PDA

View Full Version : Heel & Toe, and Left Foot Braking

TjP
01-08-08, 11:16 PM
Just wondering how many people use these tecniques when driving, and how easy (or hard!) you find it in the ZS?

Myself, I have never tried left foot braking, but use heel & toe on almost every downshift. I find the pedals in the Zed to be just about perfect for my shoe size, and I've improved quite a bit since getting the ZS because of this :happy:

I'd like to learn to brake with my left foot too, but Im not sure theres much point unless youre on a track? Not really sure what the theory is for it, or atleast not on an NA car ( I guess with a turbo you keep it on boost by staying on the gas?? ). Even so its something I'd like to add to my list of car skills... what do you think? :)

hob
01-08-08, 11:44 PM
but use heel & toe on almost every gear change.

Erm, heal and toe is to change gear whilst decelerating, for a bend etc, theory being that rev matching the lower gear means you don't require the synchomesh to do the work, which saves on wear and tear and doesn't give you that rpm *bam* of putting it into a lower gear. It should only be done whilst downshifting, upshifting is pointless with modern synchro boxes (for speed).

I'd like to learn to brake with my left foot too, but Im not sure theres much point unless youre on a track? Not really sure what the theory is for it, or atleast not on an NA car ( I guess with a turbo you keep it on boost by staying on the gas?? ). Even so its something I'd like to add to my list of car skills... what do you think? :)

Turbo won't do much in the way of loading it between gear changes, if its a competition car it will have ALS anyway for the lag, the main thing it does is "upset" the movement of the car, combines with the accelerator means you can slide the car at high speed with control for fast corners.

Also with an automatic it means less time is spent between moving between pedals, which on italian cars are a pita as they are close together.

TjP
01-08-08, 11:57 PM
Erm, heal and toe is to change gear whilst decelerating, for a bend etc, theory being that rev matching the lower gear means you don't require the synchomesh to do the work, which saves on wear and tear and doesn't give you that rpm *bam* of putting it into a lower gear. It should only be done whilst downshifting, upshifting is pointless with modern synchro boxes (for speed).

Erm, yes I know when to heel and toe. By every gear change I meant downshift (since this is a topic about heel and toe I didnt realise I would have to be so specific on that, but there we go.) And yes, I can see youre next reply... I only HEEL and TOE while braking obviously, but for every downshift - on the brakes or not - I blip the throttle.

I also know the theory for heel and toe, its the theory for LFB I have yet to learn (as I said).

A car such as a factory Impreza though, for example is not a comp car but still has a turbo... so might benefit from LFBing to keep the turbo spinning? The only reason I thought this was because of something I heard said by a rally driver (I guess his Evo VI didnt have anti lag). His comments were what brought me to this conclusion but I dont know if its correct or not.

hob
02-08-08, 12:12 AM
A car such as a factory Impreza though, for example is not a comp car but still has a turbo... so might benefit from LFBing to keep the turbo spinning? The only reason I thought this was because of something I heard said by a rally driver (I guess his Evo VI didnt have anti lag). His comments were what brought me to this conclusion but I dont know if its correct or not.

If you keep the revs up using the throttle, it will keep the turbo spinning. It was a big thing back in the early days when they had the lagmeister turbos, most comp cars have anti lag so LFB is only used as a method of controlling the car. If there is no als it will keep the turbo happy through the corner, it will also reduce weight transfer to the front as it will be milder braking, not good for the tight stuff but the flowing corners will be good.

TjP
02-08-08, 08:04 AM
Is it worth learning to brake with my left foot then? If it improves my ability to be able to control the car then it sounds like a good idea...

Heel & toe is a very enjoyable thing I find; it makes driving more fun and it sound great too when you downshift at high revs :) So Im thinking LFBing will add yet more fun to driving :)

talkingcars
02-08-08, 08:36 AM
I find the gas peddle too low to heel & toe in my ZS!

arwilson80
02-08-08, 09:56 PM
Tried LFB a few times and TBH i've almost bashed my head on the windscreen... I now just slow a little into the corner and then back on the power.

Who needs breaks anyway... ;)

hob
02-08-08, 11:00 PM
Is it worth learning to brake with my left foot then? If it improves my ability to be able to control the car then it sounds like a good idea...

Here is a video of it, from the late great CM, although I don't think he is using it for the turns more as time saving:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEqOGejlrw

I heal and toe if I'm in a bit of a rush and come up to a round about too sharpish, I tend to LFB in my daily driver automatic.

It will take a few months to get the feel and the first couple of times you will clutch stab the pedal.

If you do track days/ rally etc it may be of benefit, on the road not really but it can't hurt learning something :)