PDA

View Full Version : Need to pick your brains

RudeDogg1
10-08-08, 08:25 PM
I know its the wrong forum guys but i thought id ask anyway. My mum has a rover 25 which she stupidly never gets serviced shes had an oil change all the time shes had it and done thousands of miles. Anyway back to the prob I think its got a leak. She says it dont overheat it just stays midway on the gauge, yet it drinks about 2 pints of water doing a 5 min journy. Any idea what the culprit might be?. Theres no mayo and the water dont look funny (unlike my sister mk2 golf which has tomato soup for water lol)

Bobdope2002
10-08-08, 08:29 PM
Thermostat or the Expansion Bottle top has failed

Or It could be HGF how many miles has it done

My dads had HGF and the oil didnt go mayo'y i spsoe we did catch it early though before it had the chance

RudeDogg1
10-08-08, 08:31 PM
its had a new cap not long back, i suspected the thermostat. Not sure on the mileage atleast 60k i think

Bobdope2002
10-08-08, 08:35 PM
its had a new cap not long back, i suspected the thermostat. Not sure on the mileage atleast 60k i think

Well my first port of call would be thermostat if the bottle hasnt not compleltey lost all the water for no reason id say its that and not HGF

60k is the exact time they say the HGF is prone to going though :hmm:

RudeDogg1
10-08-08, 08:47 PM
cheers buddy

stamford
11-08-08, 07:16 AM
2 pints in 5 mins seems alot, no evidence of a leak anywhere? Get the system pressure tested.

Shafz
11-08-08, 08:24 AM
could be a number of things

-faulty expansion cap
-leaky pipe?
-leaky rad?
-leaking water pump
-leaking from inlet manfold gasket area
-the dreaded HGF

RudeDogg1
11-08-08, 07:01 PM
she just wants to sell it now lol ive told her to get it sorted if she expects to sell it