PDA

View Full Version : The LE 500 is finally here.... and it's crap

Maxxed_Ross
06-11-08, 07:06 AM
Well I got my first drive of the all new TF yesterday... and to be honest it was terrible.

First impressions the car looks great but the paint finish on the wheels didn't look too fantastic. On jumping in the inside feels solid enough and nothing rattles - yet!

Over all it was all very nice, until you get out on the road.

Now I've never driven the old TF, but I have been passenger in a couple and this new one feels much harder on the bumps. But the real problem is the engine. Put the foot down and you expect a fairly brisk take off... but no. It felt slow and heavy. Even revving the nuts off it didn't make much difference

I hope to god there was something wrong with the one I drove, or it's really set to crash and burn in style as soon as the reviewers get hold of it :wall:

If anyone else wants to have a look at it, Morrisons Seat in Stirling have it hidden round the back

meat-and-gravy
06-11-08, 07:13 AM
oh dear!!! I kinda expected that kind of response but was hoping it wouldnt be that bad!

skyblueads
06-11-08, 08:55 AM
I was impressed with the one I drove, OK, the 135ps is a little light, but I still thought it was good. Quality felt much improved over the MG-R TFs I've driven. I thought the Piano black finish was smart and the amount of kit for the money is superb. Having said all that I still prefer my BGT to it!

garys123
06-11-08, 09:08 AM
I cant comment on the driving style or how it handles but i have seen one in the flesh and i was impressed on the finish inside the car it felt solid and was well arranged. I would of thought that they would of wanted a drivers car as this is the first car they are bringing out as the new MG.

Bobdope2002
06-11-08, 10:00 AM
its just a re shelled TF from late 05 so IMO no difference other than the mashed up numper and the powdercoated wheels

skyblueads
06-11-08, 11:44 AM
No, it's not mate. OK, the only cosmetic changes are to the front bumper, and some new clock inside, however it's had the top end of the engine significantly reworked to put the HGF issue to bed, and the suspension set up has been revised from the last MGR models. Drive two back to back and you will notice the difference.

The new TF actually has softer suspension than the MG-R TF as it's now equipped as standard with what MG-R called the 'comfort pack'

Maxfly
06-11-08, 07:20 PM
maybe it will get livelier once the engine frees up after a few miles bedding in??

dave87
06-11-08, 07:52 PM
could it not just be you are more used to more powerful cars these days. I suspect if you went back to your previous zr you would think similar thoughts. no?

mattie007
06-11-08, 07:55 PM
I would say that is the case. Im used to the 120 so the 135 would certainly feel brisk!

Fudgepacker
06-11-08, 10:35 PM
sorry you wont ever catch me in a car like that i feel its a bit of a womans car or if your gay a hairdressers car but did like the colour and i want the wheels of em

DeMoNPauL
07-11-08, 12:59 AM
I can agree with alot of the posts but it does look nice in white

stamford
07-11-08, 07:26 AM
A bit baffled here, thought the LE500 was only made available in that one orange colour?

Does look better in white.

skyblueads
07-11-08, 08:02 AM
No, the LE500 is available in red, white, orange, blue, black and grey. The intense orange is an LE500 only colour. One of the others is LE500 only too, I think it might be black.

http://mg-uk.co.uk/tf/colour-options/

arwilson80
07-11-08, 08:38 AM
Are the new TF wheels the same fitting as the current 180 wheels? I can see a good market for them if they are... :)

Maxxed_Ross
07-11-08, 11:23 AM
no they are a smaller PCD

arwilson80
07-11-08, 11:28 AM
I thought as much... :) That'd be too easy & convenient.

Maxxed_Ross
07-11-08, 11:35 AM
my biggest wish was that the ZT 18" hairpins would fit... but no they had to make them 5 stud! Grrr!

skyblueads
07-11-08, 12:40 PM
I'd like to put ZT Gridspokes on my ZS, same problem though! :sad: