PDA

View Full Version : Advice guys ....Who's got a diesel ?

Dan1971
20-08-08, 08:41 PM
OK .... As you may or may not know, I've had my 180 saloon up on a well known auction site, here and on .org for sale. Reason is that i have a dog now and want either a hatch or estate. I'd have preferred an estate, ZT-T or V70, but hey, the listing has finished and the only decent offer I've had, is for a swap.

The car comes from a guy on the .org site.

He's got a 60k - 2004 54 hatch diesel ZS with the following mods.

Lowered but doesn't rub.
Front mounted intercooler £250
Brand new Hybrid turbo £600+Bigger injectors £300
Full stainless including decat with life guarantee £300
Boost gauge.
K & N apollo £100.
Drilled Black diamond disks all round.
EBC pads all round.

What do we think ? Anyone know the car ? User is "wayner007", but as far as I'm aware, he doesn't use this site.

Cheers,

shroonie29
20-08-08, 08:47 PM
http://forums.mg-rover.org/search.php?searchid=2692039

tells you about his car/issues he has had.
Seems like an enthusiast who fixes not bodges any issues

Shroon

TjP
20-08-08, 08:51 PM
Hmm, not sure how good a deal that is, not unless cash is involved.

The 180 was the range topper, and although I dont know what the diesels cost back then new, I'd think it was significantly less!

I think I'd be disapointed if I went to a mk2 without the 180 kit too, as IMO it really changes the look.

I'd like to know how much BHP and torque it pushing out though, but even with all those mods I'd think a 180 is worth more dollar.

Bobdope2002
20-08-08, 08:51 PM
whos was it im banned from .org but i still remeber some of them

Dan1971
20-08-08, 09:06 PM
http://forums.mg-rover.org/search.php?searchid=2692039

tells you about his car/issues he has had.
Seems like an enthusiast who fixes not bodges any issues

Shroon

He does ... and that he has been tinkering significantly with the engine. That he's ahd HGF and paid £350 to get it sorted but when he got it back, it didn't feel too good ? Hmmm .....

Dan1971
20-08-08, 09:07 PM
Hmm, not sure how good a deal that is, not unless cash is involved.

The 180 was the range topper, and although I dont know what the diesels cost back then new, I'd think it was significantly less!

I think I'd be disapointed if I went to a mk2 without the 180 kit too, as IMO it really changes the look.

I'd like to know how much BHP and torque it pushing out though, but even with all those mods I'd think a 180 is worth more dollar.

Values new are pretty much out of the window now. I know that used diesels are now getting more as they are cheaper to run and tax. I agree about the 180 kit though .... it looks very Rover 400 without it.

Dan1971
20-08-08, 09:08 PM
whos was it im banned from .org but i still remeber some of them

wayner007. Posts mainly in the diesel section.

Bobdope2002
20-08-08, 09:13 PM
hmmmm sounds familiar

if your happy to swap then go for it but if you want a bigger car id skip it TBH

KevG
20-08-08, 09:14 PM
The vehicle details for EG04 URJ are:

Date of Liability 01 10 2008
Date of First Registration 30 07 2004
Year of Manufacture 2004
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1994CC
CO2 Emissions 150g/Km
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour GREY
Vehicle Type Approval M1
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £66.00
12 Months Rate £120.00

Bobdope2002
20-08-08, 09:15 PM
bloody hell £120 a year for tax

buy buy buy haha

shroonie29
20-08-08, 09:17 PM
He does ... and that he has been tinkering significantly with the engine. That he's ahd HGF and paid £350 to get it sorted but when he got it back, it didn't feel too good ? Hmmm .....

Exactly why I posted the link.
Shows the car in more detail in a way.
Having said that if ya searched my car you would find issues I suppose.
As long as they are sorted then all is well.But his L is highly modified from standard

Shroon

Dan1971
20-08-08, 09:21 PM
The vehicle details for EG04 URJ are:

Date of Liability 01 10 2008
Date of First Registration 30 07 2004
Year of Manufacture 2004
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1994CC
CO2 Emissions 150g/Km
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour GREY
Vehicle Type Approval M1
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £66.00
12 Months Rate £120.00

Gold star mate .... Cheers for that. Is PeteZS, with the yellow one, the only diesel ZS driver on here that posts regularly ?

I have to admit .... It's not doing it for me. The engine mods have put me off. There's just something about having a diesel turbo rather than petrol and the extra cc's.

Dan1971
20-08-08, 09:30 PM
Exactly why I posted the link.
Shows the car in more detail in a way.
Having said that if ya searched my car you would find issues I suppose.
As long as they are sorted then all is well.But his L is highly modified from standard

Shroon

Ta ...... :super:

shroonie29
20-08-08, 09:46 PM
having said all that,the weasel is better in gear for day to day driving.No need to drop a cog to get the torque ya see.
Would I have one ?
not for me the derv,I'm a petrol head :)
Derv won Le Mans!
Under special rules allowing it to!

carmadbaker
21-08-08, 07:58 AM
having said all that,the weasel is better in gear for day to day driving.No need to drop a cog to get the torque ya see.
Would I have one ?
not for me the derv,I'm a petrol head :)
Derv won Le Mans!
Under special rules allowing it to!

nooooo come on now lets face it audi and pug done so well at le mans because they use diesels! no ruling factors just outright diesel power. they sound awesome aswell with the waste gates chattering away through corners, no comparison to the Vetts tho ah matc? ;-)
back to topic tho, if u want more room don't go for another zs Dan, loosin a v6 for a tractor, no gains in it really. what about a zt-t ? 1.8 turbo? 160 horses and just a nice k series to play with. they r huge aswell! I love driving my dads zt turbo, great fun ;-)

Dan1971
21-08-08, 02:02 PM
nooooo come on now lets face it audi and pug done so well at le mans because they use diesels! no ruling factors just outright diesel power. they sound awesome aswell with the waste gates chattering away through corners, no comparison to the Vetts tho ah matc? ;-)
back to topic tho, if u want more room don't go for another zs Dan, loosin a v6 for a tractor, no gains in it really. what about a zt-t ? 1.8 turbo? 160 horses and just a nice k series to play with. they r huge aswell! I love driving my dads zt turbo, great fun ;-)

Yep .... I'd have a ZT-T in an heart-beat. Either that or a pre-March 2001 V70 T5 . Interestingly, I got an email today from a dealer with a 2000 W T5 (108K) but with a scratch on the drivers door, offerring me the T5 and £500 for mine.....Could be the one.

shroonie29
21-08-08, 04:02 PM
nooooo come on now lets face it audi and pug done so well at le mans because they use diesels! no ruling factors just outright diesel power.

Compared with a turbocharged gasoline-fueled car, the diesels enjoy a 50-percent larger displacement limit, a 52-percent larger intake restrictor, and an absolute boost pressure limit nearly twice as high. Additionally, the diesels are allowed variable nozzle turbines in their turbochargers.

peterzs
21-08-08, 07:39 PM
Hi Dan

I don't think you would keep up with Chris's ST but you would get a lot more mpg, plus low RFL Back in April my ZSTD was just over £4 K I have had a full service plus all belts and a new sounder box, the car is standard and once going keeps up or is as fast as most things.
My old Volvo 440 turbo is quicker but you would have to look at the package you'r getting and have an extended test drive. After a 180 you could find that you wouldn't like less power, the drive/feel is good and my one corners well, but it does rub if pushed round a bend. After all the work he put into it why is he getting rid?? I'm not up with the engines but i've not heard of a HGF on a diesel, do they go?? or was it something he did with the mods?? Best of luck with whatever you decide.:smile2::smile2:

Dan1971
21-08-08, 07:52 PM
Hi Dan

I don't think you would keep up with Chris's ST but you would get a lot more mpg, plus low RFL Back in April my ZSTD was just over £4 K I have had a full service plus all belts and a new sounder box, the car is standard and once going keeps up or is as fast as most things.
My old Volvo 440 turbo is quicker but you would have to look at the package you'r getting and have an extended test drive. After a 180 you could find that you wouldn't like less power, the drive/feel is good and my one corners well, but it does rub if pushed round a bend. After all the work he put into it why is he getting rid?? I'm not up with the engines but i've not heard of a HGF on a diesel, do they go?? or was it something he did with the mods?? Best of luck with whatever you decide.:smile2::smile2:

Cheers Peter.

My mind's made up ..... It's not for me. Part of the driving experience for me is using the gears and hearing the engine. The 180 V6 is the only ZS for me. I understand the cost issue / running issues in comparison, but I've never had a "sensible" cost effective car.

Thank you all for your comments. :punk:

peterzs
21-08-08, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Dan1971;66488]Gold star mate .... Cheers for that. Is PeteZS, with the yellow one, the only diesel ZS driver on here that posts regularly ?

Hi Dan, just read this after posting other reply ( I must read all the replies before posting!!) We have problems at work, we cut the grass for the married quarters Army Navy RAF for Modern Housing Solutions and they have just given the contract to ISS Wateres, this is all 6 areas of the country so we have lost part South West and the East (Norfolk area) so on Monday I had to advise all the guys in Dorset, Tuesday drove up to Norfolk RAF Marham, and Wednesday Plymouth and RAF St. Mawgan. This is for TUPE - transfer of undertakings if you dont get the advice right you can end up in tribunals!! So Ive been driving our old merc 320 estate petrol, goes like stink but so does the petrol. So I can judge the different cars derv/petrol. I like the ZSTD, it goes well but you know your limits and can not have burn ups away from traffic lights (not that you would of course) At the garage I said its not fast away and the mechanic who is into drifting with a 200 hp jap said it can be "hit the pedel and drop the clutch" , I just see £££ signs with burnt out clutch
so not for me. Once up and running the torque pulls it along well, in fact you find a lot of the cars pull over to let you pass so you have to keep your foot down to get past!! As I said you do want to go for a long test drive to see if you like it. :smile2::smile2: