PDA

View Full Version : saloon v hatchback

afcbadam
01-12-08, 10:56 PM
i have now owned both and have noticed that the dash board in the saloon (mk1) seems to be smaller/thinner that the hatch???? does this also mean there is more leg room in the back??? is the hatch any quicker as the saloon is a tad heavier??

Maxxed_Ross
02-12-08, 06:36 AM
as far as I know the inside on both cars is exactly the same and it's just from the rear seats back that it is different... I might be wrong though

papa_lazaroo
02-12-08, 07:06 AM
The Platform is the same, so chassis and body (Upto the rear axle).

R8NMG
02-12-08, 11:25 AM
I have previously owned a mk1 ZS120 hatch and driven a mk1 ZS120 saloon and of course now own a mk2 ZS180 saloon. Legroom wise there is not much difference that I can tell. But the boot is way bigger in terms of depth in the saloon. Comparing only the 120, I find the saloon abit slouchy and it confirms the slowness with my unscientific 0-60 time.

RalphG
02-12-08, 04:38 PM
The body shells are identical from the rear doors forward, so there is no difference in the dash layout between saloons and hatchbacks. The hatchback is more aerodynamic, so it will be slightly faster in a straight line.

The saloon has a stiffer body shell, so is a better base for a track car without a roll cage. Fitting a roll cage negates the difference in body stiffness.

R8NMG
02-12-08, 06:23 PM
Just had a quick look at the ZS brouchure and the saloon has a 0.02m more rear legroom than the hatch. 0.83m vs 0.85m min.

shroonie29
02-12-08, 06:39 PM
15.5cm difference in length,looks more though

rentonj
02-12-08, 07:52 PM
I bought the hatch as the boot is higher when you remove the parcel shelf so I can get the kids bikes in the back. My son also does gokarting and I can get his gokart in with the back seats down, although I have to remove the side pods and rear bumper to get it in. For me the hatch has most practicality and is great fun to drive when the family aren't with me.