PDA

View Full Version : What could cause the faults??

mrt_04
04-09-08, 01:30 PM
Friend at work owns a Y Reg Rover 25.
Following problems:

Radio / CD keeps losing power, at the same time `boot open` light illuminates on dash & clock switches off!!!
Has blown several replacement fuses

New exhaust & cat fitted, but engine management light appeared after fitting, was reset by tech???, however has illuminated again!!

Could anyone help out & I will forward info to her...........thanks guys. We are always happy to help out a damsel in distress!!!!!!! :bow:

ZS
04-09-08, 01:48 PM
Friend at work owns a Y Reg Rover 25.
Following problems:

Radio / CD keeps losing power, at the same time `boot open` light illuminates on dash & clock switches off!!!
Has blown several replacement fuses

New exhaust & cat fitted, but engine management light appeared after fitting, was reset by tech???, however has illuminated again!!

Could anyone help out & I will forward info to her...........thanks guys. We are always happy to help out a damsel in distress!!!!!!! :bow:

Sounds like an earth problem... Check the wires from the battery to gearbox and battery to front slam panel, (the later is prone to rusting)

Clean them up with a wire brush and reattach.

Failing that I would get an auto electrician to check Alternator and battery plus check for any shorts (unless she is a dab hand with a multimeter?)

Maxxed_Ross
04-09-08, 02:28 PM
yeah the earth to the chassis from the battery was very dodgy on my old ZR, so I'd point the finger at that first

arwilson80
04-09-08, 02:33 PM
The exhaust i think maybe needs a MIL... Hopefully someone will back me up (or tell me i'm wrong :))

Maxxed_Ross
04-09-08, 02:37 PM
it won't if it's a normal CAT, it will if it's a de-cat and may do if it's a sports cat.

By the post it sounds like it's a straight replacement cat. Unless the mechanic damaged the wires removing it causing a fault

mrt_04
04-09-08, 02:54 PM
Thanks Guys for your help. Normal cat fitted, so suspect cable damage.
Will pass on all info. Thanks once again.
Regards Mike :yes:

stamford
04-09-08, 03:35 PM
Have all these problems come since the exhaust and cat replacement? If so I would be inclined to take it back and inform them of the problems and get them to sort it just incase they have damaged some wiring somewhere. If this is the case then I am baffled as to why the radio etc is blowing fuses unless there is a short somewhere due to poor workmanship?

If it is a case of working out the problems for themselves, then it's a process of elimination and all that.

mrt_04
04-09-08, 04:07 PM
Yeah, she has it sorted Mick. New sensor fitted to cat & found burnt wire on radio.

Thanks for your help chaps :bow: