PDA

View Full Version : 180 reliability / servicing / maintanence

rozzr
16-12-08, 12:12 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking to PX my zr 105 in for a mk1 zs - probabally an 02/03 model with no more than 50k on the clocks.

I just want to know how reliable they are, how are servicing costs and repairs and maintanence - is it easy to get parts, does work cost much, etc?

Thanks for any info and advice on the topic.

Rory

stamford
16-12-08, 12:31 PM
I've had mine nearly 4 years and I am the second owner and done approximately 36k miles in it. In that time I have repaired a vis valve (circa £55 if required new) replaced the plenum (common fault and around the £500 to replace) and fitting an oil catch tank helps longetivity. Other than that just needed the routine maintenance and wear parts replaced during that time. Front tyres tend to get eaten up pretty quick, just make sure the tracking is spot on and rotate the wheels as best you can.

Cambelt replacement is a big one, 90k or 6 years whatever is the soonest, budget for between £450-900 depending upon where you go.

arwilson80
16-12-08, 01:06 PM
^^ What Mick says...

They are generally very reliable. I have put about 35k miles (out of 65k) on mine in about 22 months and all i've had to do is tyres, oil / filter change (every 6k miles by personal choice), and fitted an oil catch tank.

The only 1 think that i can think of that Stamford didn't mention was that the clutch bracket is quite prone to bend / snap but 'Sheddist' has a well spoken of kit that people have used.

XPCobra
16-12-08, 01:49 PM
thermostat housings leak too,

At the end of the day its a car its bound to break

stamford
16-12-08, 02:13 PM
Clutch................not mentioned as mine is still on the same one! bracket, slave and assembly!

XPCobra
16-12-08, 03:53 PM
Clutch................not mentioned as mine is still on the same one! bracket, slave and assembly!

I'll be removing mine soon, do you want me to keep them aside for you :p

stamford
16-12-08, 06:58 PM
I'll be removing mine soon, do you want me to keep them aside for you :p

What? now I have given it the kiss of death! :laugh:

Probably right there!

talkingcars
16-12-08, 07:41 PM
If you are clever you'll get one that has had the cambelts done, when I bought mine it was just on 6 years so I asked them to service it as part of the deal knowing he proberbly wouldn't know it was such a big job, however they also did the water pump as it is a recomended part of the service.

In the year since I got it (at 56K) I've had a new centre pipe (proberbly me giving it too many beans after a gentle PO), new brake caliper as one was sticking (I did the pads and discs as it had knackered one) and had problems caused by bolt failure on the intermetiate drive shaft but that is highly unusual.

I paid just over £300 recently for a full service, MOT, 2 tyres and brake fluid change after 14k and 1 year of ownership.