PDA

View Full Version : Fitting HID'S

Stuart
23-09-08, 07:08 AM
Hopefully gonna get my finger out and order my hid's on friday, is it true i need the H7R bulbs (mk1 hatch)? what do you folks reckon i should go for? was thinking 6000k? have no real experience in this, i just dont want them to coloured looking but at the same time i dont wanna feel like ive spent the money for nothing!

garys123
23-09-08, 08:23 AM
6000k are the ones to go for anything more will give you a blue light. Hospitals use 6000k bulbs this will give you an idea on what sort of colour you will get and is considered to be the brightest white you can get before going into blue. Im pretty sure that the HR7 bulbs will fit the zed.

Andyf
23-09-08, 05:31 PM
These are the 6000K H7Rs I had on mine to give you an idea. The 8000K look a little too blue IMO

http://a580.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/29/l_51f8cb8d2c7ce46c5c5a792714181ac3.jpg
http://a933.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/113/l_2346c84dc257998e2e4d96634f936cfc.jpg

KevG
23-09-08, 05:46 PM
A Mk1 needs H7R bulbs which is shorter, the Mk2 uses normal H7 type HID bulbs.

The best colour to go for and be "legal" is 6000k, any more and you will be asking for trouble.

Andyf
23-09-08, 06:02 PM
You need H7R's with reflector style lights, I had H7's and when I got it checked it would have failed an MOT, the H7R's were OK however.

KevG
23-09-08, 06:05 PM
You need H7R's with reflector style lights, I had H7's and when I got it checked it would have failed an MOT, the H7R's were OK however.

Rubbish, had mine through 2 MOT's, not failed at all, just the headlamp aim was corrected, and I had H7 type HID bulbs, don't believe everything you read on XPF.

Andyf
23-09-08, 06:30 PM
Rubbish, had mine through 2 MOT's, not failed at all, just the headlamp aim was corrected, and I had H7 type HID bulbs, don't believe everything you read on XPF.

I am talking from experience not what I have read on XPF. I got a set of H7s and the bloke at the garage said, "You've fitted a kit haven't you, the beam pattern is all wrong i've tried adjusting the lights but it wont work"

He then showed me the beam pattern and there was a 'dome' of light above cut off point and he couldn't get below it. He did say some garages may pass it if they looked quickly. I then went back to the same garage with my H7R's and they said they were fine (after adusting the nearside light). A few people have said they passed an MOT with H7s but I wouldn't have, I was just letting people know what I had read on various web sites about the H7R's being designed to be like the D2R HID bulbs used in reflector lenses and what I had experienced myself.
They may have been cheaper bulbs but either way the H7's I had would fail and the H7R would pass.

KevG
23-09-08, 06:37 PM
I am talking from experience not what I have read on XPF. I got a set of H7s and the bloke at the garage said, "You've fitted a kit haven't you, the beam pattern is all wrong i've tried adjusting the lights but it wont work"

He then showed me the beam pattern and there was a 'dome' of light above cut off point and he couldn't get below it. He did say some garages may pass it if they looked quickly. I then went back to the same garage with my H7R's and they said they were fine (after adusting the nearside light). A few people have said they passed an MOT with H7s but I wouldn't have, I was just letting people know what I had read on various web sites about the H7R's being designed to be like the D2R HID bulbs used in reflector lenses and what I had experienced myself.
They may have been cheaper bulbs but either way the H7's I had would fail and the H7R would pass.

I'm not doubting you experience, so what was the difference to your headlamps as to others then, sure you didnt have LHD lamps :lol: ?

Andyf
23-09-08, 06:39 PM
Don't know, may have been poor quality bulbs?

KevG
23-09-08, 06:57 PM
Could have been!, just to let you know that I changed to H7R's with Anti-glare 5000k, and these are good, with an excellent spread of light.

Andyf
23-09-08, 07:02 PM
I swapped back to halogens as I was still not happy with the spread of the light! Tried the H7R's in the main beam but they take too long to warm up.

KevG
23-09-08, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I wont have HID's in the main beam as you stated they take ages to warm up.

carmadbaker
23-09-08, 09:07 PM
take to long to warm up? really? should only be a matter of seconds really.....
sometimes have to question some manufactures and ask yourself if they used the right ballast to give the voltage a kick up the jacksy...i don't think either of you boys would have bought mickey mouse gear tho....
this is not looking promising for the fitment of my HID's :(

KevG
23-09-08, 09:18 PM
...i don't think either of you boys would have bought mickey mouse gear tho....
this is not looking promising for the fitment of my HID's :(

Why?