PDA

View Full Version : Buyer's Guide

MG mad
10-11-08, 09:18 PM
Hi guys,
I've decided it might just be time to start looking at buying a ZS, with the exchange rate as it is and the current cost of the cars I might just be able to afford one :)

Only problem is personally viewing one is expensive... but I have a few friends a bit more local than me who are willing to look over them for me, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a buyer's guide or can list the important points to look at that I can point them at?

EDIT: forgot to mention, will be looking at a MK2 ZS 180 saloon.

Cheers
Andy

stamford
11-11-08, 07:22 AM
HPI background check on vehicles history to ensure there is no outstanding finance still on it.
Check cars history to ensure what you are looking at is a clean straight car with no previous insurance work which may be hidden to sell it. Typical are category D and C where they have been deemed repairable, if this doesn't bother you just make sure the work has been carried out correctly and to the insurance companies standards.
Service history all present and correct, if done privately, is it owned by an enthusiast?
On mk2's check the bodykit is all in good condition and fitted well.
Underside of car, check for surface rust, mk2's tend to suffer as there was less underseal used, especially the fuel tank, can be cured mind.
Check for tyre wear, usual on these but could be a bargining point if worn or indeed cheap replacements fitted.
Check engine for signs of noise, generally bulletproof but could be prone to a faulty vis unit giving the impression it is tappety.
If aiming for a mk2 then mileage should be low, but remember any car which is 6 years old or coming up to 90k miles will be needing the cambelts done, budget from £500 upwards for this.
Check for amount of modifications done, if any, as some will be worth it, so don't shy away if it has some. Could save you alot of money later on as some tuning parts can be expensive if you need to import them.
Check clutch engagement, smooth operation etc, check the slave and bracket, again quality replacements are at hand from other forum members.
Check boot/hatch floor for leaks, especially the hatch version. On saloon models does the boot open alright?
If you know someone with an OBDII reader it may pay to plug this in just to see if any codes are thrown up.
Check exhaust system, is this standard or a quality stainless replacement? Would pay to get a stainless one fitted if you intend to import one.
Check induction, OE fine, open cone in engine bay a no no, ideally enclosed system or open cone positioned within the inner wing.
Check dash lights for ABS and airbags, again the ODBII reader can check this if any lights fail to extinguish, could be a poor under seat connector.
I'm sure there are others to add, but it is early for me to be thinking!

MG mad
11-11-08, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that, much appreciated :) Biggest concern for me is going to be trying to find a low rust car so that it gets through the border control people...

MG mad
03-12-08, 09:25 AM
*sigh* My ZS plans have hit a temporary snag, caused by lack of money, itself caused by buying airline tickets to the UK for June next year... :( oh well. By my rough calcs, should have saved enough to afford one again in about 9 months. Saving for a house, whats that? ;)

stamford
03-12-08, 09:41 AM
Why on earth do you want to come here! :laugh: Hope you have a big enough case for when you go back ;)

Where are you heading for?

MG mad
04-12-08, 12:48 AM
Hopefully doing MGCC Silverstone and a few other things, also with the possibility of me getting a job there when I graduate (again) means the missus wants to see what it's like before potentially moving there...

We'll be driving around in Dad's UK based Midget, so won't be much room for anything... But, by then should have nearly enough for a ZS so might have to inspect a couple in person :)

stamford
04-12-08, 07:22 AM
Well, if you find your way near Hampshire give us a shout ;)