PDA

View Full Version : Auto dimming rear mirror

papa_lazaroo
18-11-08, 12:17 PM
I have just borrowed (Read Stolen) a Nissan Qashqai rear dipping mirror from a car to be scraped, and apart from the metal mounting point on the windscreen, being different to the ZS mounting, I think it should be fairly easy to fit and wire in.

I have seen the link for the TF mirror fitment, but has anyone fitted an auto dimming mirror yet?

chriszs180
18-11-08, 01:47 PM
fitted as standard on a st..........
only prob is at night when they dim you cant really see the car behind so if its old plod you cant tell until he puts his lights on and with the rear spoiler it would be very hard to see behind..

papa_lazaroo
18-11-08, 03:03 PM
With my Rear spoiler I have no Idea who is there anyway, I do have a rear camera now, so I can see plod if I switch it on.

stripey
18-11-08, 08:02 PM
I have just fitted one and they are easy to do - I put an extra bracket on the windscreen because I couldn't get the original one off. Mine is a standard Gentex basic model and is currently working well.

I agree about the not seeing the cars behind because of the spoiler but it's not always at the right height to cut out the glare and have only had plod behind me once - not after me thankfully.

I didn't do the wiring though - left that to someone who knew what they were doing...

papa_lazaroo
19-11-08, 11:29 AM
When My Missus stops giving me jobs around the house to do (Maintenance jobs, not hoovering) I'll get around to do it. I'll try to get photo's and post a "how to"

Mat C
19-11-08, 05:07 PM
Auto dipping mirrors; Auto wipers; Auto headlamps. Have we really reached the point in driving where electronics has to do these basic tasks for us ? What exactly is the problem with pushing the tab under the mirror to dip it ? Why do we need electronics to tell us it's raining and dark ? If your eyes aren't good enough for the job, get off the road !
And now we have the latest thing - park assist and crash avoidance. Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the whole idea of a driving test was to judge if we can avoid accidents and park our cars. So if people need these pointless systems then they really should consider if they should still be driving.

Maxxed_Ross
19-11-08, 05:44 PM
...And now we have the latest thing - park assist and crash avoidance. Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the whole idea of a driving test was to judge if we can avoid accidents and park our cars. So if people need these pointless systems then they really should consider if they should still be driving.

I'll remind you of that when some old lady pulls out infront of you then :nugget:

Granted I can't see the point in auto lights and wipers myself, but anything that makes life a little bit safer can only be a good thing :smile1:

Mat C
19-11-08, 06:02 PM
I don't agree. It breeds complacancy and complacancy is what causes the accidents in the 1st place. Switching lights on is a routine that every driver should be capable of achieving, as is parking. When these things are done for us we get complacant and lazy. When the system breaks down and we wonder why 50 cars are flashing their headlamps because yours aren't turned on due to an electrical fault and then the articulated lorry that didn't see you wipes you and your loved ones out, are they a good thing ? I think not. We are drivers, not driven.

stripey
19-11-08, 06:55 PM
I don't agree. It breeds complacancy and complacancy is what causes the accidents in the 1st place. Switching lights on is a routine that every driver should be capable of achieving, as is parking. When these things are done for us we get complacant and lazy. When the system breaks down and we wonder why 50 cars are flashing their headlamps because yours aren't turned on due to an electrical fault and then the articulated lorry that didn't see you wipes you and your loved ones out, are they a good thing ? I think not. We are drivers, not driven.

I fully appreciate what you are saying Mat - I am not a fan of the auto light systems because I fell foul of it myself - got flashed so many times I thought I was famous.

The auto dimming rear mirror is great though - then you don't forget to flick it back up and miss the fact that the Rozzers are catching you up.

papa_lazaroo
20-11-08, 08:30 AM
So Mat, have you disconected your PAS then, and fitted manual window winders. You could even disconnect the heated rear screen and stop every 5 minutes, climb in the back and wipe it with a Rag.

the reason I want an auto dipping mirror is that I do 180 miles a day comuuting, and most of that is M1 and M6, I am sick of either foreign lorries dazzling me, or worse, some numpty who has badly converted their headlights to HID's and has thme set wrong, so it's like being chased by a blooming welder.

Maxxed_Ross
21-11-08, 06:41 AM
or worse, some numpty who has badly converted their headlights to HID's and has them set wrong, so it's like being chased by a blooming welder.

quote of the week right there :thumbsup:

I totally agree dude