PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust time - which one?

Phate
27-12-08, 02:28 PM
Right,

It's time to decide on an exhaust.

Going to go for a catback system and decat main choices are...

Janspeed
Xpower
Piper
Scorpion

My main concern here is performance - obviously sound is another but whatever goes on it its going to sound better than standard ;)

So, for an against for each brands please? :)

What would you go for if it was you?

I'm leaning towards Scorpion due to hearing Murrays on Sunday and almost nursing a semi over it. :mml:

EDIT: If anyone can provide examples of their exhausts along with specs that'll be great :D

talkingcars
27-12-08, 03:44 PM
Is it worth doing this if you're changing cars anyway?

Phate
27-12-08, 04:04 PM
Is it worth doing this if you're changing cars anyway?

If it fits on zed it'll fit another

afcbadam
27-12-08, 04:41 PM
im about to do the exhaust route. i will be going with janspeed manis decat and cat back and put the cat back in for an mot.
looking at the janspeed website im not sure if there manifold kit come with the Y peice though. can anybody confirm?

afcbadam
27-12-08, 04:48 PM
having had a closer look. they do come with the y peice

RalphG
28-12-08, 10:38 PM
TBH the only parts of the exhaust system that give any change in performance are the manifolds and the cat. There is very little choice in terms of off the shelf manifolds - Janspeed and H&S are the only two that I'm aware of.

There is more choice for the cat. You also have the choice of sports cat and the so-called cat bypass.

peterzs
28-12-08, 11:07 PM
Hi Jake,

Powerflow back box and stainless pipe, back to the de-cat box £250.00. It made that funny shhwisssh, shhwissssh, noise as it went down the pit straight at Brands, and you still consider Murrays??? It was doing 5,000 plus revs at the time.

I think I'll have to get a flashy helmet like yours must be good for a few more mph.:smile1::smile1::smile1::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Phate
28-12-08, 11:42 PM
TBH the only parts of the exhaust system that give any change in performance are the manifolds and the cat. There is very little choice in terms of off the shelf manifolds - Janspeed and H&S are the only two that I'm aware of.

There is more choice for the cat. You also have the choice of sports cat and the so-called cat bypass.

Ralph, I may very well be going to full hog. Mums decided to give me 'half' for the exhaust and Dad the other half, so If I save the extra I could do the manis as well :)

How much for Janspeed mani's?

Phate
28-12-08, 11:43 PM
Hi Jake,

Powerflow back box and stainless pipe, back to the de-cat box £250.00. It made that funny shhwisssh, shhwissssh, noise as it went down the pit straight at Brands, and you still consider Murrays??? It was doing 5,000 plus revs at the time.

I think I'll have to get a flashy helmet like yours must be good for a few more mph.:smile1::smile1::smile1::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Haha, I couldn't really hear anything to be honest mate. I had the helmet on and the windows wound down abit so couldn't hear many cars, only as I overtook them :p

lol - I only have that as I used to go out on the bike a lot with Dad - have had it for years. Didn't buy it just for that day :shifty:

28-12-08, 11:54 PM
How much for Janspeed mani's?

£377

http://www.janspeedshop.co.uk/c5205_1048_1125_7039.htm

wilko66
29-12-08, 08:06 AM
Right,

It's time to decide on an exhaust.

Going to go for a catback system and decat main choices are...

Janspeed
Xpower
Piper
Scorpion

I'm leaning towards Scorpion due to hearing Murrays on Sunday and almost nursing a semi over it. :mml:

Only almost!!!!:bounce:...............Go for ever one you want bud, everyone has their own view, but I do agree Murry's sounds awsome:clap2:

Murray203ps
29-12-08, 11:30 AM
Yeah Jake go for what you want. Don't get narrowed towards mine just because of the track day. Any exhaust will sound much better than the standard one and if your going to get the mannis as well it will sound fantastic.:yes:(shouts out in huge jealousy)

Have a look at all aspects(which i'm sure you've done)Price, size of tail pipe, shape of tail pipe etc.

Good luck.

garys123
29-12-08, 12:34 PM
thats a good price for the manifolds from janspeed definaltly worth considering.

Phate
29-12-08, 02:04 PM
Decided.

Going to go all Janspeed - Full system - mani's, the lot :D:D :mml: :mml: :mml:

Time to send a message to Ralph :D

peterzs
29-12-08, 08:00 PM
Decided.

Going to go all Janspeed - Full system - mani's, the lot :D:D :mml: :mml: :mml:

Time to send a message to Ralph :D

Looks like a good New Year for you then, looking forward to hearing the set up.:clap2::clap2::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phate
29-12-08, 08:47 PM
It'll be a loud one Pete ;)

I'll do a before and after vid oh yes :D

chriszs180
30-12-08, 05:57 PM
i'll give you the number to gary at piper if you want and you can see what they can do for you as well i.e price and system
they are very good to deal with but wont fit a decat unless it is legal......
but they will give you it to fit...

peterzs
30-12-08, 06:09 PM
i'll give you the number to gary at piper if you want and you can see what they can do for you as well i.e price and system
they are very good to deal with but wont fit a decat unless it is legal......
but they will give you it to fit...

I see Chris is after his commission already.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Phate
30-12-08, 07:22 PM
Haha.

Thanks Chris - but I'm gonna do it Janspeed, got my heart set on them now :)

stamford
30-12-08, 07:32 PM
Good choice, however the others are still a good buy. My Janspeed as been trouble free for over 3 years now. Manis are my next item to purchase due to 'failing' quality of the OE ones ;)

"My dear I just got under the car to check the exhaust and my front pipes are knackered" :whistle:

Phate
30-12-08, 07:59 PM
"My dear I just got under the car to check the exhaust and my front pipes are knackered" :whistle:

"And because you cannot get originals any more, performance upgrades it will have to be, what a shame"

:D

Maxxed_Ross
30-12-08, 08:02 PM
the oldest trick in the book. My dad does that every time his car gets serviced to sneak new bits on

SimonMGZS
30-12-08, 08:03 PM
i have still got my originals that i took off my car and sorry i am not going to sell them as i have already been asked this by somebody else.

the full janspeed exhaust has been on my car since june 2005 and is stiil ok with no problems and i still love the sound of it even more so when you go through a tunnel and open it up

Phate
30-12-08, 08:05 PM
i have still got my originals that i took off my car and sorry i am not going to sell them as i have already been asked this by somebody else.

the full janspeed exhaust has been on my car since june 2005 and is stiil ok with no problems and i still love the sound of it even more so when you go through a tunnel and open it up

Dude, your only in Colchester. Could I please please please come and have a look/listen to it?

Maybe a ride in the car to see what it sounds like when under load/booting it?

You'd be brilliant if you could!

Thanks,
Jake

stamford
30-12-08, 08:07 PM
"And because you cannot get originals any more, performance upgrades it will have to be, what a shame"

:D

NO! not performance upgrades..................stainless steel replacements, lifetime guarantee ;)

Phate
30-12-08, 08:10 PM
NO! not performance upgrades..................stainless steel replacements, lifetime guarantee ;)

:sly:

SimonMGZS
30-12-08, 08:18 PM
Dude, your only in Colchester. Could I please please please come and have a look/listen to it?

Maybe a ride in the car to see what it sounds like when under load/booting it?

You'd be brilliant if you could!

Thanks,
Jake

i cant see why not

when would you like to have a listen to it as i need to know so i can get the car out of storage

when are you having your exhaust done?

Phate
30-12-08, 08:30 PM
i cant see why not

when would you like to have a listen to it as i need to know so i can get the car out of storage

when are you having your exhaust done?

I'm pending a quote, so a couple of weeks yet at least.

When is good for you dude? I'm only in Brentwood next door to the A12 so 20ish minutes from Colchester :)

col180
30-12-08, 08:33 PM
fitting janspeed decat this weekend:) after reading this post am tempted to get the manifolds as well!lol what sort of power gains are avaliable?

SimonMGZS
30-12-08, 08:34 PM
I'm pending a quote, so a couple of weeks yet at least.

When is good for you dude? I'm only in Brentwood next door to the A12 so 20ish minutes from Colchester :)

well i was looking to get the car out again about the end of jan begining of feb as i need to use it for a while before it goes for the mot

will this be ok?

Phate
30-12-08, 08:37 PM
well i was looking to get the car out again about the end of jan begining of feb as i need to use it for a while before it goes for the mot

will this be ok?

Yeh could be.

It all depends how well the current work keeps up really. If it keeps like it is it'll be fitted and running by then, if not, postponed. Could meet up anyway :D

Why is the Zed in storage if you don't mind me asking?

SimonMGZS
30-12-08, 08:42 PM
Yeh could be.

It all depends how well the current work keeps up really. If it keeps like it is it'll be fitted and running by then, if not, postponed. Could meet up anyway :D

Why is the Zed in storage if you don't mind me asking?

well during the winter months i have always taken the car off the road as i try to keep the grit free which rot the it away even quicker and the only time that it does get used is the summer months when i take it car shows and make loads of noise with it.

Phate
30-12-08, 08:53 PM
well during the winter months i have always taken the car off the road as i try to keep the grit free which rot the it away even quicker and the only time that it does get used is the summer months when i take it car shows and make loads of noise with it.

Ah good stuff. I'd love to do this, but I'd miss it too much lol

When your car is out I'll have to take some pictures of it, if it's a show car :) *dubs photographers gear*

SimonMGZS
31-12-08, 12:30 PM
Ah good stuff. I'd love to do this, but I'd miss it too much lol

When your car is out I'll have to take some pictures of it, if it's a show car :) *dubs photographers gear*

it is not much has been done on it externally but it has had some changes internally mainly the sound system

also has been featured in a magazine

link here

http://www.carcruzin.com/august08/

and look up stealth cruiser

Phate
31-12-08, 12:47 PM
Ah it's that one, I remember :)

Andyf
31-12-08, 01:45 PM
Looks nice, very tidy install (although your exhaust pipe is on the wrong side and your badges are on back to front in one picture ;) )

arwilson80
31-12-08, 03:01 PM
I'm ordering one this weekend too... Mine has a small blowout at the back box / centre section joint, and another small one on the top of the back box. My my what a shame..!. ;)

SimonMGZS
31-12-08, 07:45 PM
Looks nice, very tidy install (although your exhaust pipe is on the wrong side and your badges are on back to front in one picture ;) )

yeah i did spot that and i did ask them and what it was is when the photos were taken they did not take one from one side so they had to flip the back end round to the side they wanted to put in the mag

SimonMGZS
31-12-08, 07:46 PM
Ah it's that one, I remember :)

you are stiil welcome to come and take some pics