PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise. VERY annoying. HELP!

Phate
21-08-08, 09:21 PM
Hello all,

Right...my car has a rather annoying whining noise. When I say rather annoying I mean what I'm going to do to my car resembles something like this - :shoot:

heres a crappy video clip - http://www.je-design.co.uk/whine.avi (that'll play in quicktime in your browser :))

So as you can see and hear its annoying.

We thought it was the alternator or belt so we changed them, noise is still there.

So tonight I stuck my head RIGHT in the bay (as close as I could without touching the engine) - it's definately resonating from that corner where the 'nator is, closer to the back of the engine...

I'm 99% sure it's an air leak as when I turn the engine off and the engine slows down the whine turns into air hissing and then dies.

Also if you blip the throttle the noise goes for a split second.

Any ideas? Whats at the back there that could cause that? I've had a feel around the pipes for a hole in a pipe but nothing...

Thanks all.

Steves Cleenz
21-08-08, 09:56 PM
sounds a bit like the power steering pump, does it go if you turn the steering wheel

is that your plenum thats rattling by the way ?

Phate
21-08-08, 09:57 PM
sounds a bit like the power steering pump, does it go if you turn the steering wheel

Nope. Noise stays the same, I'll have another vid done tomorrow during the day to check though. Is the power steering pump in that corner?

is that your plenum thats rattling by the way ?

Yep, got a new one...haven't fitted it yet though. (obviously :p)

Steves Cleenz
21-08-08, 10:00 PM
if your standing at the front of the car which side is it coming from ?

Phate
21-08-08, 10:02 PM
if your standing at the front of the car which side is it coming from ?

The left, by the alternator. Upon further inspection its coming from behind that.

Steves Cleenz
21-08-08, 10:07 PM
check the brake servo vaccum pipe

Phate
21-08-08, 10:14 PM
check the brake servo vaccum pipe

mind pointing out to me in picture which one that is dude? :)

Steves Cleenz
21-08-08, 10:23 PM
see pic there is a big black round thing and it will have a pipe coming out of it just check the pipe

Phate
21-08-08, 10:28 PM
see pic there is a big black round thing and it will have a pipe coming out of it just check the pipe

Cheers dude. Will look after work tomorrow :D

Love the pic by the way! I giggled.

Nice engine bay overall VERY clean - puts mine to shame :(

arwilson80
21-08-08, 10:38 PM
I have no idea, but now i know what a knackered plenum sounds like. :)

Phate
21-08-08, 10:46 PM
I have no idea, but now i know what a knackered plenum sounds like. :)
Yep, bag of spanners :D

Phate
23-08-08, 01:11 AM
Had a look tonight at the big black pipes underneith that thingy (as demonstrated in my highly detailed schematic :p :D) and I wiggled them around with the engine running and the noise didn't change.

Any other ideas folks?! it's getting LOUDER :(