PDA

View Full Version : Brake Probs

Ricks180
06-01-09, 01:21 PM
Hi guys, just changed my rear discs, pads, calipers and caliper mounting bracket on my car and had all four wheels bled, But for a while i had the SRS light illuminated on my dash although that seems to have now gone out. The problem i am having now is no brakes unless i pump the pedal. The handbrake is working fine its just the footbrake. The guy at my local garage said they just need bedding in. I have drove around for about ten miles but its still the same. HELP ME PLEASE.

Boot Hill Bandit
06-01-09, 01:37 PM
the brakes need bleeding properly by the sounds of it.........I do believe they are 'vacuum filled' or that could be the clutch?? I'm not sure :laugh:

pads take 100 miles to bed in normally..........sometimes more depending on manufacturer. You aren't supposed to do any heavy or prolonged braking during that period either.

The SRS light is likely to be the plastic connector block under the seat.........moving the seat on the runners sometimes disturbs this and will need checking to see if it is loose or in need of a clean then cable tying together to make sure it doesn't come loose again.

Jim

grimmy
06-01-09, 05:12 PM
definatley they need bled, no pedal means air in system

stamford
06-01-09, 05:24 PM
Did you use hose clamps when removing the calipers? This will indicate how much fluid loss may have occurred. A complete system bleed consists:

left hand front brake
right hand rear
right hand front
left hand rear
When you bled the brakes how did you do it? Did you check the reservoir level during this process?

Ricks180
06-01-09, 05:25 PM
thanks guys i'll get them redone

Ricks180
06-01-09, 06:16 PM
Did you use hose clamps when removing the calipers? This will indicate how much fluid loss may have occurred. A complete system bleed consists:

left hand front brake
right hand rear
right hand front
left hand rear
When you bled the brakes how did you do it? Did you check the reservoir level during this process?

yeah we did them all and checked the level after each one. We'll have another go tomorrow.