Perhaps yes on the road, but when it gets a chance to be on track it is not spared at all!

Maybe its the fact mines an 03 plate and yours is a 52 plate?? Project Drive n all....

arwilson80
09-07-08, 11:52 AM
Mine is June 04, 58,000 miles so it could well be 'Project Drive'...

stamford
09-07-08, 12:19 PM
I was on the understanding that 'Project Drive' was on the face-lifted models, not the mk1's. What is your commission number Sam?

*edit*

Seems 'project drive' kicked in earlier than I thought, as far ago as July 2001, so most of us are affected in some way. Mine has the basic door cards and not with the carbon/grey inserts, don't knoe the full details of what was done. I can see a research project coming on! ;)