PDA

View Full Version : HID Kits

ZS
01-09-08, 03:49 PM
I have two HID kits, both boxed.

One is New and only been opened to check contents.

The other is in used but v.good condition. Only removed from my car as they don't fit the MK1 headlights properly (and I can't be bothered faffing around making them fit!)

If you want them, then please make me an offer, I'm thinking in the Region of £100 each? although make me an offer, you might be surprised ;) (then again you might not be!)

I can accept paypal if required ;)

Phate
01-09-08, 04:26 PM
Do either of them work on the mk1 fine? :)

ZS
01-09-08, 04:33 PM
Do either of them work on the mk1 fine? :)

The bulb is too long for the MK1 headlights, however if you can get around that then it'll work great!

They are the same kits as sold on here a while back :) (and as such that some members on here have on their cars at moment!)

carmadbaker
01-09-08, 04:50 PM
wats a HID kit? dumb a s s i know.....but never hurts asking:D

Bobdope2002
01-09-08, 04:54 PM
High Intensity sommat or another

its basically those really bright headlights tyhat B*w's have that they have on full all the time and blind you with

ZS
01-09-08, 04:55 PM
wats a HID kit? dumb a s s i know.....but never hurts asking:D

Replaces your standard bulbs with High Intensity Discharge Bulbs...

Its kinda like the lights the new BMW's have...

Youtube video I found of before and after... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzpellVRP44&feature=related

KevG
01-09-08, 05:30 PM
The HID kits you get can fit the Mk1 ZS, as I have fitted them to an ex-member on called Leasky, but you can also get HID kits that have a short bulb too.

As for the price, you can get them as little as £60 now, so, £100 sounds a bit dear (I know said offers, and you maybe surprised)

coopsman1
01-09-08, 06:16 PM
is this the hid kit rated R for reflective lenses mate?

Dave MGT
01-09-08, 06:58 PM
What are they, 8000K???????

shroonie29
01-09-08, 06:59 PM
If they don't fit a MKI then they aint H7Rs

KevG
01-09-08, 07:04 PM
If they don't fit a MKI then they aint H7Rs

No they arent H7R's Andy, however the H7's can and do fit the Mk1, with a little improvisation.

shroonie29
01-09-08, 07:11 PM
No they arent H7R's Andy, however the H7's can and do fit the Mk1, with a little improvisation.

True,but most PPL want a simple plug n play install.
If they were mine I'd get some H7R bulbs to wack in em

ZS
02-09-08, 09:33 AM
They are 6000k

If you can get them for £60 then I'll look for around £40 :P

They are just sitting here in my front room doing nothing, so I'd rather they went to a good home :)

KevG
02-09-08, 10:22 AM
PM'd ya dude

arwilson80
02-09-08, 10:47 AM
£40 you say... :hmmm: tempting!

kel
02-09-08, 03:17 PM
The HID kits you get can fit the Mk1 ZS, as I have fitted them to an ex-member on called Leasky, but you can also get HID kits that have a short bulb too.

As for the price, you can get them as little as £60 now, so, £100 sounds a bit dear (I know said offers, and you maybe surprised)Bloke on e-bay selling them for £50 to fit mk1 and mk2

ZS
02-09-08, 03:20 PM
Bloke on e-bay selling them for £50 to fit mk1 and mk2

Are they "E" marked though?

kel
02-09-08, 04:05 PM
Dont know have a look and let us know

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140258549788&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Bobdope2002
02-09-08, 04:21 PM
ill have a set fo ya for £40 for defo

ZS
02-09-08, 04:23 PM
I do believe both sets are sold now :)

Sorry Bob

Bobdope2002
02-09-08, 04:23 PM
:doh:

KevG
02-09-08, 05:31 PM
Tim, if you require the other set, then feel free to say to ZSx. If you can give ZSx the cash before I can (Next Week) then that set is yours if you want.

KevG

arwilson80
24-11-08, 11:21 AM
You still got these...? :blush:

I know it's been a while.

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-08, 02:07 PM

I didn't think any aftermarket kits were as they are all illegal :police:

HIDs are a bit of a grey area

Andyf
24-11-08, 05:19 PM
They can be E marked but will not be type approved.

Been posted before but here it is again for information.

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

carmadbaker
24-11-08, 05:28 PM
hmm.....may be time to remove them then! DOH!!

KevG
24-11-08, 05:29 PM
To let you all know I never bought ZS's HID Kits, so......

KevG
24-11-08, 05:31 PM
hmm.....may be time to remove them then! DOH!!

I won't, or until somebody from the ministry tells me too.

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-08, 05:33 PM
I've had HID's in both my ZR and ZS for nearly 4 years and not a spot of bother yet

and they're 10K... apparently the ones most likely to get you into bother!

carmadbaker
24-11-08, 05:37 PM
thanks gents :D leaving them on there then :D they work sooo much better, very impressed with them...be gutted to have to remove them :(

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-08, 05:38 PM
I'm never driving a car without them ever again!

ZS
28-11-08, 01:45 PM
Sorry guys not been a good few weeks for me... my life has been turned upside down... but hey I guess life goes on!

I still have one kit left... if it doesn't sell soon then its going to be fitted to a Yellow ZS180 down the road... - but she hasn't got the money for two months...

arwilson80
28-11-08, 02:52 PM
Did you have them on your car, and were you were happy with them?

I'll PM you tonight, as i'll probably (most likely) have them off you if the owner of the yellow ZS doesn't mind. £40 inc P&P?

ZS
28-11-08, 02:55 PM
Did you have them on your car, and were you were happy with them?

I'll PM you tonight, as i'll probably (most likely) have them off you if the owner of the yellow ZS doesn't mind. £40 inc P&P?

I am the owner of the Yellow ZS :p - but I don't drive it around... someone else does! (My Blue one is better)

I did have them on my ZS (and will again one day) but due to money issues I am having to make tons of cutbacks and sell quite a bit of my stuff... unfortunetly!