PDA

View Full Version : loss of power...

pVIRUSq
22-09-08, 07:35 PM
driving home today i noticed something. pulled away from the traffic lights as you do and got to 4th at about 30 when i noticed a loss of power. it was as if it was going to stall, i took my foot of the gas but the car never stopped, the rev counter just went straight back to its normal idle speed. this has happened twice now. i know the next service is well overdue, and i was thinking it could be the spark plugs. any suggestion's ??:no:

carl-mgzs
22-09-08, 08:00 PM
i had this kind of problem once but in all gears and it turned out to be an oxygen sensor

pVIRUSq
22-09-08, 08:06 PM
i had this kind of problem once but in all gears and it turned out to be an oxygen sensor

what is a oxygen sensor, and is it easy to fix ??

carl-mgzs
22-09-08, 08:49 PM
i think there are a couple of oxygen sensors located round the engine...i could be wrong though, dont know easy it is to replace as mine was still under warranty when it went wrong. and i think the oxygen sensor its self is near to a 100 quid to replace

Bobdope2002
22-09-08, 08:54 PM
driving home today i noticed something. pulled away from the traffic lights as you do and got to 4th at about 30 when i noticed a loss of power. it was as if it was going to stall, i took my foot of the gas but the car never stopped, the rev counter just went straight back to its normal idle speed. this has happened twice now. i know the next service is well overdue, and i was thinking it could be the spark plugs. any suggestion's ??:no:

4th at 30mph no bloody wonder

ud be doing at least 1-1500rpm no wonder it wanted to stall ;) try second or 3rd at that speed

XPCobra
22-09-08, 10:06 PM

ud be doing at least 1-1500rpm no wonder it wanted to stall ;) try second or 3rd at that speed

all the petrol cars ive driven can toddle along at 30mph in 5th, including the zs 180

TjP
22-09-08, 11:12 PM
Yeah I do 30mph in 5th all the time, even up slight hills. She'll do 30mph up a rather steep hill in 4th, and does so on a daily basis :)

Ive had something similar once, though it hasnt happened since. It was when I was pulling away from a junction. I never found out what caused it though.

Phate
23-09-08, 12:17 AM
Doing 30 in 5th will cause your engine to labour therefore using more fuel ;)

Wouldn't worry though, it's not asif it's trying to compete with a VW Bluemotion in the MPG race :D

TjP
23-09-08, 12:24 AM
Well mine doesnt labour at 30mph in 5th. You can usually tell/feel if it does. If I try going up a hill, yeah, doesnt like that too much but cruising along a flat is fine. Thats torque for ya :)

Phate
23-09-08, 12:34 AM
Thats torque for ya :)

Indeed

I'm gonna give the V's to the next Honda dealer I go past :p

pVIRUSq
23-09-08, 11:41 AM

please give me some credit, i do know what speeds i can drive my car in each gear and my 180 usually drives very well at 30 in 4th... i aslo now what the car does when the revs are too low for a certain gear. maybe i should have explained myself a little better.... when i was driving at around 30, the car was in 4th for aroud 2 minutes then all of a sudden it felt like it lost power. when i squeezed the gas nothing happened. i was going along a flat road and there was nothing to alter the pressure on the engine....
p.s if you need to be in 2nd gear when you are doing 30 then maybe its your car that needs looking at...

ZS
23-09-08, 12:03 PM
Mine has done this a couple of times... both times I dipped the clutch and revs came back again... Never found out what it was and hasn't happened within the last 6 months!! - Is it possible the clutch didn't engage properly??

pVIRUSq
23-09-08, 04:17 PM
Mine has done this a couple of times... both times I dipped the clutch and revs came back again... Never found out what it was and hasn't happened within the last 6 months!! - Is it possible the clutch didn't engage properly??

i am hoping it is something silly, as i said it has only happened twice. i guess it's just fear of the unknown.

grimmy
23-09-08, 04:47 PM
sounds like a bit of a misfire to me,mines done it once during the recent downpours been fine ever since don't know what caused it though.