PDA

View Full Version : Cheap & Easy Car for working on

Maxfly
28-10-08, 02:06 PM
As title says going to have some monies to play with after selling the house so looking to spend a couple of hundred on a wee runabout that would be roadworthy, cheap to run and easy to work on. just fancy something that doesnt drink petrol (or diesel) like i drink pints and i can tinker with as i please:) was thinking metro, mini or even montego or the like:D recommendations and anything spotted for sale would be apprecitated:D

wullie-zs180
28-10-08, 06:00 PM
would you consider a cavvy?

Maxfly
28-10-08, 06:05 PM
would you consider a cavvy?

maybe, never thought bout cavvy's. was thinking more kinda quirky like the monty and that but suppose it would depend on the car and i do like the old cavaliers:)

wullie-zs180
28-10-08, 06:10 PM
the gid old cavvy eh? :happy2:

ma pals got 2 and hes gona be sellin 1 and there both clean with good engines.

Maxfly
28-10-08, 06:11 PM
the gid old cavvy eh? :happy2:

ma pals got 2 and hes gona be sellin 1 and there both clean with good engines.

oh aye, you got any piccies handy, whats engines have they got?? :)

wullie-zs180
28-10-08, 06:22 PM
naw al get sum tho.

1s white m or n reg 2.0 ecotek wi a bit of surface rust (its solid) on the arch. a old mans had it 4 about 5 years.

the others a black 1.8 single point good engine but no much ooooomph lol
both saloons

TjP
28-10-08, 06:26 PM
I've been thinking about getting something to work on myself...

We've got a Cavalier 2.0 16v SRi going to rust on the yard (well, not really rusting but it has flat tyres and could use a daaaamn good wash)! Hasnt seen any use in the last year - cant even remember why! I know it had a major problem that was fixed (costing about £1k - bad move considering the value of the car). I would offer to buy it off Richard, but it would be a bit of an insult to offer a few hundred for it, after that large bill! Also insurance for me on the SRi would probably be too high for a second car at my age.

I dont know why Clarson hates Cavaliers so much, theyre not bad cars IMO.

Craig
28-10-08, 06:30 PM
I had loads of cavvys, a mk2 lx, mk2 lxi, mk2 sri and a mk3 sri. The mk2 sri was seriously fast, dunno what had been done to it but it revved off the clock 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. Great in a straight line but it did have a tendency to not like going round corners lol.

The last shape can look really nice as long as they're not chavved up IMO

Stephen
28-10-08, 06:41 PM
My Montego's up for sale!

Maxfly
28-10-08, 06:46 PM
cheers guys, did notice the monty estate, but think it would be, or should be out of my price range:) mind am wanting this car to be pretty good on the go go juice per gallon:)

Stephen
28-10-08, 07:19 PM
Might not be, Bid and find out!

Stevedx
29-10-08, 11:21 AM
I have an R Reg 420, needs a new starter, but has a few months mot.

Maxfly
29-10-08, 04:31 PM
cheers guys, what mpg would each of the cars do?? :)

Stevedx
29-10-08, 05:13 PM
I dont know, i'll be honest LOL