PDA

View Full Version : broadband question

lewerty
11-08-08, 05:08 PM
i dont believe in paying for a bt phone line to get the internet as i will never use the phone as get 1000mins from my mobile, so are there n e broadband offer that pay for ur phoneline as part of the deal, or u dont have to pay it, tried virgin, sky and O2 all require a bt phone line or not avaliable in my area

Bobdope2002
11-08-08, 05:24 PM
they all require a BT landline unless you are on cable

Sorry Dude Bt have us non cable users by the danglies

KevG
11-08-08, 05:28 PM
Try using your mobile as an internet device, and transfer your minutes over.

lewerty
11-08-08, 05:33 PM
was hoping to use xbox live, guess i wont have the internet when i move

Craig
11-08-08, 05:33 PM
You could get a usb dongle for mobile adsl. Quite a few sp's offering 5mbps(ish) for not a lot of dosh. If you dont have cable then your stuck, all adsl sp's that I am aware of require you to have a phone line. I have worked on business adsl that had no dial tone but thats very rare. When they say bt fone line required its basically saying that you need the copper pair of wires from the exchange to your house, thats what the bb runs on. Thats what you pay for, the adsl piggybacks onto the fone line.

Maxxed_Ross
11-08-08, 05:43 PM
don't go with Virgin anyway, it's a total waste of space

why can't you get the others in your area?

lewerty
11-08-08, 05:43 PM
i can if i pay for a bt phone line which i wont use, dont believe in paying for something i wont use

Maxxed_Ross
11-08-08, 05:45 PM
don't sky do a cable only package?

Craig
11-08-08, 05:46 PM
Do you live in a small town/village? Most medium to large tele exchanges are able to use local loop unbundled lines, where the sp rents them off Openreach and theres no need for a BT line.

lewerty
11-08-08, 05:47 PM
its quite a big town i will be moving too, whats this openreach then not heard of that b4

Craig
11-08-08, 05:50 PM
Openreach own the copper telephone network. Basically all the cables in the street etc. All sp's, including BT, using the copper network rent their lines from Openreach. If you get a fone line installed it will be an Openreach engineer that put the line in and fixes it if it goes wrong.

talkingcars
11-08-08, 05:56 PM
I thought openreach was part of BT
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/home.do

Craig
11-08-08, 06:05 PM
I thought openreach was part of BT
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/home.do

Openreach is a bt owned business, but its completely seperate from BT. Its very complicated and fecking annoying I can tell you.

Openreach have to treat BT just like they do any other service provider, so there is no favouritsim. Which means I cant talk to BT departments like I have did for the 8 years when I was a BT engineer.

Bobdope2002
11-08-08, 06:12 PM
Openreach is a part of BT its all over the vans that they use

Mobile Broadband is usable but the speeds are terrible at times just hack into your next door neighbors wireless network :laugh:

Craig
11-08-08, 06:13 PM
Openreach is a part of BT its all over the vans that they use

Mobile Broadband is usable but the speeds are terrible at times just hack into your next door neighbors wireless network :laugh:

I think you will find thats classed as theft

Bobdope2002
11-08-08, 06:20 PM
I think you will find thats classed as theft

if its left open and unlocked its not :p

grimmy
11-08-08, 06:31 PM
don't go with Virgin anyway, it's a total waste of space

why can't you get the others in your area?
I am with Virgin for my internet and can't fault it cable telly on the other hand sucks, but seeing as this thread is about broadband If you can get it in your area get it, i am paying about £17 a month for 10 meg and it is really good

lewerty
11-08-08, 06:33 PM
cant get virgin :(

Craig
11-08-08, 06:34 PM
if its left open and unlocked its not :p

Incorrect, if a private user has stupidly left their router unprotected (more than likely a netgear in my experience) it is still theft to use their service. You are using their service without their knowledge and "stealing" their bandwidth.

Wi FI hotspots on the other hand are a different ballgame.

lewerty
11-08-08, 06:35 PM
lets hope there is a wi fi hotspot

Craig
11-08-08, 06:36 PM
lets hope there is a wi fi hotspot

Find a house next to a McDonalds :D

Bobdope2002
11-08-08, 06:42 PM
Incorrect, if a private user has stupidly left their router unprotected (more than likely a netgear in my experience) it is still theft to use their service. You are using their service without their knowledge and "stealing" their bandwidth.

Exactly,

theyre problem not mine Freebies all the way wooohooo

RudeDogg1
11-08-08, 06:44 PM
if u already have a phoneline at ur place its normaly free to reconnect and then u can get bb from somewhere like sky and if u pay an extra £10 pm u dont have to pay for rental with bt

Craig
11-08-08, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately, The only way to get a free reconnection is if theres still dial tone from the previous occupants service still working in the property. If there is it should be free, if its not then generally you will be charged around £120 for it to be connected.

Sky were doing a deal where they gave you back a portion of the connection fee, dunno if they still are.

mrt_04
11-08-08, 07:06 PM
If have to say that Openreach were excellent in installing & dealing with a problem when I moved.
Before we moved I was one of the `launch` customers for talk talk & I know they have been `trashed` with their services, but again I had no complaints. :book:

lewerty
11-08-08, 07:09 PM
seems a bit expensive that openreach thou

mrt_04
11-08-08, 07:16 PM
They are all open to deals, thats what I did. :king:

KevG
11-08-08, 07:36 PM
In a nutshell:-

ADSL or DSL lines use PTSN (Public Switched Telephone Network) lines, these get used by BT, Sky, Talk Talk, Tiscali, O2, Orange, Vodafone etc etc, these are all rented from Openreach/BT
Cable uses part of the Fibre Optic Backbone that Openreach/BT use, but from there universal bridged routers (UBR'S) to the green boxes or the cable pits use coax cable.