PDA

View Full Version : HIDs for Christmas

arwilson80
28-11-08, 09:40 AM
... i'm thinking about (and about 95% decided on) getting a set of these and fitting them over the holidays.

I've been looking at the ones here (http://hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html) (first (£65) and last (50w - £80) ones). Anyone bought from them or can suggest somewhere else that they've bought from that are a s good / better?

PS - I'd prefer not to buy off eBay if possible, but if they are reputable and have 100% positive feedback i'll consider.

Maxxed_Ross
28-11-08, 10:03 AM
Almost the same kit as I have buddy, and I love them

Good price too

I would say go for about 6 - 8k. 6 will look almost standard but a bit brighter and 8k will be a fair bit brighter and a bit more white.

I have 10k fitted to my car which are very bright and slightly blue - but in the 4 years of having them I've never had any bother with the police or MOT.

Only advice I can give is once fitted knock the headlight adjuster down two places. I found running them on normal or 1 slot down I occasionally got flashed by folk at night due to the extra brightness

arwilson80
28-11-08, 10:38 AM
Yeah, it'd be the 6k i'd be going for.

Am i right saying that MOT only checks beam pattern / height and not intensity.

Maxxed_Ross
28-11-08, 10:46 AM
normally. I had to ask them to check mine as they weren't going to bother with it

arwilson80
28-11-08, 10:56 AM
That's what i thought, but better to check and make sure. :)

Maxxed_Ross
28-11-08, 11:16 AM
best thing you can do to a car IMO if you do alot of night driving. I'm never driving a car at night without them ever again!

When I went from the ZR to the ZS before I had a chance to swap the HIDs over you remember how crappy the standard lights really are

midcuk
28-11-08, 11:26 AM
got mine from here they are class

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Car-Mod-Shop

make sure you specify h7r though

arwilson80
28-11-08, 11:38 AM
make sure you specify h7r though

H7R - Aren't those only required for the MKI though?

Stuart
28-11-08, 12:08 PM
H7R - Aren't those only required for the MKI though?

Yeah from the advice i got when i was buying mine you only need h7r's for the Mk1, it seems like HID's are a great mod for the Mk2 i just wish mine were any good on my Mk1 they hardly light the road up at all only about 3metres infront of the car, and i dont think there too high (never had any1 flash me) but they do light a white reflective traffic sign up bright from about 3miles away! i was really dissapointed with mine, they do look great though.

midcuk
28-11-08, 12:12 PM
i was advised h7r for both types, more likely to be less illegal if you know what i mean.

Andyf
28-11-08, 12:44 PM
H7R's have a shield over the bulb and are designed to replicate the D2R bulbs used in cars with reflector style headlights (rather than projectors). When I had my H7 HIDs they would have failed an MOT but the H7R's were fine.
I got rid of mine and got some Phillips Power Xtreme which are brilliant, not quite as good as HID's but not bad at all.

midcuk
28-11-08, 01:19 PM
H7R's have a shield over the bulb and are designed to replicate the D2R bulbs used in cars with reflector style headlights (rather than projectors). When I had my H7 HIDs they would have failed an MOT but the H7R's were fine.
I got rid of mine and got some Phillips Power Xtreme which are brilliant, not quite as good as HID's but not bad at all.

i went the other way had nightbreakers but switched for hids as they seemed to dazzle drivers where as hids are fine

arwilson80
28-11-08, 01:42 PM
When I had my H7 HIDs they would have failed an MOT but the H7R's were fine.

What would the H7's have failed on? Beam pattern or something else?

ZS
28-11-08, 01:43 PM
... i'm thinking about (and about 95% decided on) getting a set of these and fitting them over the holidays.

I've been looking at the ones here (http://hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html) (first (£65) and last (50w - £80) ones). Anyone bought from them or can suggest somewhere else that they've bought from that are a s good / better?

PS - I'd prefer not to buy off eBay if possible, but if they are reputable and have 100% positive feedback i'll consider.

One kit still for sale ;) http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=5152

Andyf
28-11-08, 03:04 PM
What would the H7's have failed on? Beam pattern or something else?

Beam pattern, they had big dome of light above the cut off point. The H7Rs were much better, you could tell the difference while driving as the H7Rs had crisp cut off of light where as the the H7's lit up everything, you could see the light bouncing off road signs miles away and every single cats eye would be lit.
Others don't seem to have had a problem with the H7s though so I don't know why I did.

Maxxed_Ross
28-11-08, 03:53 PM
they might have been fitted at a slight angle or not adjusted correctly

As I said I need to knock my adjuster down a bit for the perfect results

Andyf
28-11-08, 04:29 PM
The mechanic tried adjusting them for quite a while to get the beam pattern right but they would not go below the cut off point. They had to adjust one of the lights with the H7R's as it was a bit high but other than that they were fine.