PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Avenger

john180
09-08-08, 08:19 PM
Went to look at the new Dodge Avenger at the weekend and they seem a very good car for the money but i'm interested in peoples opinions. I'm looking at the 2.0 Petrol SXT model.

Any thoughts on these folks??

John

Dan1971
09-08-08, 08:21 PM
Link would be handy to the one you're interested in .....

john180
09-08-08, 08:24 PM
i just mean generally as cars. prob looking at a brand new one.

Dan1971
09-08-08, 08:31 PM
OK. Generally, my view is that it would depend on how likely you are to keep it when you're considering brand new.

I would imagine that it won't keep it's value too well, but if you intended to keep it for say 5+ years it'd be OK.

They don't seem to be at the top of the sales charts so on one hand you'd have some exclusivity, on the other, maybe a bit of a "what's that" when you come to sell. They are not really seen as cutting edge.

Personally, depending on budget and what you're after in a car, if you like it, there's a lot to be said for getting a brand new, never been driven by anyone else car.

Go for it..... after you've seen what else there is for your money, in the used market, from one of the better, more recognised marques.

big g
09-08-08, 08:47 PM
For god's sake don't do it! Trust me you will regret it. Depreciation on wheels, save yourself losing 10 grand in 6 months, just set fire to your money, or send it to me and i'll spend it on Jack daniels, and lap dancers, it'll be a much more fun way to waste your money!!!

If you wan't a big american saloon, get yourself a USED 300C but make sure it has lost at least 40% of it's list price before you get your cheque book out

Greg

lukiep160
09-08-08, 08:47 PM
they're cheap thats all i''m saying, i'm not a fan of dodges styling but the viper on the other hand:wub:.

i'm saving for 2010 for the new Camero to come out over here in RHD form and i get to play with them

big g
09-08-08, 08:50 PM
Oh by the way other marques, big saloons, how about year old volvo S80 2.4 diesel, bit of miles on it, but 14 grand???? 50 % off in a year? there's a deal for you!!!

By the way I sell cars for a living and have done for 18 years, do NOT buy that american piece of junk, you WILL regret it

Greg

john180
09-08-08, 09:12 PM
bloody hell they dont seem 2 be that good by all accounts then...

big g
09-08-08, 09:17 PM
Honestly the cars may be ok, but are probably using old technology, and no one in the trade want's to own them, if someone comes in with a Chrysler, Dodge, etc etc, you just try to figure out, "how much behind book is safe" and the answer is Never enough!!!!

Sorry to rain on your parade, but stick to something european or Japanese at a push

Greg

john180
09-08-08, 09:21 PM
its not like my zs is using anything like new technology. and as trade in i was offered 2.5k on a mk2 04 plate with 55k on the clock which is pretty pathetic so i intend to keep the zs what ever i decide. They do seem alot better built than the zs and the specs offered seem good too on the SXT model! I haven't driven one yet but i will be doing this coming weekend.

TjP
09-08-08, 09:23 PM
Glad I never bought a Chrysler Neon R/T then... I almost did, but turned out it had an expensive air con job needing doing.

stamford
09-08-08, 09:26 PM
A bad choice of car, it's too new and very few dealers selling them across the UK. If you intend to keep it for a number of years, then fine, but if you intend to sell it after say 2 years, you may have trouble. It is not replacing anything, so is based on an older model, the Sebring.

You are better off buying something already established and known to the market, this may be a dud.

US spec'd cars are hard work over here, the Neon never caught on, the Voyager is well known but expensive to run and a bit long in the tooth now. The latest coupes are superb, Mustangs, Challengers and Chargers to name but a few, but running Hemi's will hit the pocket.

Me? I'd go for the Mustang and perhaps the other two ;)

arwilson80
09-08-08, 10:23 PM
I don't know if the European versions are the same as the US ones, but a lot of them are still running on leaf springs. :yikes:

Mustang would be the only choice for me. ;)

john180
09-08-08, 10:29 PM
wots a leaf spring??????

Maxxed_Ross
09-08-08, 10:32 PM
same suspension technology that cars were using back in the dark ages, and the only thing they're fit for these days are articulated lorries!

arwilson80
09-08-08, 10:45 PM
wots a leaf spring??????

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50066112/Leaf_Spring.jpg
They look like that!

john180
10-08-08, 12:33 AM
are we exagerating now people???

Zippy Saloon
10-08-08, 10:36 AM
I love the look of the Avenger, looks cheap here too:
http://www.westaway-motors.co.uk/jeep-chrysler-dodge/jeep-chrysler-dodge-dealer-new-cars-dodge-avenger.htm?gclid=CMWttKCJg5UCFQTklAoddCyzqg

Don't think it was highly rated by the mags / TV though.

mattie007
10-08-08, 01:32 PM
That is cheap! Looks ok aswell. Won't be a patch on the ZS to drive though.

lukiep160
10-08-08, 02:02 PM
are we exagerating now people???

No its a well known fact that the american cars use technology from the dark ages hencwhy they don't go around corners

Dan1971
10-08-08, 02:53 PM
Looks OK actually ... I like the rear arch type thing going on .... Retro. Cool.

All it needs is a V8, stripped out leather interior and it'd be popular ..... Oh and a £7K price tag !

Z Scotland
10-08-08, 10:25 PM
I was looking at the diesel one last week:yes: A lot of car for the money and it looks good. A little like the Mustang.

john180
10-08-08, 11:23 PM
yeah i like the looks - and the eqipment you get inside id good for the money! just depends on the drive. i dont think they are a bad looking car at all

Mat C
11-08-08, 06:27 AM
I'd never seen one before but now i have i'm convinced that they must be using monkeys as car designers - what a foul looking car. Everything about it looks disproportionate from it's over-pumped rear arches to it's short wheelbase, to the big ugly grille and lofty ride height (due to pram-technology leaf springs !). I never thought i would say it but i would rather waste my money on one of those hateful dull Vectras - at least you know it will do it's job each time you open the garage door !

john180
11-08-08, 06:47 PM
don't knock it till you've tried it.....

Mat C
11-08-08, 06:49 PM
I've never tried a Vauxhall Mariva but i know i wouldn't ever want one !

stamford
13-08-08, 02:33 PM
Saw this (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/13/first-two-dodge-challenger-ses-delivered-to-ohio-this-week/) and thought of this thread..................if only they could sell these at GBP! Bargin!

'You won't win many races, but...............read on ;)

mrt_04
13-08-08, 02:36 PM
$21k, bargain !!!!:-D

ZS
13-08-08, 02:47 PM
wots a leaf spring??????

My 1965 Landrover has Leaf Springs!

john180
26-08-08, 05:33 PM
test drove one of these the other weekend and they aint that bad! took my dad along (hes a mechanic) and they are not sat on leaf springs!