PDA

View Full Version : I absolutely love my car

Craig
31-07-08, 07:08 PM
What a difference a week makes :D

I finally got my car fixed. As per my other thread, it had been making an awful grinding noise for the last 6 weeks, since I had the timing belts done and also it was rattling from somewhere around the n/s rear wheel.

It was in the garage yesterday, they informed me that the engine seemed to have shifted and was fouling, causing the noise. I did notice that the engine was sitting more towards the o/s turret than it had been before.

So today, armed with my shiny new trolley jack and axle stands, I jacked her up. I loosened off the o/sengine mount and inserted the scissor jack between the front pannel and the mount. I moved it back to where It was before.

Result, absolutely no noise whatsoever. I also fixed the rattle, which tuned out to be dodgy shims on the rear pads.

I had thought the worse and expected to be shelling out a load of money to sort it, especially so soon after paying for the belts to be done. In the end it cost me less than 30 quid for the jack and axle stands :D Now I have the money I had put by for fixing it buring a hole in my pocket :)

Its funny how theres never anything decent on eBay when your flush :) I do have a tf mirror and xpower badge on the way tho. I was looking at getting some cheap wheels, so If anyone has some let me know

I went a short drive and instantly fell back in love with the car, its a joy to drive now.

shroonie29
31-07-08, 07:10 PM
Glad it was an easy fix in the end Craig.
Happy motoring :hooray:

Shroon

wullie-zs180
31-07-08, 07:28 PM
glad tae here it boi.

what bout these? al sell them cheap. they need 4 new tyres but.

Craig
31-07-08, 07:29 PM
hmmmm interesting, what are the tyres like? Much u after mate?

Craig
31-07-08, 07:31 PM
Glad it was an easy fix in the end Craig.
Happy motoring :hooray:

Shroon

Thanks mate, it was your pic that got me in the right direction, much appreciated

wullie-zs180
31-07-08, 07:32 PM
they need 4 new tyres. 17" lionhearts multi stud. all sell em cheap.

what r u doin with yours?

Maxfly
31-07-08, 07:36 PM
nice one fella, wonder how the engine shifted?? weord that, least twas easy fixed though!!

off topic, how much would you reckon the 4th year service would sting me?? bearing in mind i dont need sparkies, pollen filter or coolant change done as they have all been done in the last 3-4 months by me:)......apart from the coolant, that was done by the garage that did thermostat:clover:

Craig
31-07-08, 07:55 PM
they need 4 new tyres. 17" lionhearts multi stud. all sell em cheap.

what r u doin with yours?

What condition are the wheels mate? How cheap is cheap lol

Mine are curbed, might stick them on ebay see what they go for.

They changed the rubber mount when they changed the belts, dunno what they did but it had deffo shifted. All is well now though :D

wullie-zs180
31-07-08, 08:05 PM
a was wantin bout 80quid 4 them
thr in gid nik just needin a gid clean lol the only thing wrong is the paints a bit chipped round whar the wheel nuts go in

Craig
31-07-08, 08:15 PM
a was wantin bout 80quid 4 them
thr in gid nik just needin a gid clean lol the only thing wrong is the paints a bit chipped round whar the wheel nuts go in

Cool, pm'd :D

I wonder what they would look like white with the polished rim

stamford
31-07-08, 10:12 PM
Glad to hear it has been sorted, sounds like they moved it to gain more space to do the belts.

arwilson80
31-07-08, 10:26 PM
Love / Hate by the sounds of things... glad it's more love than hate now though.

talkingcars
01-08-08, 06:40 AM
What a difference a week makes :D

I finally got my car fixed. As per my other thread, it had been making an awful grinding noise for the last 6 weeks, since I had the timing belts done and also it was rattling from somewhere around the n/s rear wheel.

...........................snip................... ..

I went a short drive and instantly fell back in love with the car, its a joy to drive now.

I know excatly how you feel, on and off I'd had problems with my N/S/F brake caliper sticking causing me to drive slower and avoiding the brakes by slowing sooner and using gears etc, I ended up replacing pas and disc and eventually the caliper.

As soon as that was done I developed a knocking noise which I couldn't trace, local garage traced it to the O/S drive shaft knocking due to the engine shifting as the rear mount bolts were u/s, 1 missing, the other sheared!

I had forgotten how good the car was when driven hard, absolutely luv'in it again.

peterzs
10-08-08, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Craig 180;63893]What a difference a week makes :D

Hi Craig glad your ones sorted, my ones in a garage for an alarm going off randomly, but without the flashers flashing at the same time. Had a phone call from garage, volumatic sensor gone, £155 odd to replace, ok go ahead. Next phone call from garage, technician just realised flashers not going off at the same time, could be the sounder box £330 odd or worst case SCU £666 odd!! I said cant you just cut it out and Ill go without, but no it controls locks,windows etc. so must be done. I now fell like you did a couple of weeks ago.:sad::sad:There ordering all the new bits and will replace until they hit the right one. T4 said volumatic sensor!!
One thing with a zs you never know whats coming next.:laugh::laugh::wave:

Bobdope2002
10-08-08, 08:31 PM
arggghhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooo

That sounds like a soggy sounder box to me and you can fix it for freee NOOOO

ThumpJunkie
10-08-08, 10:16 PM
I know exactly what you mean Craig, my VVC mechs are rattling to the point I'm actually embarassed to drive the car... that said, when the window's up and I can't hear the rattle I realise how happy this car makes me :)

stamford
11-08-08, 07:26 AM
My 180 was a rattley old boy a while back due to a knackered plenum, that was aweful sitting at traffic lights. Not much you can do to deaden it but turn up the stereo.

peterzs
11-08-08, 11:39 AM
arggghhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooo

That sounds like a soggy sounder box to me and you can fix it for freee NOOOO

Hi Bob,

Too late this time but whats the free fix for next time it goes wrong?? In the MG garage at the moment as I didnt like the idea of it sitting in the driveway unlocked.:idea::idea: