PDA

View Full Version : Tailgaters

Craig
03-08-08, 10:55 AM
Dont you just hate people who tailgate? Im just home from Gemmas. Its a 40 mile drive down a great winding a road, a few straights to overtake and lots of tight sections and 1 corner where the camber of the road can shove you across the road unless you are careful.

For 20 miles I had a guy and his wife stitting right up my bumper. I was going at the speed limit the whole road, but he stuck to me, far too close imo. He wouldnt pass on the straights which pissed me off. I booted when we left a 30mph in to a 60 zone and he stuck with me all the way, he was driving a Laguna estate.

I finally got fed up and slowed down to 40 just before a half mile straight. He finally passed me! So I thought I would return the favour. This part of the road is very bendy, so I didnt break the speed limit in case your wondering.

So for 10 miles I sat right behind him (much further away than he did, I may add). His driving was terrible, braking, bucking and swerving all over the road, cutting every corner, whilst I drove smoothly and never cut the corners.

It was sooo funny, he clearly couldnt handle the bends (or his pish car couldnt). We finally arrived at a dual carriage way and he slowed right down, let me past and I never saw him again :D

Mat C
03-08-08, 11:18 AM
I had a tail-gating experiance last night too. I had given a friend a lift to near-by Scunthorpe (26 miles away from me) to collect a Harley Davidson. On the way back i stayed behind him all the way plodding down the A180 at a genuine steady 70mph.
Then when we got into Grimsby we drove down the main road which is basicly a 4 mile straight seperated by a few traffic lights. From the 2nd junction i had one of those big ugly Mercedes R-class things up my chuff. Paul was next to me in the other lane on his gleaming Harley and we just both pulled away normaly but the R-class was right up behind me.
The 2 lanes blend into one and Paul was still in front. The R-class then tried to undertake me but realised he couldn't make it. Now , although there were no oncoming cars what the R-class driver did next made us livid. After tailing us for 2 miles he then pulled out into the cross-hatched area and nailed it by us kicking up all the stones and dirt. It went all over, in my car, pinging off the bonnet and it clearly hit Paul as he stuck his fingers up at him.
Next thing we are at the final set of lights and it goes back to 2 lanes, Merc' on the inside, Paul next to him. Paul takes him off the line no bother but now the Merc' is dangerously close to his rear wheel. Then the Merc' boots it past him once again showering him in stones. Now we have what is localy known as the runway (nearly 2 miles of perfect, wide staright) and i had seen the Mercs badge - R320-D i know i can take him. I nailed it past him and was quickly followed by Paul. Anyway, we left him for dead and turned off at the roundabout to go to Tescos as we wanted to re-fuel.
So there we are at the petrol garage looking at the fresh stone chips on my bonnet and Pauls gloss black and chrome framework when who pulls up next to us - Merc' man ! To say we layed into him is an understatement. His excuse for doing it was pathetic - he claimed he was running out of fuel so he needed to get to the petrol garage quickly. We stated his brains as dumb as his driving as when you are low on fuel you drive as carefuly and gently as possible, not like a bank robber !

stamford
03-08-08, 11:47 AM
I must admit tailgating is my pet hate, I sometimes pull over let them by the drive up behind them to see what I had done. Other times I will brake test them just to remind them they are too close, they soon get the message. Most of the time I cannot be arsed as there are so many at it these days.

KevG
03-08-08, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I hate it too, but when you give them a bit of there own medicine they get hump and take offense at it!!

carmadbaker
03-08-08, 12:35 PM
ggrrrr tailgatrs do my friggin head in, actually a massive pet hate, depends who it is depends how i handle it...
-moded punto with 15bhp.....wave goodbye thru the rear window, down a gear or two and disappear into the distance
-cars around the ZS performance band- head for roundabouts and windy corners then wave goodbye
-scoobys and evo's- they rarely bother....they have nothing to prove sitting that close to you
its mainly penis's in cars they consider "best ever built"
ahhh kids will be kids :)

Mat C
03-08-08, 12:38 PM
I find it's mainly 4X4's and MPV's that are the main offenders. They seem to feel that they have something to prove against regular car drivers.

carmadbaker
03-08-08, 12:40 PM
i must admit tho....wen i use the works Hilux...u feel top dog on the road and like everyone shud part like the red sea lol so no doubt im a prime offender also:( sorry Matt lol

Mat C
03-08-08, 12:44 PM
No worries, you havn't tailgated me - yet ;) But i'm also in the School of Stamford here that i will often brake test people. I often consider it being worth writing off the ZS to prove a point. All i would have to say is a cat ran out in front of me and next thing i knew i had a boot full of Vauxhall Zafira. It's ALWAYS the person behinds fault in the eyes of the law and it is them who will be punished.

Craig
03-08-08, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I hate it too, but when you give them a bit of there own medicine they get hump and take offense at it!!

Thats what was funny about this guy, when we were at a roundabout waiting to go on to the dual carriageway, he didnt even look in his rv mirror :)

I think his wife had a go at him for being a d1ck :D

I do find that scoobies and evos try and have a go, its the extreme spoiler that attracts them IMO, I just let them past, no point in doing anything else with them.

The knobs in the puntos/corsas etc dont last long. On a windy road, not having to brake for corners when they are jumping on the brakes usually gives them the message

carmadbaker
03-08-08, 12:47 PM
i've suprised a ST Fez tailgating once upon a time, went hurtling up a hill (givin my Zed advantage anyway) and around this long sweeping bend, the Fez thort he cud do the same and ended up on the rong side of the road head heading for the kurb, i neva saw him afta that ;)

G man
03-08-08, 01:12 PM
that is a nice wee road for a blast Craig, but where is the camber on that road which u r talking about , I presume u r talking about between Strathaven & Kilmarnock?:snorkle:

Craig
03-08-08, 01:30 PM
Yeah mate, the a71, I love that road, I know it so well, which always helps. Its a left hander after Strathaven, before the bit they do the horse trials. I have seen a few people overcook it and end up on the other side of the road.

TjP
03-08-08, 02:48 PM
I dont like tailgaters when I have passengers, and it also can make me hesitant to brake cause its always in my mind how hard to find mk2 bumpers are! One time I had a biker right up behind me and if I had braked normally he would have been right into the back of me! So I had brake early and gently to save him from killing himself, grr!

If Im alone in the car and on one of my usual driving routes though... I see tailgater as prey to be embarressed :yes: I do the limit through 30's and 40's then when I come into a 60 zone... see ya. Of course they catch me up in the next 30 zone, but that just means I can embaress them again! :D

Its funny too when people use the both lanes of the road for corners (clearly giving it their all) and the ZS is just keeping to its lane (albeit with "my version" of a racing line sometimes - I try!). Theyre just showing themselves up doing that, and their car too.

arwilson80
03-08-08, 02:55 PM
I have to admit that i do it occasionally... but only if the prat in front is driving in the outside lane of M'way / Dual carriageway and won't move over where they should be.

Andyf
03-08-08, 03:36 PM
I can't stand them and seeing the results of tail gating on an almost daily basis on the motorway when i'm at work makes me even more annoyed. I have been overtaken so many times when i'm doing 30 through a 30 and it really winds me up. If they overtake when i'm passing a junction I indicate right and move over slightly (still in my lane) to give them something to think about.
When I was in the unmarked car at work being tail gated I pulled them over, walked them round to the boot and said, "Do you want me to open it so you can get in?"

stamford
03-08-08, 06:59 PM
When I was in the unmarked car at work being tail gated I pulled them over, walked them round to the boot and said, "Do you want me to open it so you can get in?"

I have thought about doing the very same thing countless times, funny as f*** :laugh:

ZS
04-08-08, 08:09 AM
Biggest offenders for tailgating IMO are those stupid moped things! usually with 12 year old kids riding them (okay their 16 but so what!) mind you as soon as you leave the 30 zones they can't keep up!

stamford
04-08-08, 12:17 PM
Biggest offenders for tailgating IMO are those stupid moped things! usually with 12 year old kids riding them (okay their 16 but so what!) mind you as soon as you leave the 30 zones they can't keep up!

Yes, they hunt in packs, worth hiring a van just to stop suddenly and flatten them all!

Mat C
04-08-08, 04:18 PM
Mate of mine did something similar once Stamford - had a 'wasp' on his arse-end whilst driving his old Megane Scenic so he stamped on the brakes. Kid fell off, so my mate gets out and asks him if he's ok. Kid replies yes so my mate says 'that's a pity, next time i'll reverse and finish the job' !!!! :D

mrt_04
04-08-08, 04:41 PM
Mate of mine did something similar once Stamford - had a 'wasp' on his arse-end whilst driving his old Megane Scenic so he stamped on the brakes. Kid fell off, so my mate gets out and asks him if he's ok. Kid replies yes so my mate says 'that's a pity, next time i'll reverse and finish the job' !!!! :D

:clap2::clap2: