PDA

View Full Version : have you got a metal 5-litre oil can that you can let me have?

Halski
09-11-08, 02:47 PM
for one of my science experiments I need several of the 5 litre Castrol type oil cans - they must be metal with a screw top - has anyone got one in the garage to give me? I will pay for postage of course, or if they are full of uasable oil, I will buy the can from you - if not does anyone know where I can buy them? Halfords sell them full of oil but its 20W 50 so I would have to throw the oil away and its £17.99 and I need about 4-5....

thanks for any help you can offer

weagie
09-11-08, 08:57 PM
four or five empty oil cans for an experiment? Sounds ominous!

arwilson80
09-11-08, 09:50 PM
four or five empty oil cans for an experiment? Sounds ominous!

..but fun. ;)

Halski
10-11-08, 08:14 AM
its a lot of fun - you boil some water in the can for 5 mins to fill it with water vapour. Then screw the lid on - put it into cold water and the water vapour turns to liquid which occupies much less space in the can so it creates a vacuum which collapses the can....spectacular

arwilson80
10-11-08, 08:49 AM
Awww... that all. I was hoping for something more spectacular. Say 'fireworks' and stuff... :whistle:

...and "Yes" i've been called a 'pyro-maniac'. :blush:

RalphG
10-11-08, 04:51 PM
I've got a couple of 205L oil barrels if you want them. It would be impressive to see the vacuum collapse one of these.