PDA

View Full Version : Just emailed my MP

talkingcars
10-07-08, 10:03 PM
Comments welcome

Hi

I have been following the debate about the new car tax plans by our current administration with some interest.

1) I have long believed, since I started driving in the 80's, that car tax or should I say Road Fund Licence, should be added to the cost of fuel rather than as a paper disc. My argument is that those who use the roads the most buy most fuel .

This has been furthered by the push to reducing polution, the harder one drives the more fuel one uses and the more polution one produces.

Listening to the media about the current high cost of fuel reveals that the puplic is generally using less fuel which confirms my thought that the best way to reduce polution is to discourage driving all together by making the cost of fuel greater, this affects people weekly rather than once a year.

Part of my work involves dealing with the fuel for my companies' fleet of 7 LGV lorries so I am painfully aware of the effects of rising fuel cost on our operating costs, if the Road Fund Licence was moved to being charged on fuel I am sure that a "rebate" could be arranged through the company tax system.

2) Because a car produces more CO2 on a given test cycle doesn't mean that it will be more poluting in everyday use. I have made at least 15 return trips from Horsham to Manchester in the last year, I use almost exactly the same ammount of fuel in my "highly poluting" 2.5L MG driving at normal speeds as I do making the same trip as I do in my wifes' "highly economic" 1.4L Rover 100. This is because the MG is driving at a far lower engine speed. If I drive aiming to be economic I can actually use less fuel in the MG than I could possibly use in the Rover. I have proved this.

3) The information used by the goverment is flawed, the EC defined test that was used from 2001 to determin CO2 output was changed in 2004 to give a more acurate result, however this means that many cars tested before this have a higher rating than they would have done on the new test, my own car tested in 2001 gave a reading of 227G K/M, however the new test would have given 204G K/M. Of course prior to this new way of bracketing tax bands this was only information to help buyers chose cars sensibly but now it is being used as taxation information and needs to be corrected.

Many thanks
James Davidson

Feel free to use any of the above.

grimmy
10-07-08, 10:41 PM
i done the same about 8 weeks ago and surprise surprise i have had no reply

sarah
11-07-08, 05:13 AM
i think you're wasting you're time, like they give a ***** anyways!

talkingcars
11-07-08, 05:53 AM
My MP is Tory, and a very good MP, if he sees a valid argument he will take it up.........
and at £400 it's worth a try.

sarah
11-07-08, 05:57 AM
well if thats the case i say good luck, this country need more people like you to speak up, ok maybe not everyone gets a reply back and sometimes i do say people wast their time, but its a free country (well not for long the way its going), so people are entitled to voice an opinion.

talkingcars
11-07-08, 05:48 PM
well if thats the case i say good luck, this country need more people like you to speak up, ok maybe not everyone gets a reply back and sometimes i do say people wast their time, but its a free country (well not for long the way its going), so people are entitled to voice an opinion.

Join me, email your MP :thumbsup:

arwilson80
11-07-08, 09:56 PM
Let us know what happens... I did the petition on the 'Downing St' website but that went nowhere. Just got a response recognizing my concern.

ian zs180
11-07-08, 11:08 PM
maybe we need to take a lesson from the french on this and try direct action i think it is the only way they will listen

talkingcars
12-08-14, 08:25 PM
So who owns a pre March 2006 180?

Lukeus101
12-08-14, 08:36 PM
Me :D

MG ZS STE
12-08-14, 08:58 PM
And probably 99% of ZS180 owners too!

Mark S
12-08-14, 09:12 PM
and we all pay c280 pa in road tax, as for taxing those who do more miles and abolishing road tax, don't we all pay enough in duty on fuel anyway, perhaps the answer is to look at the peasant scum who breed kids and live on welfare and benefit top ups before they look at those who do something other than drive their overweight chicken nugget eating kids to school each day in their 4x4/shagged out disco!

B8sy
12-08-14, 09:17 PM
Completely and utterly agree with Mark, I pay a tonne on taxes for this and that, why should it have to increase while we have so many benefit thieves!

daytona365
13-08-14, 06:25 AM
So who owns a pre March 2006 180?

ME...:thumbsup:

Skillen
13-08-14, 06:31 AM
Completely and utterly agree with Mark, I pay a tonne on taxes for this and that, why should it have to increase while we have so many benefit thieves!

There's more money in tax evaders than there is in benefit fraud.
Perhaps they need to look a bit closer to home.

petet16
13-08-14, 07:08 AM
There's more money in tax evaders than there is in benefit fraud.
Perhaps they need to look a bit closer to home.

Quite so, especially in view of the fact that Cameron's old man made his fortune advising the wealthy how to avoid paying UK tax on their bundle.

fastmike
13-08-14, 07:38 AM
maybe we need to take a lesson from the french on this and try direct action i think it is the only way they will listen

I agree , off with their heads the lot of 'em, corrupt liars