PDA

View Full Version : Servicing?

markyzs180
15-08-08, 09:13 PM
Having just had a quote of £350 for a 3rd service on the zed from the local xpart autocentre I had a look a t the service sheet to see what it entails.....the answer, not a lot!! So my question is....as I already do my own interim oil changes and apart from hooking it up to T4 I can do all the other work myself, is it really worth paying a garage to service (!) it for you for the sake of a stamp in the service book?? Would it really make that much of a difference if I ever sell it that instead of a stamp there is a log from me listing the work done?

Dan1971
15-08-08, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't bother with keeping to X-part. I do think that a stamp from some sort of garage is all that would be looked for with regards maintaining a decent value, or at least a receipt showing date and mileage.

Most dealers around my way do all make servicing and would be well under that quote.

Personally, I'm wary of people who claim to do their own servicing when it comes to buying / selling. That is not meant at you .... just a personal view.

KevG
15-08-08, 09:26 PM
If you have the service sheet and use all oem or equivalent oe parts, and have the receipts for these bits then fine I would have no qualms.

R8NMG
15-08-08, 09:34 PM
My 3rd service at my local xpart centre was £225. £350 is very expensive.

markyzs180
15-08-08, 09:45 PM
If you have the service sheet and use all oem or equivalent oe parts, and have the receipts for these bits then fine I would have no qualms.

Thats exactly what I was going to do Kev :yes:

My 3rd service at my local xpart centre was £225. £350 is very expensive.

I was expecting around the £200 mark to be honest and just laughed at them when they said £350!! I'll phone round a few places first but I may well just do it all myself...

Steves Cleenz
15-08-08, 10:16 PM
might aswell do it yourself as its quite easy for what is involved

ian zs180
15-08-08, 11:06 PM
Its crazy how much difference the prices are i had my 3rd service done at signature in preston £180 i also got 2 other quotes foxfield in wigan £280ish i think ,and horners in manchester was over £300 cant remember the exact prices now but all were xpart dealers .

arwilson80
15-08-08, 11:08 PM
I do all mine myself...
But £350 does sound steep.

mrt_04
16-08-08, 08:55 AM
Yup, thats expensive for 3rd service :wacko:

Zippy Saloon
16-08-08, 09:04 AM
I think whether to pay to keep up the service history depends a lot on how long you intend to keep the car - supposing you keep it 10 years and pay £200 per year to service, it wouldn't be worth £2000 more.

TBH "if" you were to keep for 10 years there probably wouldn't be much difference in value between one with no history, one that had been serviced at home and one serviced by a main dealer.

I would guess each service (at a dealer) would only add about £50 to the value if you were very lucky on even a 5 year old car.

For what amounts to oil change and new oil, air & pollen filter even £200 seems a lot TBH - depends on how much "peace of mind" and not getting your hands dirty means to you.

carl-mgzs
16-08-08, 09:36 AM
service it yourself and just keep reciepts, thats what i have always done... so much easier on the wallet. its cheaper to buy the tools needed and the parts than it is to have it servived by a garage! I service my zs every 3 months and it only costs about 100 pounds for the year.

rbull51
16-08-08, 09:37 AM
I do all the servicing myself but i have kept a receipt for every little thing i have bought for the car. I dont trust half of these garages anyway, at least if i do it myself i know it has been done at all!

markyzs180
16-08-08, 10:09 AM
I do all the servicing myself but i have kept a receipt for every little thing i have bought for the car. I dont trust half of these garages anyway, at least if i do it myself i know it has been done at all!

Yeah you're right, I have never had a car serviced that hasn't had to go back for one reason or another (oil overfill/underfill/bits hanging off etc etc) so I think I'll do it...I always keep every receipt for my cars and I'll use the service check sheet and log it in the service book anyway. theres no way I'm gonna pay 350 for a minor service!!

EDIT: hmmmm, as mentioned earlier in the thread prices vary amazingly...just been quoted £100 + parts for 3rd service and additional brake fluid change (it didn't have it done last year) by another xpart autocentre??? as i can get all the parts trade and he'll fit them it'll work out to about £130 all in, think he might be doing it looking at the weather forecast...

markyzs180
22-08-08, 05:09 PM
Well having been quoted the ridiculous amount of £350 I spoke to a 'proper' garage, they are an x-part service centre an couldn't have been more helpful! I explained that I didn't really need much doing as most of it was done but would like a stamp in the book so they did me an oil/filter and brake fluid change and stamped the book for £50 !! That'll do me... :thumbsup:

SAS Autos, Yardley, Birmingham 0121 706 5888 and speak to Tom

They are listed on the xpart dealer site and have all the gear :)