PDA

View Full Version : Engine kaput

marts66
11-11-08, 03:00 PM
Hi all,

after 44k my HG has finally gone and the peeps who are doing it say that the head has melted and there is a good chance the block also. Therefore i need a new engine, anyone know where there is a 1.8 somewhere near newcastle?

yours, incredibly p****d off,

marts

grimmy
11-11-08, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear that news, that is a sickener, i hope someone can help you out quickly.

RalphG
11-11-08, 03:44 PM
If the block has "melted", then you engine must have got seriously hot. There should have been some sort of warning (temperature gauge, MIL, rough running, lack of power, etc.).

Normally what happens when the engine gets hot is that the rings from the head gasket impress themselves into the head, due to the head going soft. If this happens then you will need to replace the head.

stamford
11-11-08, 03:49 PM
I would strongly suggest a second opinion, they may be touting for work. As Ralph as already mentioned, to write the block off would mean excessive heat caused by continual engine cycles with no coolant, normally done when racing when you don't want to lose places, not on a road car. The first sign of rough running, steam and a xmas dashboard we would normally park up and switch off.

marts66
11-11-08, 04:21 PM
I had a slight coolant loss from the heater tap, but i kept on top of that. i have had rough running from cold for some time but it always cleared after a short time. when it went i had travelled about 4 miles from cold and it started to run rough so i drove for about 1-2 miles further and then it cut out altogether, then the aa recovered it. at no time had the gauge gone above normal running temp and it was never driven with no or little coolant. the garage is well known to me and pretty trustworthy, so i'm stumped. i don't think he'd lie to me but is adamant that my engine is unrepairable.

thanks for all your support though, much appreciated.

carl-mgzs
11-11-08, 06:01 PM
get a second opinion off someone you can trust, my head gasket went at 49 000 miles and only cost me 300 (along with having my cambelt done at same time) to get sorted!

Fudgepacker
11-11-08, 10:08 PM
there is a mg braker up north i think ill get the address for ya we got a 1.6 that was cheap and the engine is tight we put it in our mk1 zs and sold it for 4000

DeMoNPauL
12-11-08, 02:09 AM
Hi all,

after 44k my HG has finally gone and the peeps who are doing it say that the head has melted and there is a good chance the block also. Therefore i need a new engine, anyone know where there is a 1.8 somewhere near newcastle?

yours, incredibly p****d off,

marts

Marts go here - http://teamvalleylandrover.co.uk/

I guarantee you they will tell you the truth about your problems.

If you want to contact me send me a Private Message.

Maxxed_Ross
12-11-08, 07:27 AM
stick a T series turbo in it!

ZS
12-11-08, 07:38 AM
I replaced a Head Gasket on a friend Rover 200 Vi for £70... :p

Am currently Rebuilding a Rover 45 Engine (replacing pistons etc) at a cost of £300 :)

OK so I'm only charging my friends for the parts, but it just goes to show how much you actually spend on Labour!

The 45 is a 1.8K and the Valves in the head have been replaced, from the damage I would suggest this engine got really hot (see other thread for damage) but the engine and block both are salvageable and I intend to have the car running again within the next week or so (depending how much overtime I put in at work)

If you take a car to a Main Dealer they will look at XPart prices for a lot of the parts, (pistons £75 each, Liners £70 each) which means replacing the pistons in an engine is more expensive than replacing the engine... so they will write off the block.

For reference, famousfour.co.uk (Landrover parts distributor) will do a short engine for £600 (IIRC) and will supply all the parts you want at Landrover prices so a lot cheaper :)

marts66
12-11-08, 08:36 AM
Marts go here - http://teamvalleylandrover.co.uk/

I guarantee you they will tell you the truth about your problems.

If you want to contact me send me a Private Message.

I see you've got rid of the red one then, i met you some time ago at a meet we had near the penshaw monument. i took some photos of all the cars if you remember, black 120 saloon??? The car is actually at a garage in the team valley at the mo and i'm due to go down either thursday pm or friday to have a look at this engine before i decide what to do, bi=ut i think i'll contact landrover and ask them for their opinion. have also contacted a few people who have had experience of the k series and noone has ever heard of this before, will let you all know, cheers again, marts

papa_lazaroo
12-11-08, 01:18 PM
I would defo get a 2nd opinion Mate, I would have thought that before the block melts the liners would come away from the block and you'd know if that happened, unless you had the stereo turned way up.

They may be wrong !

There is a complete engine and Box on e-bay at the moment, didn't get the item number sorry.

DeMoNPauL
12-11-08, 03:31 PM
I see you've got rid of the red one then, i met you some time ago at a meet we had near the penshaw monument. i took some photos of all the cars if you remember, black 120 saloon??? The car is actually at a garage in the team valley at the mo and i'm due to go down either thursday pm or friday to have a look at this engine before i decide what to do, bi=ut i think i'll contact landrover and ask them for their opinion. have also contacted a few people who have had experience of the k series and noone has ever heard of this before, will let you all know, cheers again, marts

How did i forget that lol.

The Red Zed was taken out by a white van man In West Boldon.

How are you doing?

marts66
12-11-08, 04:03 PM
How did i forget that lol.

The Red Zed was taken out by a white van man In West Boldon.

How are you doing?

apart from being car less at the moment, not too bad, i'm working on your side of the river at the moment in nissan so getting to work in the morning is a bit problematic at the moment. i like the look of the new one you've got, will keep my eye out for you when i'm back out on my jollies and maybe hook up at some time.

marts

DeMoNPauL
13-11-08, 02:09 AM
I sent you a email but mnot sure if its still alive.

If it dont come up its about North east meets which you can keep up on if you check out the North East sections on the

http://www.themgzr.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

And the

http://forums.mg-rover.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48