PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my splitter today

stamford
16-08-08, 05:39 PM
I managed to find the time to go to the scrapyard today and first car I came across? Yep Laguna with front end still intact! £10, bargin! Loads of Rover 45s in there, very sad.

Anyways, removed my bumper to position the splitter, but was somewhat disappointed with the fit. I know a few people have these fitted, but were you all happy with the quality of the fit? I know I'm not.

But then again I am an engineer and everything has to be spot on, so I spent a long time trying to obtain the best position, but no, I had to compromise. I'm not that happy with it, it'll need some black silicon to plug a few air gaps so that I can be a little happier with it! I also need to give it a good refurb as well. I have some paint, was thinking about painting it trophy blue, not sure. Also found I had a couple of big cracks in my front bib, anyone got one in tb?

All cleaned, I'll get some pics up before the weekend is done hopefully :D

Z Scotland
16-08-08, 07:07 PM
Excellent find mines only cost £4 quid :hooray: But i spent around £30 on petrol running around.:rant:

stamford
16-08-08, 08:07 PM
:laugh: I drove 2 miles up the road to my local breakers.

carl-mgzs
17-08-08, 11:08 AM
you got any pictures of it on??

stamford
17-08-08, 05:30 PM
Ermmmmmm, no!

Went garden centre shopping this morning, back in time for SkySports ;) then out again. Finally back in and on here.

stamford
17-08-08, 05:44 PM
Okay, just took a couple on the driveway, not great due to poor light. I'll do some more when the weather is better.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/stamfordzs180/MG%20ZS180/17082008203.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/stamfordzs180/MG%20ZS180/17082008205.jpg

carl-mgzs
17-08-08, 05:55 PM
Sold..... going to find me one of those

Maxxed_Ross
17-08-08, 06:14 PM
looks good dude

you might be dissapointed with the fit because you have yours running flush with the existing splitter, I think most people mount it slightly further back so that it almost follows the line of the bumper as if it didn't have the bib splitter

make sense?

stamford
17-08-08, 07:12 PM
looks good dude

you might be dissapointed with the fit because you have yours running flush with the existing splitter, I think most people mount it slightly further back so that it almost follows the line of the bumper as if it didn't have the bib splitter

make sense?

I tried various positions before nailing it, if I followed the above I would have to cut of the excess that would have protruded into the wheel arch. This would then leave the ends of the splitter open and looking cack. Being an engineer is a real ****** at times, we don't like compromise and everything has to be right. My wife hates me at times for it! :laugh:

papa_lazaroo
17-08-08, 07:32 PM
any advice on splitters for the MKII front?

Maxxed_Ross
17-08-08, 07:45 PM
The last shape Leon Cupra splitter is about the only one that suits the shape of the mk2, but cutting the centre struts the right length to suit the contours in the front bumper is damn near impossible.

I tried one of these Laguna splitters on mine and it looked pants

The mk2 looks best left as it is to be honest

Jay-ZS+
17-08-08, 07:46 PM
nice think ive just decided what im goin to do with my front end!

papa_lazaroo
17-08-08, 07:59 PM
I agree, the front looks best as is IMO.

I'll leave it as GOD intended it....... Nude !

Plus, the sodding council around here are hump crazy

carl-mgzs
17-08-08, 10:10 PM
Okay, just took a couple on the driveway, not great due to poor light. I'll do some more when the weather is better.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/stamfordzs180/MG%20ZS180/17082008203.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/stamfordzs180/MG%20ZS180/17082008205.jpg

straying slighty... but are your wheels white or very very clean???

TjP
17-08-08, 10:23 PM
Looks ace! Especially with the site sticker and the white wheels. I had white wheels on my last car as standard (a rally homologation) and loved the look!

stamford
18-08-08, 07:10 AM
Carl, yes they are white and clean! But not for long!

The splitter shows up better on my works monitor rather than the home one.

mrt_04
18-08-08, 08:42 AM
Looking good Mick.
Is that your induction air source where the N/S fog used to be?? :smile2:

stamford
18-08-08, 12:33 PM
Looking good Mick.
Is that your induction air source where the N/S fog used to be?? :smile2:

:yes:

Jay-ZS+
18-08-08, 04:54 PM
I bet white wheels are a nightmare to keep clean. They would be on the roads i drive to work!

pVIRUSq
18-08-08, 07:42 PM
splitter looks very nice mate, are they easy to fit? also what exhaust system do you have, the twin pipes look tops!!!

Phate
18-08-08, 09:01 PM
I'm a bit meh on it. It doesn't look bad at all but I don't think it improves the look of the car! sorry dude! :( - If it was colour coded...then yeah, it'd work I reckon.

stamford
18-08-08, 09:18 PM
splitter looks very nice mate, are they easy to fit? also what exhaust system do you have, the twin pipes look tops!!!

Easy to fit :hmmm: that will depend on your patience or how pedantic you are :laugh: In a nutshell, yes I suppose. I removed the bumper when I did it, was easier to line up and drill the fixing holes after faffing around until I was a bit happier with the final position.

The exhaust is a Janspeed cat-back and is getting better with age.....................just like the owner :D

I'm a bit meh on it. It doesn't look bad at all but I don't think it improves the look of the car! sorry dude! :( - If it was colour coded...then yeah, it'd work I reckon.

I'm sure you would see it differently close up, I wasn't sure myself until I dropped it to the floor and stood back. Also got some paint in my garage ;)

Jay-ZS+
18-08-08, 09:43 PM
I think i prefer it black think it would make the bumper seem too big if it was colour coded. Think i may have to take a trip to janspeed at some point considering they are only walking distance from me and get somekinnda local discount would be worth it!
How easy is it to remove the bumper?

stamford
18-08-08, 09:51 PM
Doddle, 4 off bolts on the bellypan, 1 off either side where bumper meets wing inside arch liner and 4 off on top of slam panel. Remember to lay an old carpet down on the ground to avoid any scratching. Also unplug your fogs!

arwilson80
18-08-08, 09:51 PM
I quite like it, but as you say the gaps.... :no:

Jay-ZS+
18-08-08, 10:21 PM
Oh well easy then. Right ive gotta try and track down a standard splitter then the laguna one. Wheres the best place to get the blue paint. Could get it mixed up by the lab but wondered if theres a supplier around.

Andyf
19-08-08, 09:44 AM
Looks really nice mate, I like it in black and personally wouldn't bother painting it, if I had a MK1 i'd get one.