PDA

View Full Version : ZS 180 questions

malc
11-10-08, 12:50 AM
Hi

I'm looking to buy a 180 hatch and have a few questions.

Is there any difference in handling/roadholding between the mk1 & mk2?

What do the mk1 & 2's have as a spare?

Any particular things/problems I should look out for?

cheers malc

RudeDogg1
11-10-08, 08:54 AM
the only diff i think is the build quality of MK2's aint as good especialy the sound proofing. Im sure the others will tell you more.

My mk1 120 has a space saver steel as a spare so id say they all have that

KevG
11-10-08, 09:18 AM
Hi and Welcome.

tis good if your considering an MG ZS180 especialy in the current economic climate.

As for the differences between the cars, there isnt that much, but in terms of modern looking the Mk2(Facelift Model) it wins it hands down.
As for handling wise, well the 2 cars are the same althought the Facelift model has different width of wheels (7.5') these are not just to look wider but they acutally make the facelift model handle slightly better too.
As for the build quality, MGRover went into a period of cost reduction(Until they went into liquidation) this was called project drive and a lot of items started to disappear in all of the cars built buy MGRover, so things like sound deadening and even not fully painting the shells were part of the cost saving.
As for spare wheels they did come with a full size spare, but it was a cost option and a lot of the cars came from the factory with a Instant Tyre Repair kit (A tin of tyre weld stuff, googles and gloves plus a small air compressor).

The only things to look out for as problems and is well documented on all the MG forums are:
Plenum Chamber Rattles (can be caused by the V.I.S Issues)
V.I.S Problems (both Power and Balence)
Clutch Master and slave Cylinders

Also, the ZS 180 inparticular can if not setup properly have problems with scrubbing the inside of the front tyres, this is due to the suspension geometry and the weight of the heavier(although Lightweight) V6 engine.

These are only the few in not minor problems the car has, it is probably one of the best front wheel drive cars currently on the roads, and has a fantasic suspension setup too, what other car has a double front wishbone type suspension as a production class car, not many!

ZS
11-10-08, 11:06 AM
As for spare wheels they did come with a full size spare, but it was a cost option and a lot of the cars came from the factory with a Instant Tyre Repair kit (A tin of tyre weld stuff, googles and gloves plus a small air compressor).

No ZS ever came with a full size spare as far as I am aware Kev? They had Can-O-Foam or Space Saver wheels... A Full size wheel does not fit in the boot of a ZS!!

Bobdope2002
11-10-08, 12:05 PM
No ZS ever came with a full size spare as far as I am aware Kev? They had Can-O-Foam or Space Saver wheels... A Full size wheel does not fit in the boot of a ZS!!

seconded my Zs has a space saver tyre defo not full size

Steves Cleenz
11-10-08, 01:12 PM
same here Bob, the 17" alloy with standard 205-45-17 does not fit in the boot

KevG
11-10-08, 05:52 PM

Okay, I might have omitted it, the ZS did come with a full size spare, the spare tyre/wheel was a 15' steel rim, 6' width, and with 195/65x15 tyre, it was a standard from 2005 onwards :oops:

Wheels - Spare ----------------------------Cost From To
Instant tyre repair system -------------------Optional Launch Jan 2005
Space saver spare wheel---------------------£50 Launch Jan 2005
Temporary spare wheel----------------------Standard Jan 2005 Now

malc
11-10-08, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've got a 216 GTI twin cam which isn't that great on fuel and I do all my own maintenance so the running costs don't bother me. I just have to have that V6 :smile1:
All I have to do now is find a nice, low mileage, cheap one!

R8NMG
13-10-08, 11:51 AM
Okay, I might have omitted it, the ZS did come with a full size spare, the spare tyre/wheel was a 15' steel rim, 6' width, and with 195/65x15 tyre, it was a standard from 2005 onwards :oops:

Yup indeed a full size steel wheel (not 17") rather than a space saver. But it wasn't 2005 onwards as my 04MY has a full size steel wheel until I swapped it for a space saver.

Glen290
13-10-08, 12:11 PM
I have a spacesaver spare in my boot, only problem is that it dosent fit over my front calipers...doh !

KevG
13-10-08, 01:26 PM
I have a spacesaver spare in my boot, only problem is that it dosent fit over my front calipers...doh !

It is not supposed too!

If you get a puncture on the front, you are supposed to jack the car up, remove one of the rear wheels and transfer it to the front and put the space saver on the rear.

Glen290
13-10-08, 03:08 PM
haha, never thought about that, i called my sister to come and pick me up, feel so dumb now..

Bobdope2002
13-10-08, 04:17 PM

yeh its best to have a 17 inch wheel on the front really considering 154bhp is going through em

malc
18-09-09, 09:26 PM
Well finally managed to find one.

Now the proud owner of a ZS 180 Mk2 hatch in Ignition Blue.

Z Scotland
18-09-09, 10:53 PM
Pleased as punch i bet.:evil:

grimmy
18-09-09, 11:56 PM
Well finally managed to find one.

Now the proud owner of a ZS 180 Mk2 hatch in Ignition Blue.
nice one dude

Maxfly
19-09-09, 10:00 AM
hay hay, nice one noo get some pics up for us tae have a gander:D

stamford
19-09-09, 02:13 PM
Yep, get it posted in members cars :D

malc
22-09-09, 10:53 PM
Pleased as punch i bet.:evil:

Yep chuffed to bits:mml:

Will get some pics up shortly